Become a Patron!

Baby Beast, Should airflow be open or closed?

Hello

Fairly new to vaping.. bought my second upgrade recently a SMOK 220W w/ Baby Beast as opposed to the AIO penguin and Ego I had before.

Getting used to having an actual tank, should my air flow be wide open or somewhat closed? I want to conserve eJuice but I'm not sure what I'm doing, I haven't been able to find straight forward tutorial.

Typically should the airflow be open or closed? it seems to work better for me with about 1/4 open which I started a few hours ago for the past 2 days I had it wide open and it seemed to be burning through the 3ML in about 20 puffs.. am I doing something wrong?

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Khassy is exactly right. There is no one way to vape. Do what works for you to give you a pleasurable vape. You can experiment with higher/lower wattages and open or close the AFC ring until it vapes good for that particular juice flavor. Good luck, and welcome to VU.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might also consider a higher ohm coil..... it will run at a bit less wattage use less juice...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
If you're wanting to conserve juice, then the baby beast isn't for you, smok tanks are juice chuggers. As for open or closed, up to you. If you want warmer, tighter, more flavor you will close it off some. If you want airy, cooler, and "foggier" vapor you will open it. There is no way for us to tell you what will work for you, you have to do that bit of figurin' on your own. You'll find what's best, I'm sure of it. Welcome to VU happy vaping :cheers:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I run my tanks with the Air Flow open all the way and only cut the A/F down when the coil isn't getting saturated enough because of Chain Vaping. More air less suction so less liquid used. Just my opinion...................

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run my tanks with the Air Flow open all the way and only cut the A/F down when the coil isn't getting saturated enough because of Chain Vaping. More air less suction so less liquid used. Just my opinion...................
This I like a cool vape at low wattage with af wide open

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Actually... you don't suck the juice into the wick. It wicks just like a candle. As the juice evaporates, new juice is drawn up into the wick. Proof of this is you have never gotten a tank full of juice in your mouth.
Higher air = bigger clouds, lower air = thicker clouds for more flavor. What determines your juice consumption is your power (watts) and wick. All the air flow does is cools your vape so you don't burn the coil at higher wattages. Example.. turn your airflow down to 25%... vapor gets warmer, right?
Now sometimes... with a pen style m2l vape, we do suck to get juice into the coil, without pressing the fire button.. but it takes 3 or 4 good puffs to get it going. Usually only done after changing coil or if your vape pen has been sitting for a few hours. That is only to reduce air lock (bubbles) in the coil and reprime the coil.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also block off the air completely and you will draw e-Liquid into a coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Actually you do, moving air through the coils works just like a carburetor and creates a vacuum.
You car doesn't have a wick running to the gas tank, so yes in that case gas is sucked by vacuum.
With RDTAs the tank is below the coils. Airflow is in front of the coils. You can suck that thing til you turn purple and not get 1 more drop of ejuice. Just like drinking milk with a hole in your straw. I used RDTA as an example, but it also applies to RTAs. All airflow does is cools your vapor so you can use higher wattage. It is actually the wattage you use when vaping that determines how much juice you use. Higher wattage evaporates ejuice faster. Airflow controls temperature and density.
Either way, believe what you like.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A Baby Beast is NOT an RDTA so that has nothing in common with a Baby Beast or most factory coils for that matter.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Air is flowing through the center of the coils which has liquid surrounding the cotton.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually the baby beast does cause a cause a vacuum

If this vacuum doesn't happen you get vapor lock so Steve is correct

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A Baby Beast is NOT an RDTA so that has nothing in common with a Baby Beast or most factory coils for that matter.
Still applies to RTA. They both draw juice the same way. If you notice, I said as much in my last post.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Actually the baby beast does cause a cause a vacuum

If this vacuum doesn't happen you get vapor lock so Steve is correct
The vacuum is caused by the juice going into the wick. Air does go though the center of the coil, yes, but as I said earlier,it isnt how hard you suck or how much airflow you use, that determines how fast you use ejuice... It is flat out wattage to the coils.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are trying to compare an RDTA to Baby Beast and they have nothing in common.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually if you want to get technical it actually creates a Low Pressure Area and not a true vacuum but an RDTA does not compare to how a Baby Beast coils works.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You are trying to compare an RDTA to Baby Beast and they have nothing in common.
they both wick juice exactly the same way. Juice contacts wick and is drawn up.. Just like water into a paper towel. Now you can put your mouth over the paper towel,but you will not get one more drop of water into it once it is saturated.

IN all cases.. the material wicks by capillary action.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The vacuum is caused by the juice going into the wick. Air does go though the center of the coil, yes, but as I said earlier,it isnt how hard you suck or how much airflow you use, that determines how fast you use ejuice... It is flat out wattage to the coils.
So you admit a vacuum is needed. End of discussion

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Vacuums are needed in a tank! Dunno why your arguing you are wrong
of course vacuum is needed in a tank. It is what keeps your juice from leaking out. It doesn't require much of a vacuum. Just what is created by juice leaving the tank and entering the wick.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So you admit a vacuum is needed. End of discussion
That was not what the discussion was in the first place. The discussion was if more airflow used less ejuice than lower airflow, due to lower airflow sucking more juice into the coil.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was not what the discussion was in the first place. The discussion was if more airflow used less ejuice than lower airflow, due to lower airflow sucking more juice into the coil.
Oh right haha yeah lower airflow does suck more juice into the coil cos I do that to choke my coils and prime them. Although I don't use same principle for every atty. It's mainly for my chimneyless tanks that need to form a vacuum to pull juice into tightly packed cotton.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Oh right haha yeah lower airflow does suck more juice into the coil cos I do that to choke my coils and prime them. Although I don't use same principle for every atty. It's mainly for my chimneyless tanks that need to form a vacuum to pull juice into tightly packed cotton.
Like cigalikes, pen style.. things with a small premade coil. Yeah, Ive done that. To prime and re-prime the coil. But as far as a regular tank, like baby beast goes, you actually would save ejuice running less air at a lower wattage. (and get better flavor)
I don't think we even do that with the newer 0.5, 0.3 and 0.15 ohm coils.. those juice holes in the atomizers are pretty big about 2.5 mm each (x2 usually) those I just prime the holes, 1 or 2 drops in at the top and vape away.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like cigalikes, pen style.. things with a small premade coil. Yeah, Ive done that. To prime and re-prime the coil. But as far as a regular tank, like baby beast goes, you actually would save ejuice running less air at a lower wattage. (and get better flavor)
I don't think we even do that with the newer 0.5, 0.3 and 0.15 ohm coils.. those juice holes in the atomizers are pretty big about 2.5 mm each (x2 usually) those I just prime the holes, 1 or 2 drops in at the top and vape away.
I do that with most tanks but the cleito it's better if you fill the tank and do primer pulls. The tightly packed cotton needs perforating so the vacuum is needed.
But yeah most tanks I drop liquid onto cotton first. Specially RTA'S

VU Sponsors