Become a Patron!

Atomizer overheating... Solved!

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I received my VT Inbox today, and decided to use a SJMY Split R atty for squonking. I'm running dual Clapton SS 316L coils @ .23 Ohms / 32 watts. TC is set to 395F on the 316L DNA setting. The atty gets very hot, which is hell on my lips! With the coils as close as they are, I suppose this may be normal, but I don't know for sure? Should I run a taller atty, use smaller coils, standard round wire?

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The power requirement comes out to 42 watts, but it seems like getting a better hit at 32 watts. I'm going to try going with 26AWG / 2.5mm ID SS 317L coils tomorrow. I think the coils are too large and too close the the cap. A Trinity Comp glass cap would be perfect for the Split R atty.

Update: I'm loving the VT Inbox! For a single 18650 DNA75 mod, the battery holds up amazingly well. The new SS317L round coils did the trick!

Last edited:

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm posting my findings as a source of reference for others.

1. I recommend not using Clapton coils. They store particulates, which you do not want on your coils. Use round wire only.
2. Use 24AWG to 28 AWG wire. If SS, slightly span the coils.
3. Wrap coils at 2.5mm to 3mm. (2.5mm max for low-profile atomizers.)
4. Do not pre-heat dry coils. Wipe the wire clean, then wrap.
5. Set power to 10 watts BELOW optimal Steam Engine calculator setting... Check performance, and increase by .1 increments.
6. Set TC to 400F max.
7. If you see "Temperature Protected" indicator, atomizer nest-assembly is overheating.
8. If using Kanthal, monitor temp so that you aren't vaping over the 400F mark... Adjust power accordingly.
9. Keep coils clean of particulate matter buildup. Use distilled water only to clean coils. Do not use alcohol.
10. Do not lube o-rings (that share space with e-liquid) with oil of any kind... Use e-liquid only.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What a load o' shit. :facepalm:

1. Clean the coils, and you won"t be storing particulates. Round wire, flat wire, square wire; use what-the-fuck-ever shaped wire you fucking please.

2. Choose a gauge that fits your mod's capabilities, and provides the vape you desire. Some folks like to space their coils. Some don't. Try both ways, and see which you prefer.

3. Wrap coils at whatever diameter fits your atty, and gives you a good vape. 1mm or 10mm...if you got the space, the wire, and the amps, build whatever you damn well please.

4. Unless you're using titanium, feel free to dry burn new coils. You ain't hurtin' a god damned thing.

5. Starting 10W below recommended is fine. Increasing power in 0.1W increments will require 100 steps to get you to the recommended wattage. Time to change your batts.
1W increases are fine. 5W is fine too.

6. Set TC to whatever temp you bloody fucking like.

7. Nope. It means your chip is overheating because you either have a short, are pushing your mod too hard, are using shitty rewrapped 10A batts with bogus labels claiming "50A" & "5000mAh", or you're using a Wismec mod with a POS 510.

EDIT: Depending on the mod, it can also mean that the Temp you've set has been reached, and the mod is throttling the power to maintain that temp.
It DOES NOT mean the "atomizer nest-assembly(whatever the hell that is) is overheating".

8. Where the hell does that butt-nugget come from? Oh yeah, your butt.
There's no way for 99.9999% of vapors to monitor the temp of a coil. Only the Hohmtech FSK chip can perform TC on kanthol, and it's not even monitoring temperature. It's reading the rise in resistance of the wire as it heats.
FOH with that shit.

9. You can dip your coils in cat piss as long as you dry burn them after. I'd probably rinse with water too, though. 'Cause, you know, cat piss.

10. You almost had this one, but you had to get all parenthetical. Just don't pit oil on a fucking atty. PERIOD. Unless you've got some kinda ghetto-ass wrought-iron homemade shit, oil is completely unnecessary.

Those are my observations of your observations. Try not to take it too personally, as it seems you are kinda green, and I'm in a foul fucking mood. But that's some seriously stupid shit.

Last edited:

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I lowered the wattage down to 19 watts on the VT Inbox, and it's hitting like champ! I was getting some jumping around with the resistance? Since downloading the DNA75 service pack, it's spot-on. :)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL

Mostly, what @gakudzu said, but low-key.

Also, I'd like to refer back to the OP's second post, to make sure this gets cleared:
"The power requirement comes out to 42 watts, but it seems like getting a better hit at 32 watts"

Where are you getting a "power requirement"??

There's no particular power requirement...
I mean, I guess there's some minimum below which you won't get vapor - but it seems like you may be interpreting some coil calculator's input number as a "requirement" and are then surprised that you like yours set lower.

We use steam engine to build a coil that will vape the way we like it: using whatever wire, watts and wrap will get there...
You can't break ohm's law, but you sure as heck can fire your mod at whatever watts you like (well, actually I can't cuz I vape mechs - so I build a coil that will run nicely at about 3.9 volts or so).

