KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks

Snagged myself a bunch of goodies recently including the very slick looking Merlin RDTA. This review is based on my experiences so far, i should add I purchased this RDTA myself.

What do you get in the box?

I went and purchased the black and gold version. There is also stainless steel and rose gold on offer

IMG_1009.JPG
Features
304 SS
Diameter:24mm
Capacity:3.5ml
Height:48.5mm
Derlin Top Cap And Drip Tip
Peek Insulator
Borosilicate Glass Tube
Elegant Hollowed-out Logo
Easy to wick and refill

You get a bag of spare o rings, a spare glass, a Phillips screwdriver, and two spare Phillips screws

The box it comes in is tiny! but the saying goes good things come in small packages! .. there is a scratch and sniff on the side and a small card about entering into a competition on instagram to win prizes

Initial impressions

Well the atty breaks into 6 pieces for easy cleaning
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG

The piece in the upper left most part of the pictures screws into the plastic top cap and acts as a plug for the "juice well" as well as an anti spit back

Next to it is the proprietary drip tip which is plastic and does concern me over time regarding the threads lasting and the lack of a spare however does give your lips protection from the housing heating up

It's very clean out of the box although I did wash mine thoroughly and give it a good scrub as always...paint quality is excellent as is the machining except maybe the metal juice chamber (lower right in the above pic) but considering how intricate it is I'll give them a pass on this, I mean it's not awful but it's not super clean machining either

Also to note I thought I had lost my peek insulator whilst cleaning which normally sits at the bottom of the base between the positive pin and the threads, there is a peek insulator further up so it it's normal for it to look like this below (this was a beta version pic I pulled from google hence why it's not serialised ...mine is)

IMG_1024.jpg

The pin doesn't sit far enough proud from the threads though so I would say no hybrid usage on this one

Also in both the stainless steel and rose gold versions the symbol on the housing is ethched in. This isnt the case with the black version it's like they applied the paint and later peeled away the symbol to give it a recessed feel...although it stood up to a good scrubbing no probs

Finally the O-ring resistences are all top notch as is the threading on everything

All in all though it looks and feels absolutely lovely very impressed with the gold and black version

What's she like the build on?

Here is where the fun really begins! The deck is massive I made some monster coils recently and had nothing to put them in...these are framed staple helixes 7 wrap 3mm diameter came out at just shy of 15mm in width! at the time of making them I thought to myself can anything handle these? Yep the Merlin RDTA can! Inside post to post is 20mm!

IMG_1013.JPG

Mounting was easy although I didn't like the Phillips screws they felt quite shallow and like I'm gonna strip them in time...having said that the screw did bite the coils well without too much force

Here is the final shot of my coils mounted on here

IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG
Now i wouldn't advise to get anything wider in here I managed to wick these fill up the holes without issue ...had no dry hits whatsoever, bloody marvellous ...on the subject of wicking I wouldn't advise putting anything less than 3mm in diameter in here since as you can see with the picture above there is rather a large space to fill either side.
I cut my wick to the length of the bottom black oring, fluffed them up and just poked them down, finally checked had no space anywhere and done very easy. Just ensure you don't lay them over the bottom fed airhole otherwise you will get leakage (but this is true of any bottom airhole atty)

To refill this RDTA you just place your juice bottle in that large hole in the middle of the deck and squeeze, that's it you're done! ...you can either remove the entire top housing or unscrew the top cap to refill whatever floats your boat

...the only negative about this whole refill experience is the vent hole. It's situatied in one of the air vent chambers (You can see this in the shot below underneath the bottom coil)...I couldn't see this when refilling and if you overfill your gonna have a bad day because that juice is gonna run straight out as I found out myself!
Having said that if you look at the juice level in the chamber as you refill and stop as soon as it hits the top of the glass you'll be fine as there is a little bit of a recess beyond that which gives you a safety refill buffer.

IMG_1017.JPG

Build deck I would give almost top marks except for the Phillips screws which I'm not a fan of anyway... you're gonna be able to take some great pics of coils on this deck if you care for such things

How's she vape?

Flavour comes through really well very impressed I find it's flavour is better than the Boreas if I had to draw a comparison to another Augvape product, it's not a massive cloud chucker but it's no sloth either I found the vent half closed provided me with a good balance on flavour and cloud

The draw feels a little turbulent and airy ...I think this has to do with the proprietary drip tip and the anti spit back/juice hole plug I'm not a massive fan of these I have to say I would like to have had the option to choose my own drip tip and a different way to plug the juice well, but I understand why they went with it like this in the design process, in order to kills two birds with one stone ...I just feel having a goon or 510 drip tip on here would have made it an incredible vape fully worthy of top marks

Also I noticed a very slight amount of seeping between the housing and the plastic top cap when chain vaping maybe some sort of gasket here would have rectified this? ...I haven't found it to leak other than this, I even held it upside down for a minute to test it! (as long as you plug up those juice holes you are golden)

Final conclusion

If you like building and experimenting with large coils this is the one for you! You have the ability to carry this about with you on the go with a decent 3.5ml juice capacity and flavour is very good, refilling is a breeze, and for the price it's just a stunning atty to have in your collection

IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

Pros

Overall very good quality machining
Great flavour
Great price point
Refilling is super easy
Build deck is exceptional
Looks the absolute nuts!

