Become a Patron!

Battery charger/power bank question.

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, so my gf bought a 4 cell (4x18650) power bank/charger. It's primary function is the role of power bank, but it also charges the batteries. I think it's a pretty cool idea since it can serve as a battery case, charge her phone or whatever else needs charging, provide 18650's if she needs them for her mods and act as a charger in a pinch.

The question that I have is, do the batteries need to be married? Do they even have to be the same model? In other words, can she toss in a pair of VTC5A's with a pair of 25R's? I'm trying to figure out if she needs to buy another set of 4. If that's the case she'd want high capacity cells, but then those cells wouldn't work for her mech mods.

Always a trade-off. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, so my gf bought a 4 cell (4x18650) power bank/charger. It's primary function is the role of power bank, but it also charges the batteries. I think it's a pretty cool idea since it can serve as a battery case, charge her phone or whatever else needs charging, provide 18650's if she needs them for her mods and act as a charger in a pinch.

The question that I have is, do the batteries need to be married? Do they even have to be the same model? In other words, can she toss in a pair of VTC5A's with a pair of 25R's? I'm trying to figure out if she needs to buy another set of 4. If that's the case she'd want high capacity cells, but then those cells wouldn't work for her mech mods.

Always a trade-off. ;)

Id seriously not be mixing the cells , ypu want them all the same brand and same type and age keep them married ,
so your keeping the charging on the same levels of each cell ,
it might not have a good balance Charging board,
so its best to stick to them all being the same cells same age.

even taking some out to use on mods knocks them out of alignment. Which is not advisable , even if its possible its not advised

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Always a trade-off. ;)

It's a trade off for sure :)

Mooch is our resident vapipng battery expert and here is his opinion on married batts. It's not a cut and dry thing, all you can do is watch the video and see how you feel about it afterwards.

For what it's worth, he does know his stuff very well.

Not to completely off topic but I have a question about batteries and I have no idea how to post my question... (sorry I'm new) any help would be greatly appreciated. And I already checked on Mooch's site and cannot find the answer. thanks!

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to completely off topic but I have a question about batteries and I have no idea how to post my question... (sorry I'm new) any help would be greatly appreciated. And I already checked on Mooch's site and cannot find the answer. thanks!

Hi TazzMom and welcome to VU :)

Your best bet is to create a thread in the 'Battery Junkies / Chargers' sub-forum and ask your question in your opening post there. If you go up to the top of this page you'll find a link to it, or click on this link to get there.

Once you're on that page, click on the red rectangle that says 'Post New Thread' near the top of the page. Put a few descriptive words in the 'Thread Title... ' area. That will be the subject that people will see. Then go into the large rectangle and enter your question. It's best if you give us some information about your issue, stuff like the hardware your using, any previous experience that's pertinent like what happened first and what you've tried so far, you get the idea.

Once you're happy with the post, click 'Create Thread' in red below where you entered your text and your new thread and first post will be created.

Hope that helps a bit.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Always a trade-off. ;)

A lot of chargers have individual channel charging ...i bung in different brands all the time when charging, my charger monitors what’s going on with each cell and never had any issues ...as to whether they discharge in a similar way I wouldn’t know so it might be worth checking with the manufacturer

Im sure the xtar dragon (the one I use) will cut off when an individual cell reaches a certain voltage limit (upper or lower) but I don’t really use it in power bank mode...but it does have test and refresh features so it would have to monitor what each cell is doing on the discharge anyway

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of chargers have individual channel charging ...i bung in different brands all the time when charging, my charger monitors what’s going on with each cell and never had any issues ...as to whether they discharge in a similar way I wouldn’t know so it might be worth checking with the manufacturer

Im sure the xtar dragon (the one I use) will cut off when an individual cell reaches a certain voltage limit (upper or lower) but I don’t really use it in power bank mode...but it does have test and refresh features so it would have to monitor what each cell is doing on the discharge anyway
His question is about using one of the power banks not a proper battery charger though

so its probably an assumption
Its not got most of the dual single independent Charing function that proper built in high drain chargers have in them ,

We dont know unless we know which one it is
an what it has got built in for protection or charging functions.

Or some of the built in chips in some If them might work ok

but isnt going to be anything like a proper independent battery charger that fits multiple cell types ,

we really dont know do we
what it is ?? or its actual chips within since has not said brand or type of power bank just its a power bank ?

so advice would be get a proper independent charger built for those high drain cells ,

Its all ways advisable to buy a proper external charger. For these type of high drain cells,

0a793e6c30bb5b59e7765616830a70e1.jpg
1a61e6593d1511bae42c0b914195737a.jpg
825c5b876cf6f18d830a0fab197e320f.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors