KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hello Folks,

With little fanfare Augvape have released their latest snazzy RDA the “Templar”. I wasn’t even aware this was in development to the point it turned up from Augvape out of the blue. Moving on from their successful Druga RDA this new product has been in the making for the last 7 months with the offer of enticing flavour chasers to their corner.

05B64EC5-7F37-4AF5-813E-8824AC4EA873.jpeg

So let’s find out how it stacks up, I should mention I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews; instead I’ll present you with my findings to help bolster your research should you be interested in the product.

Manufacturer’s specification

• Height: 27mm (25mm with comp cap)
  • Diameter: 24mm
  • Thread: 510
  • Gold Plated Positive Pin(s) & Deck
  • Metal: 304 Stainless Steel, Titanium Post Screw, Zirconium dioxide (insulator)
  • Airflow Slots : 4 or 6 Side
  • Assembly: 2 and 4 Piece Design
  • Bottom Feeding or Dripper
  • Drip tip: Delrin 810 (or separate competition cap)
Colour Options: Black, Stainless Steel (at the time of this review)

Kits Includes
  • 1x Templar RDA
  • 1 x Frosted Comp Cap
  • 1x Spare kit (Spare O-rings, BF Pin & 510 drip tip adaptor)
Build Quality & Impressions

New RDA, same old packaging, the Templar comes in the trusty “how to I get everything out of here” tube pot from Augvape including the usual scratch and sniff on the back. I don’t know if this is just me or not but I had no screwdriver in my kit, so make sure you have both a small flat head for the bottom positive pin and a phillips for the post screw.

Whilst I’m on the lack of screwdriver there’s a lack of spares in general; much like the Druga there is no extra screws in the kit. I suppose its a single titanium jobby with deep cut outs, so will fare better than the Druga’s screws do. The part I feel is missing most is a 510 drip tip! Normally I don’t mind just getting the adaptor but Augvape have tipped this as being a flavour chasing RDA, in which case a 510 is not an optional extra.... it’s a necessity. I would like to have seen one of their stellar Merlin or Boreas V1 drip tips included at the very least.

It comes with a single Delrin 810 drip tip; as you can see the bore is very large at 14mm. Serious I can stick my pinky in that! This is not a dedicated flavour chasing RDA this is going to be chucking some plumage. I would like to have seen the tip a tad taller though as my lips do touch the top cap.

AC184442-35AB-472F-AE6E-7FF8586B0CED.jpeg ABC726F6-E721-4B0E-9B82-438578A542D3.jpeg

It also comes with a separate frosted competition cap with two downward angled air holes either side. The deck has two prongs to hold either cap in place to ensure the airflow is focused towards the centre of the coils. There is no ability to adjust airflow on the frosted comp cap, instead you will be adjusting the vape experience through coil and wicking.

17804B59-C3D6-4616-BECF-B74EE7C3AA75.jpeg

Looking inside the comp cap there is an extended conical design which makes it look a bit like the Oumier Wasp Nano on steroids. Unlike the Wasp the opening is a proprietary size at 12mm so it won’t fit either an aftermarket 510 or 810. It takes some getting used to at first but if you are simply placing your lips on top it’s not so bad, in fact I’ve grown to like it even more so than the metal option due to how silky smooth the airflow is (not that the SS isn't smooth either).

99CD3E90-5492-4802-877B-C58E4961BED6.jpeg
AAC5F346-BB80-46BF-A48E-D719F95E1267.jpeg

I had a small nic out of my frosted cap at the base for some reason, annoying as it is, it’s right at the bottom of the base and hasn’t affected the seal.

So with the frosted cap out of the way let’s head over the metal top cap, featuring a similar step system to the Drop RDA meaning you can close the airflow off in horizontal stages, right down to a very tight draw on the bottom row. The areas where “Templar” is engraved have been offset allowing you to grip and adjust the assembly fairly easily. Finally it has a shallow conical design inside despite the flat outward appearance.

