Become a Patron!

Best coil set up for mech??

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm really just looking for opinions. I have several mechs and don't really use them much because I can't find a set up to throw in them that I enjoy. I'll put set ups in them and they just don't chuck like they do in my other mods. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm really just looking for opinions. I have several mechs and don't really use them much because I can't find a set up to throw in them that I enjoy. I'll put set ups in them and they just don't chuck like they do in my other mods. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
I use as Claptons, 26g Claptoned with 36g or 2,28g Claptoned with 40g
Usually it settles around 0.17-0.2 ohms
BAM crew

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Stainless steel??
Yeah, stainless steel
SS316L to be exact.
I get it from either lightening Vapes or advanced vape supply.

BAM crew

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK I'll have to grab some soon anyways for my tc that runs ss exclusively. Once I do I'll give it a try. Thank u

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No worries.
I used to use the same thing with kanthal but ss has a lower resistance and gets hot quicker

BAM crew

I have a decent build for mechs, but it pulls 34.amp 147w. 3.5mm 5 wrap 20g K. I realize this is dangerous without the right batteries and authentic mods and attys. The ramp time is immediate and your lungs are full in about 2 seconds. I use it on my able and able only with a druga.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Less is more with a mech, especially a tube. Single core 26/36 316l Clapton's are my go to. The ID and wrap count varies per atomizer, but I aim for somewhere between .18-.21.

My other go-to's are a simple fused Clapton, 2x24g/36g N80, 2.4mm ID, 5/6 wrap, and a 3x28g/36g 316L Alien 2.4mm ID, 5/6 wrap, both ohm out around .18-.2.

I'll get a little more courageous with my ohm rating if I'm building for a parallel mech, but all of those do right by me via a tube, and they're all safe with the proper batteries.

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Less is more with a mech, especially a tube. Single core 26/36 316l Clapton's are my go to. The ID and wrap count varies per atomizer, but I aim for somewhere between .18-.21.

My other go-to's are a simple fused Clapton, 2x24g/36g N80, 2.4mm ID, 5/6 wrap, and a 3x28g/36g 316L Alien 2.4mm ID, 5/6 wrap, both ohm out around .18-.2.

I'll get a little more courageous with my ohm rating if I'm building for a parallel mech, but all of those do right by me via a tube, and they're all safe with the proper batteries.
Awesome I'll try some of those thanks!

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem man.

I gotta admit though, I'm under the assumption that you're building for a tube mech, and if this is the case they are limited in their capabilities. If this is the case, you've only got one battery and there's only so much you can do with that without pushing the envelope. The same exact build on the same exact RDA hits noticeably harder when you've got two batteries sharing the load.

Anyways, this is all conjecture at this point.

We are talking about single battery tube mechs here, yea?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Are you using single or dual batteries? (Or more)

Also if the latter are they series or parralel?

These things will affect the types of coils to go for

Single battery keep it simple so simple wraps or claptons as you'll be changing the battery lots otherwise don't build low ohm on these

Series fused, twisted, aliens etc you can experiement with other builds as you'll have the voltage to cover it although need to watch the resistence doesn't drop too low which when you go for staple coils etc they take up a lot of room so you have fewer wraps as a result, as such tend to be on the lower resistence side which isn't good for amp draw

Parallel dont have to worry so much on the amp draw although still be mindful on super low ohm builds as with all mechs know your ohms law....I would say coils that don't have a massive ramp up time suit parralel mods although you can experiement with coils that end up having a lower resistence staples in here will shine

Last edited:

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good on you for staying within the realm of caution, and please continue to do so. I've built my tubes both inside and out of the purported limitations and have (knock on wood) yet to even vent a battery, but I noticed my single battery mechs struggling with builds I knew weren't undoubtedly safe. I enjoyed the vape I got from them, yes, but I found myself constantly wondering, and on a hit to hit basis mind you, how close I was to liftoff.

Take into account that I get a much more comfortable, comprehensive vape when I build well and within my CDR and it makes me question why so many out there push a single battery so hard. It's one battery. It's only capable of so much. And a good builder can provide themselves a blissful vape with a well executed coil or two.

If you're not getting enough out of a tube, get yourself a parallel. The same build on a tube will hit much, much harder with two batteries sharing the load, and you can build a shade lower without worry.

If that's not enough, get a series. Nothing rips like a series mech.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total fear monger, but you pet the dragon, you don't go balls first into the den.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm still fairly new to using mechs, and in fact I'm less than 5 months into vaping. Despite this, I aim for either .11 or .1 ohms on all of my single 18650 tube mechs... using VTC5A batteries only. Feeling safe and relaxed.

