Become a Patron!

*** Before you copy and repost a recipe, please read this ***

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info, I'll be picking me up a note book and not putting anything on line. I don't want to infringe on people and their creations. HUGS

no worries.. just trying to keep every one safe, and not sorry..
others may view it differently.. but i know how i feel.. anything i post out in the open here on site.. is free game..
my recipes have gone world wide more than once.. however..
if i catch anyone selling tho.. i will stop posting and contact an attorney..
i already did for one b&m.. these are given freely, so others might learn from my mistakes :)

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll be picking me up a note book and not putting anything on line. I don't want to infringe on people and their creations. HUGS
What's working well for me is using hotrods calculator and saving the "portable folder" in my dropbox folder. Inventory and recipes are saved, encrypted, private, and accessible anywhere! Well with a PC anyway. I often copy/paste a recipe text or entire thread into a new recipe's notes and dial & click in the details/ingredients later when it's time to mix. Before I was using a phone app which worked ok but I like this backup solution muuuch better, and this app can grow with me, so many features and tools. I recommend the portable version, PM me if you need help <3 I don't have to do anything twice anymore and need to share this loooove

Some people like index cards too, more ideas for your recipe vault management... almost grabbed a rolodex at a garage sale for my vape station. Shoulda.

If you feel like reading a novel, grab your tooter and read on... Some of my favorite juices were from a vendor that stopped selling anything DIY or juice related, and 3 years later I asked/emailed if he still had the recipe for a few of the juices I remembered. His recipe book was lost during a relocation. I get sick when I see the email in my inbox, so much research and strokes of genius - gone.

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
What's working well for me is using hotrods calculator and saving the "portable folder" in my dropbox folder. Inventory and recipes are saved, encrypted, private, and accessible anywhere! Well with a PC anyway. I often copy/paste a recipe text or entire thread into a new recipe's notes and dial & click in the details/ingredients later when it's time to mix. Before I was using a phone app which worked ok but I like this backup solution muuuch better, and this app can grow with me, so many features and tools.

Some people like index cards too, more ideas for your recipe vault management... almost grabbed a rolodex at a garage sale for my vape station. Shoulda.

and yes, make back ups..
dont be like me and end up loosing your work ;) it sucks!!

MySaladDays

Member For 4 Years
One way to somewhat protect your work, and at least show it is yours and "your's first" is to start a blog with your recipes.

Publish your recipe on your blog first.......then post on forums an hour or so later.

That way, you have timestamps on your blog.

Place a small statement on your blog that your recipes will be duplicate posted on *forum of your choice* (insert name here) and that appearances on other internet sites require permission.

That is pretty much incontrovertible evidence of ownership. A blog will be primary source, and you will simply be "copying your recipe" to forums in as goodwill sharing.

It also provides you with 2 sources to show that recipes were lifted w/out permission.

vape.queen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One way to somewhat protect your work, and at least show it is yours and "your's first" is to start a blog with your recipes.

Publish your recipe on your blog first.......then post on forums an hour or so later.

Good looking out! What made you post this? Did something happen?

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think this is the common wisdom for foodies sharing confection recipes on Facebook too. This kind of consideration will hopefully be a part of vaping community culture in the future, all willing.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Place a small statement on your blog that your recipes will be duplicate posted on *forum of your choice* (insert name here) and that appearances on other internet sites require permission.

That is pretty much incontrovertible evidence of ownership. A blog will be primary source, and you will simply be "copying your recipe" to forums in as goodwill sharing.

It also provides you with 2 sources to show that recipes were lifted w/out permission.
That sounds great on paper but how is that going to stop someone from profiting from your hard work??

Let's Just Say: I am a crooked ejuice vender making my own juices. I take one of HIC's recopies and name it something different. HIC call's it "X" and I call it "Y". How is anyone going to know that I stole the "Y", ( that I make and sell to $20) from HIC??

piemasher

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
True.. and couldn't they just change one ingredient and it be "there's" again by adding or subtracting a drop or something? I think the recipes are going to have to end up being completely secret.... or it will get boosted. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SquareFeet

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
While there are a lot of great points made in this thread I can't help but think how awful my dinner times would be if cooks and bakers didn't share.

Apologies for resurrecting a dead (albeit stickied) post, but you've given me an idea @cjcaddy. With a few people talking about not sharing recipes anymore because of copying/reposting/reattributing/etc., and your mention of cooks and bakers, how about a bunch of people got together and made a book of e-juice recipes, and sold it? I know it wouldn't stop the copying, and might be an idea dead in the water because of that, but at least there's a higher chance of getting paid for recipes/combinations.

