Become a Patron!

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi folks,

I just purchased a new mod. It's a dual battery regulated mod. I got it in a sale, and it comes with 2 free batteries, they are advertised as Avatar Green 30A 18650 battery?

This is the battery in question
https://www.wismec.co.uk/avatar-green-18650-battery-with-silicone-sleeve.html

I've searched google and found some discussions about mooch's testing of avatar batteries that were mislabeled but can't find anything about these green ones.

I currently have 2 LG HG2 brown batteries that I cycle in my single 18650 mod that i use at the minute.

My question is, are these batteries safe to use in a regulated mod? The new mod is a vapor flask.

I know that advice is not to use shitty re-wrapped batteries, and I've generally followed that, but since this new mod takes 2 batteries and I only have the 2 LGs, am I safe to use these Avatars or even keep them as spares?

Are the warnings about re-wrapped batteries more for people using mech mods?

Or should I throw them away and buy more LGs or Samsungs ?

Any advice or opinions much appreciated, thanks.

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn’t use them. But that’s just me. Good well known batteries(Samsung, Sony, LG) are all I use now and are so inexpensive to risk something else.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ults-something-suspicious-is-going-on.756463/

There is the link to Mooch test results on these batteries. Im guessing the colors on the wrap may vary but since the specs listed on that cell are similar to the specs on the wraps of the cells Mooch tested, my guess is that the same information Mooch supplied on these results is relevant here.

Please note that these are ICR cells, which is not a recommended battery chemistry for vaping. His results have them at a 20A rating not 30A as listed, and he explicitly advises against using the cells.

I would recommend getting a pair of brand new batteries to "marry" up and use in your new mod. Stick to the recommended cells on Moochs chart. Find the appropriate amp rating for your intended use and pick the best battery for your purposes.

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies. I had seen this review by mooch, but I think those are diffierent ones, these batteries I have are in a green wrap. But I suppose the conclusion is probably the same though. Think I'll ditch them and pick up some more LGs. Cheers guys.

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, this arrived today. The batteries they sent have turned out to be the green/purple ones. Labeled 2000mah 20a, which is what mooch said they tested out as. Mooch's issue seemed to be the 30a labeling, and said they tested out to be 20a.

I also referred to torchy the battery boy's blog, and he says these comply to u.k. regulations.

I'm thinking about using these, not sure...

The vapor flask seems pretty good, incidentally.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So, this arrived today. The batteries they sent have turned out to be the green/purple ones. Labeled 2000mah 20a, which is what mooch said they tested out as. Mooch's issue seemed to be the 30a labeling, and said they tested out to be 20a.

I also referred to torchy the battery boy's blog, and he says these comply to u.k. regulations.

I'm thinking about using these, not sure...

The vapor flask seems pretty good, incidentally.

If you reread the bench test it seems the issue relates more to the fact that they are ICR chemistry.

In my opinion, not enough is known about these cells in general.

I still wouldn't use the cells. I just don't trust anything that's not on the recommended battery chart by mooch.

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
aye i'm still unsure. there is a reddit discussion about the same batteries where mooch says:

"Mooch315• 247d
ICR batteries are perfectly safe as long as they aren't short-circuited or run so hard that the battery essentially is operating into a short-circuit. If they are shorted they react more violently than other chemistries, by a lot."

and he also has an aspire icr battery on his list.

i might just buy a couple more LGs to be on the safest side though.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those "free" batteries will end up costing you more then you bargained for.

and he also has an aspire icr battery on his list.
Not anymore.
8e298b7d695e56eade52d80b90115768.jpg

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I messaged mooch on facebook, he said that the 30a rating will be overrated and that it will be a 20a battery, but about safety he also said there will be no problem and it's safe to use them at the maximum of 40w that I go to. So I think I'll keep them.

VU Sponsors