Become a Patron!

Attack of the Clones!

Jak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I recently got back into vaping (for good, I hope), and was eyeing a Kanger Subox Mini Kit. I contacted my supplier as I was planning to get both the black and white edition. Unfortunately, they were fresh out of the white ed. I remember during the previous week that I may have spotted a white one in one of the shops at the mall. I was pretty sure it was a Kanger Subox as I distinctly noted that the logo kinda reminded me of a luxury car brand. As I could not wait for my supplier to restock, I rushed into the purchase and grabbed a pair. Since I have been gone for a while from the vaping scene, I was unaware that they now make 1:1, almost perfect clones! Never thought I would be duped by a mall store. It wasn't like it was a shady brick and mortar place in a dark alley. I mean I could point out a knock off a few years back, but man, these clones are good!

So anyway, I went home, cracked open both kits, gave the white one to the wife, and happily vaped away. I remember being impressed with how this VW box was putting out (coming from a wooden full-mech dripper). I started going on about how great the vapor production was, the flavor hits, and all that. Then I started admiring the packaging when I saw it.

The authentication code.

I was like "Hey, neat!". So enter the code I did on the website provided while chugging away...

"Invalid Security Code, your product is not genuine, please return your good to the vendor you purchased it from!"

Both kits failed authentication.

I immediately contacted the store manager and asked for a full refund, got my money back, and went to my trusty supplier. They just got the new stocks in so I nicked a pair, checked the authentication code..Bingo! Crisis averted.

Quite frankly, I would've been ok with the clones as they were performing well. My only gripe is that the paint job's easily chipped off, plus I read somewhere that the internal protection stuff MAY not be there. So that's a concern. But what really got me was that they were selling the clones for $90 apiece, whereas the original was going for $75 each.

Here are a few things to watch out for to identify Kanger Subox clones:

- Never assume you have an original just coz you saw the sticker. Verify the code on Kanger's website. Please note that some clones use real codes, but upon verifying it, it would show that the code has been checked hundreds of times. What they do is they reproduce the code stickers and place it on the clones
- The battery cover magnets should have permanent pen markings on it. Manufacturers do this to identify polarity during assembly
- Some clones have the +/- button reversed
- Box is sealed in clear plastic on the original ones although some clones might be too
- The clone box will have the paperwork under the foam where the mod and tank sits, whereas the original will have them on top when you first open the box
- The clone comes with a black USB charging cable regardless of color edition. The original white edition will have a white cable
- The charging cable's plug on the original has contoured/rounded edges, while the clones will have straight line edges
- More cotton on the original
- More screws on the original
- The coils on the clones are more prone to leaking
- Some clones will have 2 0.5ohm coils and no 1.5ohm coils
- The original comes with a delrin drip tip with fine ridges along the side, while the clones will have a smooth plastic drip tip with a metal base
- The white edition clone does not have an extra white drip tip included
- The battery cover on the original closes either way, some clones will only close one-way
- The air flow control in the original is harder to turn than on the clones

Hope this helps!

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
Yeah you gotta be careful when China starts copying china!!! Glad it worked out good for you. I wonder how many see the cards but never actually check out the info given?

Reactions: Jak

psyshack

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think a lot of issues people have been having with SUBOX Mini's are clones. The clones seem to leak and have very poor finishs that chip and crack real easy... IMHO

VU Sponsors