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm still fairly new to using mechs, and in fact I'm less than 5 months into vaping. Despite this, I aim for either .11 or .1 ohms on all of my single 18650 tube mechs... using VTC5A batteries only. Feeling safe and relaxed.
Hell yeah haha

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good on you for staying within the realm of caution, and please continue to do so. I've built my tubes both inside and out of the purported limitations and have (knock on wood) yet to even vent a battery, but I noticed my single battery mechs struggling with builds I knew weren't undoubtedly safe. I enjoyed the vape I got from them, yes, but I found myself constantly wondering, and on a hit to hit basis mind you, how close I was to liftoff.

Take into account that I get a much more comfortable, comprehensive vape when I build well and within my CDR and it makes me question why so many out there push a single battery so hard. It's one battery. It's only capable of so much. And a good builder can provide themselves a blissful vape with a well executed coil or two.

If you're not getting enough out of a tube, get yourself a parallel. The same build on a tube will hit much, much harder with two batteries sharing the load, and you can build a shade lower without worry.

If that's not enough, get a series. Nothing rips like a series mech.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a total fear monger, but you pet the dragon, you don't go balls first into the den.
Thanks. I've been looking into series and parallels actually. I have a parallel tc mod that I like a lot but I'm ready for something different. The battery life is great on it tho

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Carambrda, I'm not gonna crucify you for building that low, but please keep in mind and be fully aware of the fact that on a fresh battery you're drawing 37 amps on a battery rated at 25 amp CDR, and I'm calculating that based on nominal voltage. My VTC5a's hit plenty hard on builds around that range, but my HB6's stayed much, much cooler and did so on the same exact setup.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@Carambrda, I'm not gonna crucify you for building that low, but please keep in mind and be fully aware of the fact that on a fresh battery you're drawing 37 amps on a battery rated at 25 amp CDR, and I'm calculating that based on nominal voltage. My VTC5a's hit plenty hard on builds around that range, but my HB6's stayed much, much cooler and did so on the same exact setup.
It's actually closer to 35 amps due to the added resistance of the brass tube mod itself (and the contacts inside the mod) as well as due to the fact the freshly charged VTC5A drops a tad below 3.7 volts if you're drawing more than 30 amps from it (like maybe 35 amps). But anyway... here's a pretty good explanation why I feel safe and relaxed about it.
Code:
https://youtu.be/rukKh92ZCOM?t=6309
Further, when the battery is freshly charged, on the first hit the battery is still fully rested and cooled off, and, because it hits so incredibly hard when it's freshly charged, your normal reaction will be to take just a very short hit so it doesn't last much longer than only one second or else you simply scorch your cotton wick. With the battery freshly charged you certainly don't start chain vaping it right away. That's just because you're not stupid. Finally, my most expensive mod right now is the Purge Mods Suicide King Diamond brass. You're not going to want to vent your battery inside a $415 (excl. international shipping cost) mod. What you're going to do instead is you're going to spend a whole fucking lot of your time doing your homework on battery safety. :)

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ha. Fair enough. I saw "5 months into vaping" and ".1 ohm build on a tube " in the same comment and cringed for a split second.

Yea, if you know the ins and outs like the back of your hand then, by all means, go right ahead and build the way you want. It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

I still prefer a wide margin for safety. If I was in the market for a hit similar to what you're experiencing I'd go with a parallel mod and probably build a smidge higher, but I suppose we all decide for ourselves what we want out of our vape.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ha. Fair enough. I saw "5 months into vaping" and ".1 ohm build on a tube " in the same comment and cringed for a split second.

Yea, if you know the ins and outs like the back of your hand then, by all means, go right ahead and build the way you want. It's not something I would personally do, but to each their own.

I still prefer a wide margin for safety. If I was in the market for a hit similar to what you're experiencing I'd go with a parallel mod and probably build a smidge higher, but I suppose we all decide for ourselves what we want out of our vape.
Well I also own the Vaperz Cloud Hammer of God V3 Limited Edition brass (King) parallel/series mech, the Vaperz Cloud XXX brass tube mech with the XTension tube on it to convert to series mech, and (in total) four Purge Mods tube mechs with (also in total) two Assassin extension tubes to convert to series mech(s). On a series mech─with two VTC5As in series─the sweet spot for me right now is at .23 ohms.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well between the two of us we've certainly managed to derail this thread. You keep doing what you do and I'll do the same. I'm just glad I outgrew the phase you're in.

If you have vaped for a while and know what your doing I suggest a 5 wrap 24 gauge nichrome it should be around a .05

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Haha I like to think I know what I'm doing but that's not completely true... I'm still learning but I'll give it a try! I usually vaper at around .13 myself lol. I honestly need an ohms law tutor, I don't know if anyone can relate but it confuses the fuck out of me and all attempts I've made to understand the info has been too long winded for me to understand. I play it safe tho when it comes to my mechs

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Haha I like to think I know what I'm doing but that's not completely true... I'm still learning but I'll give it a try! I usually vaper at around .13 myself lol. I honestly need an ohms law tutor, I don't know if anyone can relate but it confuses the fuck out of me and all attempts I've made to understand the info has been too long winded for me to understand. I play it safe tho when it comes to my mechs

Have you ever seen this pic planet? this is ohms law in action

V= Voltage is the workforce think of it as pushing the current around
I= Amp or current is the flow of electricity
R = Resistence impedes the flow of the current

ohms-law-illustrated.gif

Their relationship can be expressed in the pyramid

dcp3.gif

V= I xR
I = V / R
R = V / I

Now it does get more complex when you bring power (wattage) into the mix but for measuring your Amp draw (I = V / R) this is what you need to know...I'll happily go into the next part if this part makes sense :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nope, nobody can relate... there is nothing confusing about how amps equals volts divided by ohms. :grumpy:

I'm a long time fused Clapton user. In ss kanthol and nichrome. I used to like them from 75 to 130watts on my regulated devices. Basically warm flavorful Vape. I used some arsenal 21g 6 wrap 2.5id dual coil at .1 ish on a 22mm goon and my new hellboy it's a delicious vape that Chuck's without that hot Clapton juice spit and pops. I honestly think it might be the smaller diameter rda I own the 24mm and for some reason the 22 just always was significantly more flavorful
Love the wire wish I knew what it's made of so I can find it cheaper. looks and acts like nichrome from what I can tell

dhomes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dual parallel nichrome 24, 5 wraps on 3mm bit. .09. perfect for short 1 ~3 sec drags and still a lot of vapor. use safe batts! (I only use sonys from rtd vapor on mechs)

TumTumVapes

Member For 4 Years
Ive been vaping on my single 18650, parallel 24g ss 3.5mm 6 wrap at like .17ohm. I really like it, been playing around with SS wire. So far really like it.
My series stacked, well honestly I've been lazy. Using pre-built clapton wire 36 wrap 26 core 7 wraps on 3mm at .56 ohm

sgenn99

Member For 4 Years
What would you all suggest for something like the Pulse 24 kit. I'm using the 20700 Ijoy battery, and I have a single coil framed staple in the atty itself. I like the flavor, but I could do with a bit more heat. Any suggestions on good yet affordable prebiult coils I can get my hands on? I really want to love this mod, but I can't seem to find the right setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What would you all suggest for something like the Pulse 24 kit. I'm using the 20700 Ijoy battery, and I have a single coil framed staple in the atty itself. I like the flavor, but I could do with a bit more heat. Any suggestions on good yet affordable prebiult coils I can get my hands on? I really want to love this mod, but I can't seem to find the right setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was having a hard time finding a good build for the pulse 24 but I've got it dialed in now. I've been running 6 wrap parallel 26g N80 dual coil on a 2.5mm bit. It's important for the coils to be spaced as far apart from one another as you can get, so that the coils are directly in front of the airflow tubes almost touching the airflow (but obviously be careful that they aren't actually touching the tubes)

It's not a hot vape, but it's warm and very flavorful.

Hi guys need some help. My mod is Wismec Luxotic BF and my atomizer is Drop. The only wire that i know that is applicable for my mod is kanthal. Is there any suggestion that you can give me regarding other wires that i can use. BTW its dual coil.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi guys need some help. My mod is Wismec Luxotic BF and my atomizer is Drop. The only wire that i know that is applicable for my mod is kanthal. Is there any suggestion that you can give me regarding other wires that i can use. BTW its dual coil.

SS and Nichrome you can use as well

SS316L is probably the most widely popular of the stainless steels to use. Careful dry burning and checking for hot spots though, a gentle glow is all you need. if you over heat during this stage; the coil is all but a write off. This metal is good for both power and temp control as it noticeably changes resistance when heated. This metal has a lower resitivity than Kanthal so if you need to, you can get that starting resistance down (although on smaller decks it can cause the opposite problem where it’s starts too low)

N80 (or Ni80 or Nichrome) some people don’t get on with metal and can be allergic to it, others like me have no issue with it though and vape on it fine. Just make sure to dry burn and heat the coil to break it in. It has similar resistive properties to Kanthal in that it doesn’t change resistance much under heating conditions, although again resitvity is slightly less than Kanthal so you can get that starting resistance down easier

VU Sponsors