One of the best cookery books I've ever come across is The Flavour Thesaurus, and it would be great to get something like that for juices, possibly interspersed with actual recipes; or maybe mostly recipes with interesting flavour combinations as the minor part.

Just a thought...Would anyone be up for this?

jant

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am speaking only for myself. Others who post recipes here may or may not agree with me, but I hope they will post their opinions here, too!

It is common courtesy to ASK FIRST before re-posting other people's work elsewhere on the web!

Vapingunderground is where I have chosen to post and maintain my "HIC's" recipes -- because I like it here! This is where my recipe notes, tips, substitute ingredients, and people's comments are all readily available. Having those details together can be important for success with a recipe.

Out of acknowledgement for my choice to use vapingunderground as my "repository", out of common courtesy, and with the hope that DIYers will get all relevant information -- I would appreciate anyone re-posting my recipes (on Reddit or elsewhere else) to ASK me first, please! I would generally prefer that you link back to the original post here, because updates are frequently made - and they exist only here on vapingunderground.
Hi Hic,I am new to vaping and diying I love your recipes and have made quite a few of them .I am using eliquid calculator and storing the ones I make there
I have kept all the ones you requested not to repost private and gave you credit for all recipes I have used of yours is that acceptable or would you rather I just copy to my own files.Thanks for all the useful information and great recipes.

GT_1955

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just a note on internet copyright from an Australian perspective: a 332kb pdf download available here: http://www.copyright.org.au/acc_prod/AsiCommon/Controls/BSA/Downloader.aspx?iDocumentStorageKey=5b57d5f0-ede7-4542-b89b-7cf30f8a11a1&iFileTypeCode=PDF&iFileName=Internet - Copying and Downloading

If I understand it correctly, everything posted on a forum is copyrighted and therefore protected (at least under Aussie Law). Some material made freely available on the internet is distributed by its creators under Creative Commons licences. This is what I'd do if I still wanted people to download and use my original work (which includes recipes).

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
I am speaking only for myself. Others who post recipes here may or may not agree with me, but I hope they will post their opinions here, too!

It is common courtesy to ASK FIRST before re-posting other people's work elsewhere on the web!

Vapingunderground is where I have chosen to post and maintain my "HIC's" recipes -- because I like it here! This is where my recipe notes, tips, substitute ingredients, and people's comments are all readily available. Having those details together can be important for success with a recipe.

Out of acknowledgement for my choice to use vapingunderground as my "repository", out of common courtesy, and with the hope that DIYers will get all relevant information -- I would appreciate anyone re-posting my recipes (on Reddit or elsewhere else) to ASK me first, please! I would generally prefer that you link back to the original post here, because updates are frequently made - and they exist only here on vapingunderground.

HIC, Did you finally finish purging all of your rec's from the forum so you can sell them?
You left a lot of posts that said; "."
Kind if lame IMHO. Although I really liked your FA flavor reviews.
I don't really mind because we don't have the same kind of taste buds.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC, Did you finally finish purging all of your rec's from the forum so you can sell them?
You left a lot of posts that said; "."
Kind if lame IMHO. Although I really liked your FA flavor reviews.
I don't really mind because we don't have the same kind of taste buds.

If you had followed along at the time, you'd know those were mostly recipes I had over on ecx prior to 2015, when I was pretty new to DIY. None of them are recipes I use or list anywhere else now, and I've added more here on VU since then. Sometimes manufacturers change their flavorings & they don't work the same way in recipes; new/better flavorings become available that make old recipes obsolete; new info is released about flavoring components that many chose to avoid; and to put it nicely, not all recipes stand the test of time. Who wants something they no longer feel is good out there with their name on it? I don't. If you have never mixed a batch of a recipe you developed years ago and realized it simply doesn't work any more, you're light years ahead of me. (You'll notice my notes on FA flavors also change frequently. That's because I'm constantly trying new DIY ideas & new flavorings, thus discovering new qualities in the flavorings I use.)

FrostyMtl

Member For 4 Years
Hi HIC,
Goods points, well made, as always!
Have been reading your posts since 2014. :)
I agree with you, been playing with LB vanilla ice cream recently.
What do you think about the Inawera's reformulations?

VU Sponsors