Become a Patron!

Asthma and vaping

mammado

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so I have asthma.. Like the bad get incubated come home on o2 kind. I'm also old ish (43). I started vaping almost 5 months ago and I haven't had any trouble since. Still on controller meds very little rescue meds and no hospital visits.I went to my doctor and he said my lungs sound like a non asthmstic. I was in total shock, so was he. I think I'll send my old nasal cannulas to the Surgeon General with a letter and a copy of my medical records.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Considering, that asthma inhalers are using VG/PG, I'm not surprised.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My asthma got much better since I started vaping.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I seem to be the exception, or maybe I just had too-high expectations of how much my asthma might improve once I stopped smoking. My asthma was always very mild; so mild that when I smoked, I didn't need Advair at all, just used my albuterol my prescribed 8 puffs a day. But since I switched to vaping, I've had to go on Advair, and I find that even with Advair, I'm now using my albuterol about 10 puffs a day (shh, don't tell my doctor!).

I attribute this to a couple of different things. 1) cigarette tobacco actually contains both bronchodilators and topical anesthetics, to make it possible to inhale hot smoke all day and not feel like one is inhaling fire; now that I'm not getting extra bronchodilators, and the topical anesthetics are gone from my lungs, it might be that my asthma isn't *actually* worse, but now I can perceive it much more clearly; 2) humidity has always made my asthma worse -- humid summer weather, even too-hot showers, and I'm sucking on the albuterol, and vapor, of course, is moist; and 3) the lack of all the "tar" in my lungs, and the hygroscopic nature of PG/VG, dries out my lungs so much that coughing-up has become very difficult; when I had a lot of phlegm in my lungs, I coughed constantly, but it was easier, it *moved* -- now moving it, getting rid of it, requires a lot more effort, so I'm not coughing-up as much stuff, but I have to cough just as much if not more, to get rid of what little congestion there is. I've been suffering a mild cold for a week or so, and this does seem to be the case -- with the congestion from the cold, I'm coughing-up a lot, but it's easier, just because there's more in there.

It may also be the case that I simply smoked for so long, 39 of my now-55 yrs, that I have a lot of healing to do before I reach any sort of real wellness, as an ex-smoker. I can't help but think that smoking for 3/4 of one's life is a really good way to damage one's lungs, perhaps permanently. And it's certainly true that I'll always be an asthmatic, no matter how long I abstain from smoking. And maybe I'm simply more aware of what my lungs are doing, now that I'm no longer in smoker's denial of the damaging effects of smoking.

Andria

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got terrible allergies back after I quit smoking cold turkey.
However in the last couple weeks that I have been vaping, my itchiness is almost non existent. I hope it stays that way. lol

mammado

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Andria I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv but it seems to me that advair isn't the controller for med for you. Or maybe you need the higher dosage one. It took a long times to find the right combo for me. They didn't work great until I stopped smoking but now wow I'm just in shock. Also the rescue inhaler duo neb worked much better than albuterol alone. Its a combo inhaler alb/ iprat. It might be a good idea to cue your dr in on how often you are using your rescue. Oh singular makes a big difference to.

mammado

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bugalien. I also stopped itching I hadn't even realized it until I read your post

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One time the doctor gave fiance's father Advair for his copd.... He tried one puff from it and could hardly catch his breath... Called his doctor and the dr said... well don't use it, we'll find something better for you to use... never did... fuck that guy. Got a new dr and all they are doing is getting to go to a dr every other week... Fiance's father can't afford all those gd copays and in between that they keep wanting him to visit his NP... that's even more copays... these bastards are trying to take him for a ride. We've been canceling appts left and right because all his dad needs is just refills for his normal meds which work just fine. I hate doctors all they want is fucking money... they don't even care about saving lives anymore. :(

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv but it seems to me that advair isn't the controller for med for you. Or maybe you need the higher dosage one. It took a long times to find the right combo for me. They didn't work great until I stopped smoking but now wow I'm just in shock. Also the rescue inhaler duo neb worked much better than albuterol alone. Its a combo inhaler alb/ iprat. It might be a good idea to cue your dr in on how often you are using your rescue. Oh singular makes a big difference to.

I'm taking the 500/50 dosage of Advair -- high as it goes. You may be right about it not being exactly the right drug, but since I have no insurance, but do have an enrollment in GSK's Patient Assistance Program, I'm limited to whatever GSK offers for asthma. That shit's mega-expensive, but thanks to that program, I get it gratis.

I do get some free samples from my doc when I go for my checkups; one that has been really helpful is called Dulera, but it's probably just as well that I use it only as a supplemental drug, because if I use it everyday all the time, it gives me laryngitis, no matter how much I gargle and rinse after using it.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One time the doctor gave fiance's father Advair for his copd.... He tried one puff from it and could hardly catch his breath... Called his doctor and the dr said... well don't use it, we'll find something better for you to use... never did... fuck that guy. Got a new dr and all they are doing is getting to go to a dr every other week... Fiance's father can't afford all those gd copays and in between that they keep wanting him to visit his NP... that's even more copays... these bastards are trying to take him for a ride. We've been canceling appts left and right because all his dad needs is just refills for his normal meds which work just fine. I hate doctors all they want is fucking money... they don't even care about saving lives anymore. :(

Precisely why I'm very limited as to what drugs I can use. For an asthmatic, even breathing isn't free.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hate doctors all they want is fucking money... they don't even care about saving lives anymore. :(

And this is absolutely the truth. They're nothing but shills for BP, even moreso than the FDA/CDC and all our congress critters.

Andria

VU Sponsors