Become a Patron!

Augvape Merlin Mini RTA review from a dual coil kinda guy persepective

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was contacted by Augvape and asked if I would like to review there Merlin Mini. It wasn't a tank on my radar as I generally prefer dual coil RTA's with a lot of airflow, just fits my vape style better. I did know it also includes a dual coil deck so I figured I would give it a shot.

The packaging is pretty damn good, off to a good start

Get a good amount of orings, spare glass and an extra airflow reducer for the single coil deck for MTL vapers.

2 build decks, yes please

Going into this I just figured I would try the single coil deck for a day or 2 but eventually just use the dual coil deck for the majority of the time. I started off wicking the dual coil deck first though, just so I could get a feel of the tank in my usual preferred setup.

I used a dual SS spaced Clapton build and wicking was pretty straight forward. Used it for a whole day and was happy with the performance of this small tank. Flavor was real good and I got a nice dense cloud, not Boreas cloudy but very enjoyable.

Since I was pretty satisfied with the dual coil deck right off the bat that night I decided to dive into the Single coil deck. I figured I wanted to just get it over with so I can put the dual coil deck back in and enjoy, as I mentioned earlier single coil decks usually don't satisfy me.
Airflow reducer? No no no no

That was the first thing I removed, real easy with a flat head screwdriver.

Simple SS spaced Clapton, my goto when first reviewing tanks, like to keep them the same to remove that variable.

Loaded up the tank and gave it a go in single coil mode. First thought, good airflow and good flavor, so far so good. I really only planned on using the single coil for a day or 2 but the more I used it the more I appreciated it. Not as cloudy as the dual coil but the most enjoyable single coil RTA I have used thus far. The 2 day test wound up being my entire time with the tank thus far, about 3 weeks with everyday use and a couple of wick changes.

Competition
I had received a Geekvape Ammit a few days prior to the Merlin Mini showing up. I was curious about the 3d airflow on the Ammit and figured it might satisfy my need for more airflow from single coil RTA's. I put the same build in the Merlin Mini to make it a fair shot and new wicks in both tanks and loaded them up with the same juice. Both tanks were placed on Hohmtech Slice mods so that so I could compare as evenly as I could. Right off the bat the Merlin Mini has more airflow, not a tremendous amount more but noticeable. I also noticed that I got a more dense cloud from the Merlin Mini, likely due to having more airflow. Flavor wise there close but I give the edge to the Merlin Mini, might be due to the more dense cloud.
I do like the Ammit and since it is SS and 22mm it has found a place on my SMY SDNA75 for a very nice medium sized setup. If I had to choose it would be the Merlin Mini I would take every time though due to the increased airflow and 2 decks, I think it looks nicer as well.

Mods that were used to evaluate the Merlin Mini

Conclusion
Even though I was given the Merlin Mini for free I will freely admit that I was not a fan of the original Merlin which just had too tight airflow for me. I really believe the Merlin Mini is what the Original Merlin should have been, it is a big step up in performance for me. I know the original Merlin had a big following but fell short for people like me who liked more airflow. The Merlin Mini now gives the option for that extra airflow but also includes 2 airflow reducers to satisfy MTL vapers.....Win win in my book.

In the 3 weeks I have used the Merlin Mini I have not had any leaking issues, really no issues at all. It has been a go to tank for me when I am looking to get great flavor without clouding up a room. It is not a juice hog as well which is good thing due to it's small size, I can take it on the road with me and not worry about having to fill it all the time. I am also a fan of the looks and the stock drip tip is real comfortable.

I loved the Boreas but the Merlin Mini is now my favorite tank from Augvape, a real winner for me.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was contacted by Augvape and asked if I would like to review there Merlin Mini. It wasn't a tank on my radar as I generally prefer dual coil RTA's with a lot of airflow, just fits my vape style better. I did know it also includes a dual coil deck so I figured I would give it a shot.

Get a good amount of orings, spare glass and an extra airflow reducer for the single coil deck for MTL vapers.

Going into this I just figured I would try the single coil deck for a day or 2 but eventually just use the dual coil deck for the majority of the time. I started off wicking the dual coil deck first though, just so I could get a feel of the tank in my usual preferred setup.

I used a dual SS spaced Clapton build and wicking was pretty straight forward. Used it for a whole day and was happy with the performance of this small tank. Flavor was real good and I got a nice dense cloud, not Boreas cloudy but very enjoyable.

Since I was pretty satisfied with the dual coil deck right off the bat that night I decided to dive into the Single coil deck. I figured I wanted to just get it over with so I can put the dual coil deck back in and enjoy, as I mentioned earlier single coil decks usually don't satisfy me.

Simple SS spaced Clapton, my goto when first reviewing tanks, like to keep them the same to remove that variable.

Loaded up the tank and gave it a go in single coil mode. First thought, good airflow and good flavor, so far so good. I really only planned on using the single coil for a day or 2 but the more I used it the more I appreciated it. Not as cloudy as the dual coil but the most enjoyable single coil RTA I have used thus far. The 2 day test wound up being my entire time with the tank thus far, about 3 weeks with everyday use and a couple of wick changes.