FA9E82AC-A7DA-4CD0-859D-03ADC175E799.jpeg 31F074DE-C5DB-4A99-90CB-82C9172E167F.jpeg
86AC0C40-C88D-45FD-8B3A-081075D1B865.jpeg

The airflow chamber comprises of 6 mini slots each side alternating between short (2mm x 1mm) and long (4mm x 1mm).

295EF053-D21D-4B14-9E11-B6D57D95847C.jpeg

Everything on the Stainless Steel Templar is engraved, even the writing on the base. This provides depth and a sense of premium quality which continues throughout the entirety of the RDA. I would like to have seen the edging rounded off just slightly around the main logo since it’s a little sharp to the touch, otherwise the machining is spotless.

Both top caps sit entirely over the deck so with RDA’s like this I try not to remove the top chamber too often or I end up pushing juice condensation under the base. Fortunately with the massive openings in the drip tip removal is rarely required until it’s time for a re-wick.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Onto the main event the gold plated deck featuring one titanium screw and a “T” shaped catch system. Well I say T shaped, really its rectangle with an integrated plate made of tooth filling (Zirconium dioxide). This plate separates the top and bottom leads of your coil(s). Augvape are sticking with the wall theme they used in the Boreas V2 to separate the chamber into two; the difference this time is it’s a clamp system instead of screws securing your coils in place.

97CD45B3-B5AB-4B38-B5EB-8976CF7B9880.jpeg

It’s not possible to completely strip down the deck for a thorough cleaning since the lower parts of the post are integrated into the deck itself. I would advise you to strip it down as much as you can though including removing the screw as they left machine oil on the threading which will affect your vape experience. Everything was sitting in the Ultrasonic cleaner for a good 25 minutes and I experienced no issues with plating stripping or tarnishing.

EBA579DB-9772-434E-BC8B-2B7CB5DF24C9.jpeg

Looking closely at the bottom of the post you can see a tiny little squonking outlet which feeds both sides equally. I did find squeezing juice onto the deck requires quite a strong squeeze so it could have been made a little bigger especially under the base. It wasn’t the quickest at allowing air to re-enter the bottle afterwards either.

532AF7A6-F286-4ACE-9925-3DF442888BBE.jpeg

The capacity is decent enough for dripping. I was getting a good 7 or more pulls between drips and it’s surprisingly forgiving when dumping juice inside.

The positive pins (both dripper and bottom feeding) are very small and don’t leave you a whole lot of room to adjust. Once threaded in completely, there is almost no clearance so I wouldn’t be looking to use this on a hybrid mech.

692225F6-10B5-4004-AD14-A4117DED09F0.jpeg

Finally in this section the O-rings are a little tight at first, but once lubed with E-Juice offer a decent amount of resistance.

Build Flexibility and Ease of Use

It’s nice going back to the well style deck, it’s one of the reasons I love RDA’s so much. I’ve used so many crazy decks of late which require this or that type of finicky wicking it’s refreshing just to bung the bloody cotton in there and get vaping.

You have approximately 11mm width to play with on this deck, however with the fairly narrow space each side I would say 3 - 3.5mm diameter is the max I would use. I position my 3mm coils so they are halfway in the well looking down, and if looking front on I position in line with the lower metal mounting block.

Clamp systems can be a pain and probably aren’t the easiest to learn on as you need to pre measure, cut and hold both coils at the same level and distance as you tighten, having said that this is a velocity clamp system so I was able to hold my coils in place fairly easily whilst tightening that single screw.

Important things to note when mounting on this RDA;

1. Make sure your coil leads go the whole way across the post
2. You have to tighten that middle screw a lot harder than you think, try to avoid doing this on top of your mod so it doesn’t stress the 510.
3. If you see a short problem persist resign yourself to use the bottom two holes only for all legs

If you don’t take note of these things you will find your leads slip from the mounts when positing and more importantly find it tricky to get an even glow to both coils or worse a possible short, something I experienced on more than one occasion. I’m not overly sold on the tooth filling material it would have helped if it wasn’t so smooth. At times I felt there wasn’t even pressure being applied to all legs.

