Become a Patron!

Best gauge kanthal?

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I want to start building my own coils on a troll v2 and I want to use kanthal but I need to know what gauge to buy I was leaning towards 28 but I'm not sure what the gauge really does to affect you're coil?

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Why not SS? It's as easy to work with, and is fine for watt or if you ever want to run in TC. As to gauge for either, what kind of builds are you looking to do?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If you want to build with Kanthal go with 24 AWG.

Easy to work with and the coils will last a good long time with proper care!

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why not SS? It's as easy to work with, and is fine for watt or if you ever want to run in TC. As to gauge for either, what kind of builds are you looking to do?

I read the safety thing that regarded kanthal and nichrome as the safest and I don't use TC it's too complicated for me. Im a beginner just getting my first RDA and I've never built a coil before so I wanted something safe and popular so I have more people to ask about it.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea a 5 or 6 wrap with 22,24 guage kanthal is simple and efficient

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or if you wanna get a little better do a parallel 26 guage. Just as easy better flavor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I paid 15 for 30ft of kanthal did I get ripped off?
Kidney Puncher Wire is one of the most expensive but top quality wire and it's $4.50 for 30ft, $14.95 for 250ft. Temco, excellent quality also is $7.50 for 250ft.

So yes, they really ripped you off big time.

What brand is it?

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kidney Puncher Wire is one of the most expensive but top quality wire and it's $4.50 for 30ft, $14.95 for 250ft. Temco, excellent quality also is $7.50 for 250ft.

So yes, they really ripped you off big time.

What brand is it?

https://www.directvapor.com/accessories/kanthal-wire.html

Was wondering why it had no reviews , lol what a ripoff and direct vapour is way cheaper then my local vape store. Well either way I'd rather have my RDA cotton. And wire all come together instead of seperate still kinda bummed about the ripoff but it is what it is.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.directvapor.com/accessories/kanthal-wire.html

Was wondering why it had no reviews , lol what a ripoff and direct vapour is way cheaper then my local vape store. Well either way I'd rather have my RDA cotton. And wire all come together instead of seperate still kinda bummed about the ripoff but it is what it is.
Check out the link on that page, they state they have a "low price guarantee". I say test it, give them the example with links to Kidney Puncher, Temco, Pure Atomist, Atomizer Wick, etc. and their prices.

Tell them you want a refund, I'd be curious on what they say.

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Check out the link on that page, they state they have a "low price guarantee". I say test it, give them the example with links to Kidney Puncher, Temco, Pure Atomist, Atomizer Wick, etc. and their prices.

Tell them you want a refund, I'd be curious on what they say.
I'll probably do it after I receive my stuff I don't want to get screwed over somehow. Anyway do you need an ohm meter if you have a mod that reads ohms? I'm a noob

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to a local B&M today to pick up some 24 guage Kanthal and they want to sell it for $2.00 a foot. I just declined and ordered online.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll probably do it after I receive my stuff I don't want to get screwed over somehow. Anyway do you need an ohm meter if you have a mod that reads ohms? I'm a noob
Yes...... an atomizer ohm meter at very least. I suggest a good volt ohm meter also....

Ask yourself.... if the only diagnostic tool you have is your mod.... how do you diagnose issues with the mod......how do you know that 0.1ohm coil is really 0.1 ohms.... do you just assume the meter part of the mod is always correct.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes...... an atomizer ohm meter at very least. I suggest a good volt ohm meter also....

Ask yourself.... if the only diagnostic tool you have is your mod.... how do you diagnose issues with the mod......how do you know that 0.1ohm coil is really 0.1 ohms.... do you just assume the meter part of the mod is always correct.

Idk it's not like I'm trying to go for some super low ohm I'm just gonna build maybe .5 at the lowest probably mostly .8/.9 so it doesn't seem that important to have super accurate reading I just wanna build and vape not cloud chasing or flavor chasing just vaping

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk it's not like I'm trying to go for some super low ohm I'm just gonna build maybe .5 at the lowest probably mostly .8/.9 so it doesn't seem that important to have super accurate reading I just wanna build and vape not cloud chasing or flavor chasing just vaping
You want to be accurate, I recommend USA Ohm Meters for they are known to be the most accurate. You can get a good one for under $20, it's a worthy investment.
http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com/Standard-Ohm-Meters_c2.htm

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to a local B&M today to pick up some 24 guage Kanthal and they want to sell it for $2.00 a foot. I just declined and ordered online.
That is so ridiculous, I also went into a National Vape Chain store they sold it for a $1 a foot and squares of Cotton for .50¢ each. Where my favorite B&M gives it away plus provides a build station for anyones use along with basic tools. The house cotton they give away is Cotton Bacon at that along with having a big box of Rayon, all free if you build/wick there. What does this do? It fosters customer loyalty, rave reviews that bring in new and out of town customers. I can buy pretty much everything they sell there cheaper online but ya know what? Because of the environment and relationship they build with customers I will continue to support their business. That IMO is the only way B&M's will survive.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wire is cheap, get 24g, 26g and 28g. You can then decide what best works for you

This ^^^

No-one can tell you which gauge wire you're going to like best ... heck, there is no best gauge wire, it all depends on your preferences.

For single wire coils 24, 26 and 28 will cover pretty much anything you might want to experiment with.

Have fun r055co :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well if you can feel ok about an error to the high side ofb.4ohm on a .5ohm coil. I guessvl thats OK.. BUT what if that same error was to the low side... now you .5 coil is .1........ this could be a big issue if you batteries are not up to it. Granted your mod might not fire the coil.... but you might also not have a tool that can tell you for sure if the issue is the mod or the coil with the problem.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say start with 26G and 24G.
If you have thin wire that brings the coil resistance up too much you can always twist several strands together.

VU Sponsors