Competition
I had received a Geekvape Ammit a few days prior to the Merlin Mini showing up. I was curious about the 3d airflow on the Ammit and figured it might satisfy my need for more airflow from single coil RTA's. I put the same build in the Merlin Mini to make it a fair shot and new wicks in both tanks and loaded them up with the same juice. Both tanks were placed on Hohmtech Slice mods so that so I could compare as evenly as I could. Right off the bat the Merlin Mini has more airflow, not a tremendous amount more but noticeable. I also noticed that I got a more dense cloud from the Merlin Mini, likely due to having more airflow. Flavor wise there close but I give the edge to the Merlin Mini, might be due to the more dense cloud.
I do like the Ammit and since it is SS and 22mm it has found a place on my SMY SDNA75 for a very nice medium sized setup. If I had to choose it would be the Merlin Mini I would take every time though due to the increased airflow and 2 decks, I think it looks nicer as well.

Conclusion
Even though I was given the Merlin Mini for free I will freely admit that I was not a fan of the original Merlin which just had too tight airflow for me. I really believe the Merlin Mini is what the Original Merlin should have been, it is a big step up in performance for me. I know the original Merlin had a big following but fell short for people like me who liked more airflow. The Merlin Mini now gives the option for that extra airflow but also includes 2 airflow reducers to satisfy MTL vapers.....Win win in my book.

In the 3 weeks I have used the Merlin Mini I have not had any leaking issues, really no issues at all. It has been a go to tank for me when I am looking to get great flavor without clouding up a room. It is not a juice hog as well which is good thing due to it's small size, I can take it on the road with me and not worry about having to fill it all the time. I am also a fan of the looks and the stock drip tip is real comfortable.

I loved the Boreas but the Merlin Mini is now my favorite tank from Augvape, a real winner for me.

Nice review bro.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of the very few single coil (optioned) tanks I have left to try..

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I really appreciate the compliment, if I can get to about 10% of the quality of your reviews I will be a satisfied man!
C'mon now man you're being too kind. You did a great job here and your review was on point.

-William Cowper

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the very few single coil (optioned) tanks I have left to try..
All around it is a really well thought out tank, I really think you will like it.

I just saw they have a Gold version of the Merlin Mini out now. I think I am going to buy that one, run one in single coil and the other in dual coil.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All around it is a really well thought out tank, I really think you will like it.

I just saw they have a Gold version of the Merlin Mini out now. I think I am going to buy that one, run one in single coil and the other in dual coil.

Im just waiting on some flash sale somewhere to get one..ive been on a single coil RTA quest and still looking for one to beat the white bone mini for flavor and clouds..Been a tough quest so far....I have a single coil deck coming for the Smok TF-RTA to try next..One I have enjoyed very much is the Taifun GT3 clone its just not a cloud chucker but its in second place for me as of right now.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

IMO, one of the most versatile tanks on the market.

-William Cowper

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im just waiting on some flash sale somewhere to get one..ive been on a single coil RTA quest and still looking for one to beat the white bone mini for flavor and clouds..Been a tough quest so far.

The White Bone Mini is on my radar too especially after reading what @Deucesjack had to say about it. My only reservation is I hear the airflow is a little tighter than the Merlin Mini, still want one though.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
its certainly more air flow than the serpent mini and a few other single coil tanks ive tried...more than even a few dual coil only RTA,s I own..i like the air flow..you don't fill your lungs to capacity in 3 or 4 seconds but its respectable air flow wise IMO

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
its certainly more air flow than the serpent mini and a few other single coil tanks ive tried...more than even a few dual coil only RTA,s I own..i like the air flow..you don't fill your lungs to capacity in 3 or 4 seconds but its respectable air flow wise IMO
Agreed. It's slightly tighter than the Merlin Mini with no restrictor pin.

-William Cowper

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Competition

Conclusion

Thanks for the review!
I've been eyeing this one.
Just got the Troll RTA & along with the Serpent Mini 25 I've had for awhile now, I'm in love with Wotofo at the moment

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the review!
I've been eyeing this one.
Just got the Troll RTA & along with the Serpent Mini 25 I've had for awhile now, I'm in love with Wotofo at the moment

Nothing wrong with Wotofo, I have a lot of tanks from them I really like.

The Troll RTA is definitely on my radar to get. I have an original serpent mini, have you compared the 25 to the original?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nothing wrong with Wotofo, I have a lot of tanks from them I really like.

The Troll RTA is definitely on my radar to get. I have an original serpent mini, have you compared the 25 to the original?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
No, I never did get the original Serpent. I was in love with my Tornado Nano RTA when I first started building my own coils, and had a Griffin 25 Mini as a backup, barey used it tho. Pretty much stuck with those.
Have had others in between, but none so far compare to those two from Wotofo.
Troll RTA is the easiest by far to build on. Not that the Serpent Mini 25 is difficult.
The Troll's air chamber/deck cover thingy (lol) & the base that the chuff cap screws into, are one piece. Makes life much easier.
Don't really care for one over the other of the Wotofo's. Both are excellent
I prefer a lower profile, clean look. Have tried loke hell to get into rda's. Can't do it. So I'm looking forward to Geekvape's Medusa. Looks pretty awesome.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That Medusa does look nice. Pretty sure I preordered the geekvape peerless RDA but don't think the Medusa yet.

Definitely going to get a Troll RTA based on what you have said about it. Serpent Mini 25 is on the radar too but it is getting hard to use so many tanks, I need another mouth and set of lungs...lol

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That Medusa does look nice. Pretty sure I preordered the geekvape peerless RDA but don't think the Medusa yet.

Definitely going to get a Troll RTA based on what you have said about it. Serpent Mini 25 is on the radar too but it is getting hard to use so many tanks, I need another mouth and set of lungs...lol

Did I mention the Troll RTA comes with an actual screwdriver?
Lol, how could I have forgotten that?
8134c3ad67440954f246096d0640a573.jpg

VU Sponsors