Become a Patron!

Battery wrap question.

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Ok so not new to vapeing but new to rewraping. So is this worth wraping? Sorry for the hands just got off work. Lol
8f5f5d0e001afe3f85db56ec1b473290.jpg

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. What are we looking at here? That doesnt look like a normal place for a battery to vent. Is that adhesive or did you melt the wrapper?

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU. What are we looking at here? That doesnt look like a normal place for a battery to vent. Is that adhesive or did you melt the wrapper?
When i peeled the old wrap off this is what was under it. I don't think its adhesive it has no rige or depth to it. Thought maybe from the humidity?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Ive had juice get behind wrappers and do weird things when the battery gets warm. Have you tested it with a volt meter?

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Ive had juice get behind wrappers and do weird things when the battery gets warm. Have you tested it with a volt meter?
3.54 @ a 1\4 charge. The battery is only 3 months old. The wrap was nicked so figured I'd just wrap it again.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Sounds like a good battery. That unknown cell is about 84% charged if the voltage is 3.54 based on that most chargers charge to 4.2v. Without performing forensics or putting that battery in hand, one could be led to assume it is juice that got behind the wrapper and stained the battery shell. What is that battery? Is there any evidence of the staining around the top of the battery or is it exclusive to that location? Are there any tears or perforations of the skin of the battery not noticeable in the image provided?

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Couple of spots like that some smaller. Nothing along the top or bottom. It's a 18650 imren 3000mah max 30 amp. I use it in a regulated box.
Sounds like a good battery. That unknown cell is about 84% charged if the voltage is 3.54 based on that most chargers charge to 4.2v. Without performing forensics or putting that battery in hand, one could be led to assume it is juice that got behind the wrapper and stained the battery shell. What is that battery? Is there any evidence of the staining around the top of the battery or is it exclusive to that location? Are there any tears or perforations of the skin of the battery not noticeable in the image provided?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Couple of spots like that some smaller. Nothing along the top or bottom. It's a 18650 imren 3000mah max 30 amp. I use it in a regulated box.

Those batteries are pretty crappy but if it is charged and those spots are isolated, there is no damage and the battery is holding a charge one could definitely come to the conclusion the battery is usable.

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the help. They are pretty much back ups only so figured I'd practice wraping on them so if i need to wrap Samsung's i cold do a good job on them.
Those batteries are pretty crappy but if it is charged and those spots are isolated, there is no damage and the battery is holding a charge one could definitely come to the conclusion the battery is usable.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I always rewrap my batteries but only because I have extreme ocd and if my wrap color doesn't match my mod I hate using it lol. Also I'm always paranoid about safety which probably should be the only reason to re wrap. There's not much too learn tho, if you can hold a hair blower you earned the master wrapper batch already ;)

I'd wrap it just in case you need them for something, or as you said emergency back up.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks for the help. They are pretty much back ups only so figured I'd practice wraping on them so if i need to wrap Samsung's i cold do a good job on them.

Dont forget to put an insulator on there. Some people do and its a lesson you only want to learn from the experience of others.

DodgeSwinger72

Member For 1 Year
Dont forget to put an insulator on there. Some people do and its a lesson you only want to learn from the experience of others.
The black insolater was still in tact and in good shape. Just the wrap was nicked up from my old charger (could only grab them from the top or bottom) catching the wrap and tearing it. Like that.
8a3118409409df71c54e92bf633c7c59.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With batteries when in Doubt Throw it out in the recycle container at your local stores. But that I would try to clean with some Alcohol and the only thing I can say is a Con is that they are Imren. Good Luck~!

Last edited:

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Lol I think this is a reference to a post I made like 2 days ago. I was that some people.

Don’t be a me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a reference to you at all my good man. There are people who believe the wrap is insulator enough, until it isnt.

mattythornton

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a reference to you at all my good man. There are people who believe the wrap is insulator enough, until it isnt.

Oh I see... I’m not even special enough to get a post made in reference of my stupidity. I see how it is between us.
;)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Oh I see... I’m not even special enough to get a post made in reference of my stupidity. I see how it is between us.
;)

My mistake. I thought you were someone else. It was definitely about you.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
With batteries when in Doubt Throw it out in the recycle container at your local stores. Con is that they are Imren. Good Luck~!
This is me. I think I saw mention that there was slight imperfection(s) on casing.
Regardless, the brand (and it's 17A, not 30), + whatever that is/was wouldn't be worth the the concern of a $6 top of the line battery imo. But that's me. Show me something abnormal about one of my batteries, and it's life is over. Battery/battery related is weakest link to safety shield.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Is that pitting on the battery? Pitting would indicate arcing, which, will affect the internal chemistry of the battery. IMO, for the price of a new battery, I wouldn't bother rewrapping a pitted battery. But, if it fully charges and holds a charge, it might be ok. I just wouldn't bother, just in case, for all a new battery would cost.

VU Sponsors