Become a Patron!

Best Flavor Coil For The Kanger Subtank Mini?

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I only use my subtank while at work on my iStick 50W. I have the Tobeco Super Tank RDA at home on my iStick 100W - great flavor! Anyways, like I said, I can only use my subtank at work, and need a good flavor coil for the RBA section. I have most kanthal and Ni80 wire at my disposal, so any flavor enhancing build you suggest will be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for clouds for this build, just flavor.

Thanks!
CC

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No info on a decent coil for this setup?

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have tried a bunch of builds mostly with 26 gauge ranging from 0.9-1.2 ohms. Had the goldilocks syndrome; 0.9 was too hot, 1.2 was not producing density I wanted. I have settled on 2.4mm diameter though; 3mm cuts the airflow too much, 2mm would spit or hit dry sometimes.

Right now I have best result with a 24 gauge 9 wrap coming in at between 0.6 and 0.7 ohms. Warm but not hot with the 24g. Vapes nice flavor and density at 23+ W (3.7+ volts). I think you could try 8 wraps of 24g for a little more warmth if you like.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, that's what I did last night. Every friggin' Clapton I made wouldn't fit into the screw space, so I said whatever and threw a 24g kanthal 6/7 wrap single coil on there. Needed something to use at work in case the one that was on there decided to die on me.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont know if it would fit, but for the past week, Ive been on a mission for flavor as well. Every coil I tried would just make the flavor bland. I believe your RBA is a single coil but im gonna tell you what i use and you take it from there.The one Ive been using lately and stopped my insanity was triple twisted 26gauge Kanthal, 7 wrap vertical dual micro-coil, its at .25 ohms. I wasnt worried about clouds with this but it did produce alot of vapor, but I also have my airflow wide open and its still the best flavor. I also have Ni80 but the wraps you would need is too much. But my advice to you is to try some triple twisted vertical coils, it gave me the best results so far, but I will continue building for better.

BreeZyCloudZ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is the pic of my setup, i forgot to tell you Ive also been using iTEO style wicking(have to lookup) but basically you wet your wick before threading through coil for a thicker wick

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont know if it would fit, but for the past week, Ive been on a mission for flavor as well. Every coil I tried would just make the flavor bland. I believe your RBA is a single coil but im gonna tell you what i use and you take it from there.The one Ive been using lately and stopped my insanity was triple twisted 26gauge Kanthal, 7 wrap vertical dual micro-coil, its at .25 ohms. I wasnt worried about clouds with this but it did produce alot of vapor, but I also have my airflow wide open and its still the best flavor. I also have Ni80 but the wraps you would need is too much. But my advice to you is to try some triple twisted vertical coils, it gave me the best results so far, but I will continue building for better.
Nice but I don't know how feasible that would be in a subtank mini rba. I run a single vertical in my Vicious Ant Cyclone rda. Only way to get 24 gauge in there.

Attachments

• cyclonebuild.jpg
    cyclonebuild.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I went with a much higher gauge fused Clapton - 2x30 core with 40 outer. It fits well, and has great flavor.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I went with a much higher gauge fused Clapton - 2x30 core with 40 outer. It fits well, and has great flavor.
Really? Post a picture eventually next time you re-wick.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's a pic of the coil. I don't have a pic of the wicking process, but I have a pic of it wicked and primed.

FC.jpg

FC2.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry, I was mistaken. It's 2x28 with 36 outer. The 2x30 w/ 40 outer is in my Tobeco Super Tank RDA

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ramp up time is fairly quick but not super fast at 30 watts (it's on my iStick 50W). Reads 0.55Ω

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
hello,

Just signed up to comment on this thread. I'm going to be purchasing a Subox when my local stores get Em back in stock. I'm in Montreal and at least 2 stores are out of stock...

Flavour is the most important for me (not the cloud) so I'm really interested by your build. What do you mean 2x28 with 36 outer? Also, what gauge guitar string/wire did you use to build your Clapton coil?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's called a "Fused Clapton". Two 28 gauge wires wrapped with a 36 gauge wire.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh yeah - Welcome to Vaping Underground! It's a GREAT place to learn all about vaping.

MTLian

Member For 4 Years
thanks buddy! This forum looks great. It is the recipes section that first got me interested. I'm still considering trying my hand at some DIY flavours however I'm a little freaked about diacetyl. Vaping was partly a health decision (quitting smoking)

HYCE42

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you are not an advanced level builder or do not have access to a close vape shop that don't overcharge for builds a tiger coil build can actually give you pretty good flavor and will fit nicely in a subtank mini rba deck without much air flow restriction. A tiger coil is a regular wire twisted with a flat ribbon wire. I typically go with 26 gauge nichrome and 0.8 x 1mm kanthal flat ribbon wire. This way the nichrome helps shorten the ramp up time to almost zero. I would go with 2.0 or 2.5 mm diameter at around 5 to 6 wraps (max 7) You get pretty interesting flavor out of the tiger coil due to the flat ribbon wire. Try it if you are curious/adventurous.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had really good luck with a simple 24g spaced coil 3mm. I forgot how many wraps but it was .5 ohm

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I am running a parallel 28 gauge at 0.6+ now a days. 2.4mm ID, 7 parallel wraps. Easy fit in the rba without obstructing airflow.
I've given up on the claptons. The parallel coil just outperforms them at lower wattages.

Last edited:

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My favorite is an inline 28g dual coil. 5 wraps a piece around 2mm. It runs at 0.4
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, that'd work fine. I switched from single parallel to in-line duals in my Haze Dripper Tank (pic below). Didn't think of trying it in the ST Mini. Will give it a go.

https://******/photos/Vb6tSVTaigxaPL6f8

Attachments

• haze dual coil.jpg
    haze dual coil.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried the dual coils, and it didn't do much for me. My favorite has been the fused Clapton so far.
Here's a pic of the dual I tried:
KSMDC3.jpg

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried the dual coils, and it didn't do much for me. My favorite has been the fused Clapton so far.
Here's a pic of the dual I tried:
KSMDC3.jpg
What gauge did you try? I stick with 28 for dual/ parallel in the St Mini. Just not enough airflow for me to go below 0.5 ohms. I am waiting on my Billow Nano tank to arrive.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry, I can't remember right now - that pic is from a couple of months ago.

VU Sponsors