1. I recommend not using Clapton coils. They store particulates, which you do not want on your coils. Use round wire only.
5. Set power to 10 watts BELOW optimal Steam Engine calculator setting... Check performance, and increase by .1 increments.
6. Set TC to 400F max.
7. If you see "Temperature Protected" indicator, atomizer nest-assembly is overheating.
8. If using Kanthal, monitor temp so that you aren't vaping over the 400F mark... Adjust power accordingly.
9. Keep coils clean of particulate matter buildup. Use distilled water only to clean coils. Do not use alcohol.
10. Do not lube o-rings (that share space with e-liquid) with oil of any kind... Use e-liquid only.

1. Clean the coils, and you won"t be storing particulates. Round wire, flat wire, square wire; use what-the-fuck-ever shaped wire you fucking please.

2. Choose a gauge that fits your mod's capabilities, and provides the vape you desire. Some folks like to space their coils. Some don't. Try both ways, and see which you prefer.

3. Wrap coils at whatever diameter fits your atty, and gives you a good vape. 1mm or 10mm...if you got the space, the wire, and the amps, build whatever you damn well please.

4. Unless you're using titanium, feel free to dry burn new coils. You ain't hurtin' a god damned thing.

5. Starting 10W below recommended is fine. Increasing power in 0.1W increments will require 100 steps to get you to the recommended wattage. Time to change your batts.

7. Nope. It means your chip is overheating because you either have a short, are pushing your mod too hard, are using shitty rewrapped 10A batts with bogus labels claiming "50A" & "5000mAh", or you're using a Wismec mod with a POS 510.

There's no way for 99.9999% of vapors to monitor the temp of a coil. Only the Hohmtech FSK chip can perform TC on kanthol, and it's not even monitoring temperature. It's reading the rise in resistance of the wire as it heats.
FOH with that shit.

9. You can dip your coils in cat piss as long as you dry burn them after. I'd probably rinse with water too, though. 'Cause, you know, cat piss.

10. You almost had this one, but you had to get all parenthetical. Just don't pit oil on a fucking atty. PERIOD. Unless you've got some kinda ghetto-ass wrought-iron homemade shit, oil is completely unnecessary.

Those are my observations of your observations. Try not to take it too personally, as it seems you are kinda green, and I'm in a foul fucking mood. But that's some seriously stupid shit.

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL

Also, I'd like to refer back to the OP's second post, to make sure this gets cleared:
"The power requirement comes out to 42 watts, but it seems like getting a better hit at 32 watts"

I mean, I guess there's some minimum below which you won't get vapor - but it seems like you may be interpreting some coil calculator's input number as a "requirement" and are then surprised that you like yours set lower.

We use steam engine to build a coil that will vape the way we like it: using whatever wire, watts and wrap will get there...
You can't break ohm's law, but you sure as heck can fire your mod at whatever watts you like (well, actually I can't cuz I vape mechs - so I build a coil that will run nicely at about 3.9 volts or so).
1. My points are 100% valid.
2. Excessive buildup of particulates (i.e. sooting) prevents proper cooling of the nest-assembly. This not only effects TC, it can also result in the inhalation of carcinogenic toxins.
3. As stated... 24AWG to 28 AWG correlates to low profile attys, not ALL attys.
4. Had you included my revised observation in post #3 (vs cherry-picking), you would have know that I modified requirement to optimal.
5. Firing your mod to whatever watts you like IS breaking Ohm's Law...but that's where the fun is! As long as you're not overheating the VG component of the mixture. i.e. above 400F - 425F max. I would go with a 50/50 mixture, if not lower; in regards to VG.

I can't stress this enough... Please read the entire thread BEFORE replying! Let's not legitimize grotesque rantings from the lunatic left... e.g. gakudzu. Cogent replies will aid in preventing VU from becoming the "CNN" of the vaping community. Awarding trolls with LOL's and thumbs-up replies only fuels their Saul Alinsly-esque agenda... Demoralization is their creed.

Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1. Your points are 100% valid, TO YOU, because they are YOUR OPINIONS.

2. Now it's "Excessive buildup of particulates", is it? Like I said, clean the coils.

3. Pointing out your errors isn't "cherry picking". It just hurts your ego.

4. Ohm's Law doesn't apply to regulated mods. Use Watt's Law(an extension of Ohm's Law), instead.

You can't fault my arguement, so you play politics? LMMFAO!! Stick to the point!
Your little book of vaping rules is worthy of wiping my ass, and that's about all.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is a nest assembly? Do you build coils like a robin? The buildup on coils after use should not have a negative impact on tc, or a very small amount. I've used 20g in low pro attys. I've built 3mm id in low pro attys. I've used 4mm id in big ass rtas. I've had kanthal staples in tc on the hohmwrecker at 525f and 150w.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
LOL

Hahaha - but yes

2. Excessive buildup of particulates (i.e. sooting) prevents proper cooling of the nest-assembly. This not only effects TC, it can also result in the inhalation of carcinogenic toxins.
4. Had you included my revised observation in post #3 (vs cherry-picking), you would have know that I modified requirement to optimal.
5. Firing your mod to whatever watts you like IS breaking Ohm's Law...but that's where the fun is! As long as you're not overheating the VG component of the mixture. i.e. above 400F - 425F max. I would go with a 50/50 mixture, if not lower; in regards to VG.
I can't stress this enough... Please read the entire thread BEFORE replying! Let's not legitimize grotesque rantings from the lunatic left... e.g. gakudzu. Cogent replies will aid in preventing VU from becoming the "CNN" of the vaping community. Awarding trolls with LOL's and thumbs-up replies only fuels their Saul Alinsly-esque agenda... Demoralization is their creed.

Hahaha uh, NO

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

OK, now I see that
crazy-guy.jpg

But also, make sure that
another-crazy-lady.jpg

Because, otherwise, you might
dsc_0058.jpg

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

6. Set TC to 400F max.
I I like some of your advice better ;) though on my Pico mod and some others "protection" just means you're controlling at your temperature setting and that's a good thing :)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

EDIT: Depending on the mod, it can also mean that the Temp you've set has been reached, and the mod is throttling the power to maintain that temp.
It DOES NOT mean the "atomizer nest-assembly(whatever the hell that is) is overheating".

FOH with that shit.

11. Leave a reply demonstrating you aren't as smart as you think but are quite the ahole lol

67Mopar

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You want clouds - you got em!

Mr. Methane says; "Make a wish!" :)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Absolutely lost me there. I have tried and at times do use Claptons. I enjoy using them. Likewise, I also enjoy simple round wire coils. Cannot tell anyone which is best or correct to use, will not either. Everyone likes something different. "I'm unique and special, ... just like everyone else."

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not going to be drawn into this thread but just want to say a few things:
1. please don't get political (and that goes for anyone and everyone)
2. The first response to your thread was over the edge and rude (but made some good points)
3. Never say you are 100 % correct.
I don't use TC so have no input to offer (just happy with gool ol wattage mode)
OK... carry on with the madness.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
^^as above, me neither, sooooo old

Claptons definitely seem to gunk up more readily then awg tho, in my experience

Last edited:
Well this thread was an LOLer lol.
Re Claptons: clean the coils when wicking. No biggie imo 🤷🏻.
I'm new to RTAs etc (vaping 10 yrs tho) and still learning, but sofar I'm liking tri fused Claptons. Gots a bunch of types yet to try though (order on way with 7 types prewrapped of 6 each, plus a 10ft spool of tri fused Clapton wire) .

Also I like to dry burn to get any potential manufacturing crap off it etc. 🤷🏻. Plus when going to clean em.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also I like to dry burn to get any potential manufacturing crap off it etc. 🤷🏻. Plus when going to clean em.

Flint: "Now you know."
Roadblock: "Knowing is half the battle."
Tripwire: "Yo, Joe!"
Host of Joes: "Yo, Joe!"

Sign At School I Cleaned Tonight: "The more you read, the more you know."

Bob from Church Of Sub-genius: "Read nothing you believe and believe nothing you read, even this."

My Friend Gary from High School: "Sometimes, you just have to say fuck it."

All of this to say, you hopper of grass learned well did you. I think many of us follow suit and do as you do. It ultimately comes out in the wash.

"Vaping is too hard/complex, ... I rather, ..."

Me: "Hoo Boo Ya, go on and whatever then, piss off and let us be. You got your merry, we got ours."

So I received my VT Inbox today, and decided to use a SJMY Split R atty for squonking. I'm running dual Clapton SS 316L coils @ .23 Ohms / 32 watts. TC is set to 395F on the 316L DNA setting. The atty gets very hot, which is hell on my lips! With the coils as close as they are, I suppose this may be normal, but I don't know for sure? Should I run a taller atty, use smaller coils, standard round wire?
You will need to give your atomizer a deep clean and/or replace the coil. If your atomizer is still overheating after a good clean, your method of vaping may be the issue. Chain vaping can lead to your atomizer's inability to replenish your e-juice fast enough, resulting in a damaged coil and diminishing flavor

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
You will need to give your atomizer a deep clean and/or replace the coil. If your atomizer is still overheating after a good clean, your method of vaping may be the issue. Chain vaping can lead to your atomizer's inability to replenish your e-juice fast enough, resulting in a damaged coil and diminishing flavor
Replying to a member that last posted here over 6 years ago

:crazy:

1706013150356.png

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Haha, I love when someone responds to an old thread (like 2015) but... it might still help someone in some way.
It is just not the old thread which yes could still help someone even today, it is the replying to help someone that hasn't posted here on the forum since 2017.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors