Become a Patron!

Bad taste after cleaning

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spent a whole year trying to figure a way to clean coils. Never had any success. Bad taste or gum up after less than a tankful, to hard to draw and a host of other troubles. That was the reason I got into rebuilding stock animizers. Every tank I ever owned which is in the eighty's I presently own I would sit down and learn how to coil and rewick them and they then vape better than new. Rebuild them you can use better wire and wick and play around with different air hole sizes (vertical coils). Wife still uses animizers but I have totally switched to RDTA's. U-Tube is your friend for rebuilding animizers. CHEERS!.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spent a whole year trying to figure a way to clean coils. Never had any success. Bad taste or gum up after less than a tankful, to hard to draw and a host of other troubles. That was the reason I got into rebuilding stock animizers. Every tank I ever owned which is in the eighty's I presently own I would sit down and learn how to coil and rewick them and they then vape better than new. Rebuild them you can use better wire and wick and play around with different air hole sizes (vertical coils). Wife still uses animizers but I have totally switched to RDTA's. U-Tube is your friend for rebuilding animizers. CHEERS!.
I've started out building a long time ago by rebuilding PT1 coil heads with 32G, but at this time in vaping I see no point in that.
Replaceable coil heads are just that, replaceable and if you are able to rebuild then you'll be much better off doing it with an RTA/RDTA.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've started out building a long time ago by rebuilding PT1 coil heads with 32G, but at this time in vaping I see no point in that.
Replaceable coil head are just that, replaceable and it you are able to rebuild then you'll be much better off doing it with with an RTA/RDTA.

I agree; atomizers made to be rebuilt are much easier, and generally have a lot more room to work. The only point I could find in learning to rebuild T3S's was that it made me brave enough to buy a kayfun. :) It definitely didn't improve the T3S's vape.

Andria

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Replaceable coil heads are just that, replaceable and if you are able to rebuild then you'll be much better off doing it with with an RTA/RDTA.
I as well started out building with Protank 1 coils four years ago. then moved up to the duels. I still rebuild them for people. Likely still one of the most used coils around. Still sell a ton of them. CHEERS!

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree; atomizers made to be rebuilt are much easier, and generally have a lot more room to work. The only point I could find in learning to rebuild T3S's was that it made me brave enough to buy a kayfun. :) It definitely didn't improve the T3S's vape.

Andria
I find the stock animizers much easier than the rebuildable animizers. Only good rebuilable animizer in my opinion is the Cleito RBA but it is no better than rebuilding the stock coils with parallel 26G SS.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right on the tanks. I only do that intense cleaning if I'm switching to a whole different flavor of ejuice. If I'm using the same ejuice I just wash it out with Dawn soap and rinse with hot water (using gloves because our hot water is scolding hot, LOL!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Much better than how I did the other day. Dry burned everything off the coils, underestimated cooldown time for the claptons, then burned a coil shaped mark in my thumb with my attempt to remove the deck from the mod. :cuss2:I scalded my already burned thumb in hot water when washing.:gaah: Double burn. It hurt off and on all day.:tantrum:

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, some coils will stay hot for a while. :-D

Zander

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Much better than how I did the other day. Dry burned everything off the coils, underestimated cooldown time for the claptons, then burned a coil shaped mark in my thumb with my attempt to remove the deck from the mod. :cuss2:I scalded my already burned thumb in hot water when washing.:gaah: Double burn. It hurt off and on all day.:tantrum:
I've done that before... I sure won't do it again. LOL!

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A coil is 3-4 dollars and will last 1 or 2 weeks. A pack of smokes is 5 dollars. I was a 2 pack a day guy. So forgive me if I don't worry about the cost of disposable coils.

If you want to save money rta/rdta/rda is where it's at.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Depends on the coil, the juice you vape and, how much you vape. I had one juice that just obliterated coils but was so dang tastey. The baby beast coils are about $5 each and I would blow through one in a day of two. That was my main reason for switching to building and mixing. Nothing wrong with using prebuilt it was just to pricey for me with what and how I vape.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only coils (factory) I tried cleaning were different, they were the tiny ones in a metal tube with silica wicks. I never had much luck, tried water, tried rubbing alcohol. Tried patting them dry and leaving for days. Even with nothing but water and days of drying the flavor afterwards sucked monkey nuts. It was muted and tasted like taking a sip of soda that was just the remnants in melted ice water.

I would assume (though I may be wrong) that other premade disposable coil heads, the type packed with cotton, would take even longer to dry thoroughly. More pain in the ass than it's worth imho. I rinse my diy coils under water and dry fire but don't wash my wicks anymore. Some factory disposables may be easier to rebuild than others or for those with little booger pickers and lots of patience. Not for my sausage fingers.

In my limited experience wicks are one of two ways. Brand new or screwed. There's no magic I've found to revive them through washing/drying/cleaning and reusing them.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What's worse than a dry hit x'2 is an wire hit, a hot spot vape. RDA and builders know, just a small touch of metal from top cap or something will do it. Had one in a cricket a long time ago, it sucked bad, my once and hopefully last, accidental of course.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Time is a good dude. He's just having a little fun :giggle:

... and r055co is a nice guy who shares good info for people seeking it, threads on here or YT comments. I don't recall ever seeing him acting like Mr. Vape Master. Those guys don't last long here or give that attitude up quickly, but like most hobbies, they'll be a few of those guys roaming around.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
... and r055co is a nice guy who shares good info for people seeking it, threads on here or YT comments. I don't recall ever seeing him acting like Mr. Vape Master. Those guys don't last long here or give that attitude up quickly, but like most hobbies, they'll be a few of those guys roaming around.
Thanx, I appreciate the complement.

:cheers:

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cleaned my baby beast coils with alcohol and hot water by letting them soak then let them dry for a day now tastes like dirt when I take a vape any suggestions
Troublemaker! Just kidding, but seriously...cleaning a used pre built coil is less than ideal. I have tried everything from alcohol to hot water to PG with and without a soft pipe cleaner type brush. It never tastes that good or wicks as well after.
Dissecting the pre built coil and installing new wire / cotton is much better in my opinion and if you are going to be spending the time to build then you may as well either get the RBA kit for the tank or get a new tank that has a build deck.
One man's opinion.

VU Sponsors