Become a Patron!

Awful dry hits with Tesla Vortek tank and Tesla Two sub box- am I doing something wrong?

Now this could be just an issue with the particular type of e-liquid I use. If it ruins everyone's coils like it ruins mine though, I don't see how the company (AquaVapor) from which I have purchased has stayed in business.

Right now I'm using the setup as described in the subject (I've had it for a couple of months...pretty sure I'm putting it together correctly), and with the 0.5 ohm coils. My battery is fully charged, airflow and juice flow fully open, coils don't look defective. Vaping 20/80 ratio (have done liquid w/o PG at all and still didn't have this issue).

I've been getting NASTY throat-irritating dry hits with new coils using this particular liquid, and after just a few pulls you can see brown spots all in the wick. Maybe it's loaded with sugars and artificial flavorings that sizzle @ 50W induced temps. Unfortunately, I can't taste my usual mint flavors right now (that don't cause this issue) and the only thing I can mix it up with is candy flavors. I just don't like other flavor types (this one in particular is H.Y.F.R., part of their new "slang line") and am not a big fan of the higher PG stuff.

I swear I have done sweeter liquids that didn't do this (except for their Beary Luscious... that stuff nuked one coil in 3 pulls), so sugar and/or artificial flavorings could be the culprit. Which in that case, I should probably just stop buying their overly sweet stuff.

If not though, perhaps I'm not letting the wick saturate enough? I understand prefab subtank coils don't last that long anyway, but I'd imagine they should still go well beyond the first few hits before getting gunked up. I've got a coil soaking in the juice right now and hopefully that's the problem, although I don't have to do this with most other liquids- a couple of minutes is usually enough.

Maybe I'm just hitting it too often? I see vids of people just hitting their pieces left and right and it's leaving me a bit confused if I'm not supposed to be able to chain vape like that.

My wife's not happy that I've spent several hundred experimenting with this stuff to begin with, or else I'd go out right now and buy a nice regulated setup and learn how to build coils myself to avoid this problem.

Am I just an idiot expecting to be able to successfully vape anything with what I have?
Any advice is appreciated.

I have the same problem with my Tesla Vortek tc. With wattage mode, both the .2 and .5 ohm kanthal coils that have a suggested operation between around 30w to 80w, i get horrible burnt hits if i go above 30 - 35w. This happens on both my IPV4 and my Xcube 2. When using nickel coils in tc mode on both mods, the temp regulation kicks in way to soon. i still get a satisfying hit but just barely. If it were not for this issue it would almost be my favorite tank and i haven't seen anyone else with the same issue... or at least google hasn't.

VU Sponsors