6CAC99B6-3FB7-479F-AE18-838760C8AC91.jpeg

As you can see here I thought I had clamped this down properly but I was getting a wicked hot spot post wicking and vaping. The lead had worked lose one side meaning only the coil on the other side was heating (hence my tips above). I feel they could have just incorporated some mini teeth across the clamp to grip everything in place.

66B2C62F-59F4-4FFC-A42E-22ABF523B950.jpeg

It’s possible to run this as both dual and single coil options with no issue. Here are some of the photo worthy coils I’ve built for this RDA Single Alien, Dual 4 Core Aliens and Fraliens. Even running regular spaced Claptons in temp control with a restricted draw worked out well.

0CBC4451-6E8F-4517-9557-0E0525ED2974.jpeg
ADDD966C-442C-4DDD-85D3-11CA2603F21D.jpeg 9E42421D-2FC2-4578-A9AB-81301E8FC46E.jpeg 98BF0CAE-2B3C-4ABB-858E-AC353953EB06.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
How’s it Vape?

In my humble opinion the Templar caters for all crowds, it’s both an impressive cloud chucker and delivers fantastic flavour (depending on your set up) although I do think this RDA favours the larger coil set ups out of the builds I tried.

I love the versatility offered by the Templar, it caters for all draw styles and wattage settings. It’s forgiving with single or dual coils, it can handle large builds and the draw is very smooth which ever cap you choose.

The SS cap does get hot if you chain vape although the comp cap never gets hot. I didn’t really detect spitting unless I oversaturated the deck. Overall this it’s certainly one of the better RDA’s I’ve vaped of late. I just wish they had that 510 drip tip for single coil flavour chasing.

[Edit] The frosted comp cap belts out flavour and clouds, perhaps even more so than the stock cap, and with a silky quiet draw that rivals the Skill RDA which is no small feat, however since posting this review and using tank cracking juice I’ve found it has a detrimental impact to the surface and unfortunately won’t be using it again; please find pictures further down!

Pro’s
  • Fantastic flavour and cloud production
  • Two Cap options
  • Easy wicking
  • Even distribution of liquid across the deck when squonking
  • Can run as a Dripper or Squonker with little hassle
  • Great looking RDA
  • Smooth non turbulent draw
  • Decent build space
  • Found it forgiving if over-squonking (allows a good half push)
  • Comp Cap stays cools when chain vaping
  • Spitting wan’t problematic
  • O-rings have decent recistance once lubed up
  • Machining/ styling and plating is excellent
  • Can run single or dual coil
Cons
  • Mounting coils can be a pain
  • Should have come with a 510 drip tip instead of just an adaptor
  • Lack of extra post screw
  • Squonk pin could have been a smidge bigger
  • Positive pin should have extended out further
  • SS top cap will get hot with chain vaping and large coils
  • Would have preferred a taller 810 drip tip so my lips don’t touch the top cap
  • [Edit]: the frosted comp cap cannot stand up to tank cracking juice!
Final Conclusion

I found the Templar shines in most areas and it’s quite the stunner. I felt it did very well as a cloud or flavour performer which is unusual. This leaps over the Druga in terms of performance. In fact I’d say it potentially joins the ranks of the VLS and Conspiracy RDA’s, even some of my single coil RDA's like the Gorge and Flave running my own 510 drip tip.

As I said it likes the coils with surface area; so for those out there who like running simple coils; look for parallel dual coil builds at the least.

[Edit:] The main parts really holding the Templar back is the mounting process and getting coils to glow evenly and stay in place. Secondly please find my update further down with regards to what happened with the comp cap ...it’s safe to say from this point I will be sticking with the SS cap only!

925E05E9-9992-46A3-A0BC-1A5C5F66830F.jpeg 7761A643-328A-4781-9218-075C98BE04BB.jpeg

With my Engine Nano drip tip

002B1687-BFEC-4323-9CA7-B7B9D9CF2090.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, I hope the information serves you well…. until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Decent review and doesn't look like a bad Atty, Augvape comes out with some decent gear.

Thanks r055co :cheers: yeah they do for the most part. I feel they missed a step with the boreas V2 but it was gonna be a hard sell to be honest, I love the original too much to see so much changed. they should have just called it something else

It’s not bad at all I prefer this to the druga all day long.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many Thanks Roo :cheers: as in parralel wrap them?
My bad, you know me. Always trouble with putting my thoughts into words, lol. Good thing I'm not a reviewer. :teehee:

I'm thinking a coil on each side but wrapping them like the attached pic so they use the same post holes and not have to bother with the slippery clamp, lol.

Attachments

• Staggered_Fused_Clapton_26-36_N80-045-1_808101_2048x.jpg
    Staggered_Fused_Clapton_26-36_N80-045-1_808101_2048x.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 5

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My bad, you know me. Always trouble with putting my thoughts into words, lol. Good thing I'm not a reviewer. :teehee:

I'm thinking a coil on each side but wrapping them like the attached pic so they use the same post holes and not have to bother with the slippery clamp, lol.

I’ll try it mate and report back ;) want me to use top or bottom holes?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Superbly detailed! Covered all possible points so we can easily decide if this is for us or not. Thanks @KingPin!

Many thanks hearts :vino:I need to post a pic update of the frosted cap I’ll do it later noticed last night when I held it up to a spotlight some micro stress points developed where the cap sits on top of the deck prongs, secondly where I had run tank cracking juice it’s left marks inside ....only spotted it when I was re-wicking and it caught the light differently.... wasnt easy to see from the outside without light hitting it in certain way so missed it :confused:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many thanks hearts :vino:I need to post a pic update of the frosted cap I’ll do it later noticed last night when I held it up to a spotlight some micro stress points developed where the cap sits on top of the deck prongs, secondly where I had run tank cracking juice it’s left marks inside ....only spotted it when I was re-wicking and it caught the light differently.... wasnt easy to see from the outside without light hitting it in certain way so missed it :confused:
Thank you!

Uh oh :eek: is it bad though? We’ll see from the pics I gather.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you!

It’s not great never experienced this on the wasp and caps look almost identical in material ....having said that this one is a sample and it was damaged out of the box so it could well be just mine

Just got home from work I’ll just put littlen to bed and have some grub and I’ll get on it :D

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank you!

This is pretty horrific and I’ll update my cons in the review and edit about this happening!! .....are you ready .....o_O

This is the light I was using and in my defence it was easy to miss although I’m ashamed I missed it ......please accept my sincere apologies and hope this sets the record straight

4FEEDB47-AA32-4EB4-BD71-6B9DBF453D62.jpeg

Put a spot lamp angled to reflect the horror

FFFF994B-93B8-41B8-A524-0B124755F37D.jpeg
061B629C-EC4E-437A-BE1C-58FE66ABDCE3.jpeg
E3A82858-F8C8-4231-92C1-6871A5EDFA19.jpeg
88622D33-7BFE-48AB-BF45-B9F795EBC381.jpeg

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Really? You're awesome man! Bottom holes if you don't mind. The holes look big enough to fit two single core Clapton legs but you would know better than I. Thanks! :cheers:

Here you go buddy just for you :) ....squeezed these in just the bottom holes ... tight fit and took a little bit of persuasion but they are heating evenly

6wraps 26g SS316L claptons ohm out at 0.14

D422D206-3A7C-4A14-943C-BA849F04BA31.jpeg
0FC5B431-35F0-47CA-9B05-BEF0BBC3907C.jpeg

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kingpin! You are the man!!! You didn't have to go out of your way to do that but I assure you I appreciate it a lot!!! That is exactly what I had in mind, well done sir. :vino::cheers:

Knowing this can be done definitely makes me like the rda even more.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Kingpin! You are the man!!! You didn't have to go out of your way to do that but I assure you I appreciate it a lot!!! That is exactly what I had in mind, well done sir. :vino::cheers:

Knowing this can be done definitely makes me like the rda even more.

