Become a Patron!

Basic safety question mec mod

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Should i toss a build out thats at .19 for a single battery mech i know .2 is the limit i was aiming for .22 idk how i missed it im usually pretty spot on. Im not super experienced with mech mods i know my basic rules asking more for experience and my own knowledge

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Should i toss a build out thats at .19 for a single battery mech i know .2 is the limit i was aiming for .22 idk how i missed it im usually pretty spot on. Im not super experienced with mech mods i know my basic rules asking more for experience and my own knowledge

Those guidelines are there for a reason make a new build

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people do it. I've run a .15 but it was pretty hot. So I switched out for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Batteries are going to play into this a lot. Building low on a single tube mech is not terrible to do if your batteries can handle the discharge needs. I frequently will build down to .13 or so on a single tube mech. Its good to be careful while learning but IMO .19 is a pretty good place on a single battery tube with the right battery.

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I wish i could i chopped em pretty low but its not prob its not lile im in love with the build you know
Can you lengthen the legs a bit to achieve the .2? Just a thought............

Angelv942

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Batteries are going to play into this a lot. Building low on a single tube mech is not terrible to do if your batteries can handle the discharge needs. I frequently will build down to .13 or so on a single tube mech. Its good to be careful while learning but IMO .19 is a pretty good place on a single battery tube with the right battery.
Thanks jwill iv studied up on batterys and there limits not what the company says the limits are. But what they actually are im going to try it out if its hot ill toss it right away i respect you input very much thanks for taking the time bro

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The reason why those guidelines are there is simply because we all got to start somewhere. To stay at or above .2 ohms on a single battery mech with a 20A battery, doesn't make it safe. These typical round cells we use for vaping never are safe. They're not designed to be used outside a fully protected battery pack with a protection circuit. There are no hard and fast numbers that either are safe or are unsafe to vape. Battery safety is all shades of grey. It's about reducing the risks as much as possible without interfering too much with how we want to vape. So when people tell you to not exceed the CDR rating of your battery, it's not because it's safe. The CDR number was not picked because it's safe. Rather, it was picked because it just seems like a reasonable number to recommend to new vapers to start. The higher you go above the CDR rating, the more added risk. The lower you go below the CDR, the more added safety. It's good to recommend safety. There are things that you can learn to make vaping safer. But nevertheless I feel every vaper should have the right to decide for theirselves how they choose to vape.

That said, the major enemy when it comes to dealing with these round cells is heat. Above 45°C (113°F) is where they start aging faster. To learn the fact the battery only heats up when you press and hold the fire button, and cools down again after you let go, is not exactly called rocket surgery. How long you hold the button down and how long you wait between pulls is going to affect the battery temperature. As long as you can make absolutely perfectly sure the battery does never ever ever get warmer than just warm or not warmer than something in between lukewarm and warm, there's very little risk that the battery will start venting. It's all about knowing when to give it a rest. The only real problem is if the button gets pressed on accident for a long period or something goes wrong with the mod causing it to start auto-firing thus starting to discharge the battery continuously, as that's when the battery temperature will just keep rising and rising all the way up to levels that it will be asking for trouble. The recommendation to stay at or below the CDR is taking that also into account, as, with someone who is new to using a mech, we can't really be sure if this someone already knows how to prevent accidental button presses before they can happen, and knows how to safely stop a mech from auto-firing in the rare event that it does start auto-firing. So basically the CDR is all we recommend to new vapers, after which we just let them find their own path. But in order for people to not get lost whilst they try to find their own path, I'd say grab the Samsung 20S (30A battery) as your next first logical step towards mech nirvana:

https://www.imrbatteries.com/samsung-20s-18650-2000mah-30a-battery

https://www.illumn.com/18650-samsung-inr18650-20s-2000mah-high-discharge-flat-top.html

https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-p/samsung-20s.htm

Here's Mooch's test results page for the Samsung 20S:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...ng-18650-right-now-beats-hb6-and-vtc6a.864225

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you are new, stick to the CDR of the battery. Use only high quality brand name batteries (Samsung, Sony, LG). If you are worried, simply use a battery with a higher CDR. The run time will be shorter, but you will not need to worry about +/_ 0.01 or 0.02 ohms. Example.. 3000mah at 20A CDR = 0.21 ohm coils at 20A. vs 2000mah 30A CDR = 0.15 ohm at 30A.
CDR is constant discharge rate. This is the amount of amps you can safely pull without damage to the battery or over heating..
Example, if your mod sticks on at 30A draw, using a 30A CDR battery... it will simply continue to fire until drained without over heating. Mind you your atty would likely get pretty screwed, but the battery will not blow up.
Short version.. sacrificing some run time for a cooler battery isn't a bad idea.

VU Sponsors