Cons

Placement of the refill vent hole
Proprietary drip tip combined with a plastic top cap/ anti spit back/ juice plug
Phillips screws

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
How did you wick this thing?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I put the cotton bacon through the coil (3mm) snug but not overly tight

Raked the ends to fluff them up

Measuring first the cut line down to the bottom of the bottom black oring/rim ...although a little longer will be fine too... I wouldn't go too far into the juice well it wicks really well just dipping in

Did a straight line cut, after that poked the cotton down ensuring they met in the middle looking down on the deck

I turned the deck over without the glass and base attached so I could pull gently on the cotton from underneath a little, as well as to check for gaps there too

Edit: Just to add my coils are close the bottom air vents so I didn't have to hang the cotton legs down too far from the ends of the coil (also I would run fairly beefy coils in here so the cotton isnt suspended on its own too far from the ends) otherwise they will touch the airholes and lead to leaking ...next time I rewick I'll add some pics to this reply JL ;)

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi again Folks promised to do a proper wicking guide so here goes...remember I don't recommend anything less than 3mm ID, and you want a coil that clears the bottom airholes in width

@JuicyLucy

N.B I'm using cotton bacon V2 and the Scottish roll method

Step 1) First feed the cotton through the coil snug but not overly tight. Cut the cotton to about the bottom o-ring
IMG_1095.JPG
From up top it'll look something like this
IMG_1096.JPG

Step 2) rake the cotton out at each end then trim back to step one length

IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

Step 3) tuck them down the holes making sure they meet in the middle and that you have filled all available gaps

IMG_1101.JPG

Step 4) make sure the cotton is clear from the bottom airhole both sides or you'll end up with leaking

IMG_1102.JPG

Step 5) dismantle the base assuming you had it assembled doesn't matter it it was already removed for the above steps.

Look underneath see how the cotton hasn't pushed through all that well also there are some spaces at the edges. We need to get rid of that!

IMG_1103.JPG

Gently pull the cotton through doesn't need to be too much as it will wick when you hold the atty up to vape. Just make sure to fill up all gaps you can see

IMG_1104.JPG

Thumbnails in case pics above haven't come out properly

Step 1
IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG
Step 2
IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1100.JPG
Step 3
IMG_1101.JPG
Step 4
IMG_1102.JPG
Step 5
IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1104.JPG

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Step 6) reassemble and juice her up...since the cotton swells just make sure airholes are still clear

IMG_1105.JPG

If you've done it right you'll be able to hold it upside down without leaking...obviously don't do this for too long the top cap isn't on plugging the juice hole ;) although I held it upside down long enough to take 2 photos my first one was crap cause my hand was shaking holding this and taking a pic

IMG_1107.JPG

Step 7) wack it on the mod, give it a quick fire, slap the top back on and vape away :)

IMG_1108.JPG

Thumbnails in case big pics didn't come out

Step 6

IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1107.JPG
Step 7
IMG_1108.JPG

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I'm late to the party but just got one of these. Very well done review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the kind words :)

It's a decent tank a builders wet dream for the 25mm class, it's got some quirks sure but puts out great flavour with bigger coils

Hanson

Member For 4 Years
Mine leaked at the + post. Not sure if i lost the o-ring between the + and base but i found a very small o-ring in the spare kit and insert it to the + post to stop leaking. It works.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Mine leaked at the + post. Not sure if i lost the o-ring between the + and base but i found a very small o-ring in the spare kit and insert it to the + post to stop leaking. It works.

Oring? Or insulator? there is normally a peek insulator under the positive post Hanson is that what you meant

Hanson

Member For 4 Years
fb87ec55fe78d644530a972084506c27.jpg

It was leaking from that perimeter around the + post. It has an o-ring on the groove atop already but i kept leaking. So i put a small o-ring i found in the bag insert it to that perimeter to finally stop the leaking. I dont know wheather i lost the small o-ring that was there initially when i disassemble it or what.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
fb87ec55fe78d644530a972084506c27.jpg

It was leaking from that perimeter around the + post. It has an o-ring on the groove atop already but i kept leaking. So i put a small o-ring i found in the bag insert it to that perimeter to finally stop the leaking. I dont know wheather i lost the small o-ring that was there initially when i disassemble it or what.

Ahh see what you mean now ;) good tip Hanson thanks

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You have inspired me to get mine out and give it a whirl :)

VU Sponsors