Become a Patron!

Best coil resistance for 100% VG?

I mostly use Kind Juice liquid, which is 100% VG and organic and all that. I've just ordered a Kanger EVOD PRO V2 Starter kit that comes with 0.5 and 1.0 ohm coils. I know it's a 2500 mAh battery, and I presume it puts out something like 3.7 - 4 V because it charges through a 5 V microUSB port. Now, I don't know some of the numbers I'd need to make REAL calculations, but a 1 ohm coil ought to last twice as long as a .5 ohm coil unless Ohm's law (E=IR) has gotten screwy, and it hasn't. SO - can I get away with a 1 Ohm coil for the thjck VG fluid? Or do I need to use a lower-resistance one? Just curious. I'll find out empirically (by testing, that is) no matter what.

I'm still learning about this vaping stuff. I've bought several disappointing vape pens, and I hope this one makes me happy.

Thx,

- Rob

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lower resistance = more power (for same voltage). So more heat (more energy dissipated through the coil) which in turn means it vaporises more juice per second. Which leads to it needs to wick juice faster if it is lower resistance coil. So on the face of it the higher resistance option will be less likely to have an issue with high VG juices. But it is also possible that both will be capable of wicking fast enough. You just gotta try it, my experience with Kanger products is that they are often more likely to flood than to dry hit.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You only have two coil options 1.5 Ni-chrome (NiCr) or the 0.5 SS316L try them both and use the one you like.
Resistance has less to do with wicking high VG than the design of the coil. The nickel coil will not work in that mod it's for TC only.
I don't know for sure but I suspect the NiCr coil will have less of a ramp up time than the SS one
Also that's a semi regulated mod so Ohm's law doesn't directly apply, you need to add in the chip and its efficiency.
It probably has an 18650, I've taken apart a few mods with internal batteries and that's what they had soldered in place.

Thanks for the advice, folks. It looks like what's available and will best suit my needs are the CLOCC 0.5ohm SS 316L coils.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ability of an atomizer to handle max VG refers yo it's ability to pull thick juice.
This kind of starter atty is not really suited for max VG.

Unless this is a PG allergy issue, you should switch to juice with at least 30% PG.

The ability of an atomizer to handle max VG refers yo it's ability to pull thick juice.
This kind of starter atty is not really suited for max VG.

Unless this is a PG allergy issue, you should switch to juice with at least 30% PG.

Yep. Allergy issue. And Kanger seems to think that e-cig assembly is just fine for VG.

VU Sponsors