No problem mate :cheers: these coils needs a fair amount of wattage though your looking at about 87w before they wake up, with top line closed however you will want a taller drip tip for this build cause it’s gets warm with that shorty

My half moon 810 tall drip tip
2B6683F0-28B3-49C8-9130-FB112870CDC5.jpeg

I did try the nano drip tip at 45w and it just wasn’t right until I closed it right up with a tight draw (bottom two open only) even then it really needs the 810 and higher power for these coils

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is pretty horrific and I’ll update my cons in the review and edit about this happening!! .....are you ready .....o_O

This is the light I was using and in my defence it was easy to miss although I’m ashamed I missed it ......please accept my sincere apologies and hope this sets the record straight

View attachment 105870

Put a spot lamp angled to reflect the horror

View attachment 105867
View attachment 105868
View attachment 105871
View attachment 105869
No apologies necessary :hug: we appreciate all the trouble you went to. :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
No apologies necessary :hug: we appreciate all the trouble you went to. :)
thankyou :hearts:means a lot ...I’ve reached out to Augvape for more information over that Zirconium (grey) insulator i want to know more about its properties, more importantly whether it’s an electrical insulator because from my reading only ceramic is an insulator the grey variant is a metal .....if I hear back I’ll share. I’m still not overly happy about that short problem I had in my review and want to get to the bottom of it.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thankyou :hearts:means a lot ...I’ve reached out to Augvape for more information over that Zirconium (grey) insulator i want to know more about its properties, more importantly whether it’s an electrical insulator because from my reading only ceramic is an insulator the grey variant is a metal .....if I hear back I’ll share. I’m still not overly happy about that short problem I had in my review and want to get to the bottom of it.
We really do appreciate all the time & heart you put into your reviews ! :inlove:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks Kronos :) Augvape did report back today as well, they confirmed it has electrical insulation so between the two of you I’m sticking with my leads slipping from the top mount as stated in my review as the issue.

The head of the screw is not attracting to the magnet (I didn’t completely dismantle as I have a build in it)

In terms of my pictures on the frosted cap they have taken my feedback back to the engineers, in the meantime the following question was posted on thier Facebook page (not by me)

Hello, I really like Templar RDA design but someone told me its cap is susceptible to tank cracking juices
Can you solve this issue? I would like to buy it but want to know more
17191500_1666148507021392_6167058150712827686_n.jpg

Hi, Thanks you like TemplarRDA, about the frosted cap cracking, actually if the coils are builded closed to the frosted cap, high temperatures might caused this happens. You can also check out TemplarRDA pictures or videos in instagram, the people who already used TemplarRDA but there is no such complaint happens.

To confirm I was vaping on those 3 core alien 3mm ID coils at 90w in my review (the uncoloured coil picture) using the frosted cap... they were situated in the middle of the deck with plenty of airflow. The cap appeared to be fine until I ran a sweet citric juice ....same juice I’ve run in the VLS and wasp nano neither of thier caps suffered this effect so I’ll have to wait and see if my cap is a one off or if other people report similar findings as well. The pictures I’ve seen on Instagram use similar or bigger builds than me ...so fingers crossed it’s just me but I don’t hold my breath.

I’ve continued to use the Templar since this review using those bottom holes and SS cap only and it works well I stand by my closing on the review

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Stellar read KingPin. Thank you for taking the time to do it right. That frosted wouldn't hold up to many of my go to juices. I'll wait and see what/if Augvape offers as a fix.

Thanks Letitia :blowkiss: it’s a damn shame because I was really enjoying that frosted cap... god knows what sort of nastyness I inhaled from it

Still alive and kicking though! :drunk: haha

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ordered one from VaporDNA, only place in US I saw it...even if it has shorts in the clamps, I can make it work. I need a nice clamp post for wider wires after all
(i also got a Tigertek Morphe on clearance)

Your mention of smooth airflow got my ears Real perked up!

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ordered one from VaporDNA, only place in US I saw it...even if it has shorts in the clamps, I can make it work. I need a nice clamp post for wider wires after all
(i also got a Tigertek Morphe on clearance)

Your mention of smooth airflow got my ears Real perked up!

Meg with the fraliens you build you’ll get on with this airflow is very smooth yeah, you can always use the bottom holes and alternate legs :) see what you think when you get it let us know
:vino:Really want to know myself if anyone else has issues with that frosted cap as well or I was a one off

VU Sponsors