Become a Patron!

Aspire bvc coils lasting time.

So, i'm vaping on a nautilus 2 tank. So far i've used a 1.8ohm coil and a 0.7ohm coil, in 4 days. I've read people who use them for 2 week, yet i only got those 2 (which where included with the tank) to last 2 days each. Maybe i'm doing something wrong?
The 1.8 ohm coil i vaped at 12.5w. The 0.7 i vaped at 22w. I mix my own liquied with 30% VG, 70% PG, 1% Ethyl Maltol & 0.6mg nicotine.
PG & VG ratio as far as i know is a fairly common mixture and should not gung up too quickly. I vape about 8ml a day.
I tried cleaning them and doing a dry burn, but these coil do not like that at all.

I just installed a new 1.6 ohm coil which measures at 1.45 ohm and i'm using 18.5w. What could i be doing wrong if my coils only last about 2 days?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use the Aspire 1.6Ω coils in my Nautilus Mini and get 2-3 weeks on them. Proper priming is a key along with not firing them at too high a wattage. The e-Liquids you use also play a part in the longevity but I vape High VG in all my liquids.

18.5 Watts is way too high for the 1.6Ω coils as far as I know.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Vaping Underground @idiocracy

Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure what wattage to use 1.6 ohm at. I tried finding a guide and there is a power guide that says around 6v should be ideal, and 18.5w is below 6v.
Like here. http://static.wixstatic.com/media/6...1/6b486d_f251f9b32cbc48e69deaebfb24d4a19b.jpg
This guide says you can run 1.5ohm at 7.7w or 3.4v. If i do that then nothing happens.
Aspire recommends 10-14w for the 1.8 and 18-23w for the 0.7 ohm. So it seems weird other sites would recommend lower wattage. And there are similar charts from other sites.

Priming is when you fire it up the first time, right? I install it and let it sit for several min before using it, i also drop a drop in from the top. But that does not seem necessary.
High VG is a thick liquid and should in theory gung quicker than my liquid that is high on PG which is a thin liquid. Either i'm unlucky with those 2 coils or i am doing something wrong.
You forgot to mention what wattage you use on yours.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Priming a coil means to saturate the cotton before you fire it. I put a few drops in the coil on the liquid holes and then I do NO Power pulls to get the liquid flowing. Starting at lower wattage then work your way up to your sweet spot. Although they say I think 10 to 16 Watts for the 1.6Ω coils I vape them at 9.5W to 10.5-11 Watts maximum.

High VG is a thick liquid and should in theory gung quicker than my liquid that is high on PG which is a thin liquid.

VG doesn't gunk coils in my opinion it is the sweeteners or additives in the liquids. In my opinion since PG is thinner it vaporizes at a lower temperature and I find high PG liquid trashes my coils faster. I mistakenly ordered so liquids with 50/50 but I normally vape 70-80% VG.

I see. The place i buy my liquid recommends thinning it if it's over 50% VG, that's why i bought the ratio i did.
But it would be nice to hear some power recommendations from other people as it's kinda vage the info you can find about how much or how little power to use to make the coils last longer.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I see no reason to thin e-Liquid and I do not vape less than 70% VG. For them to tell you that sound like you need to find a place to buy your vape gear with more educated employees. If you look on the Websites for companies that sell the coils you will see recommended wattage ranges.

Oh, they aren't saying you have to. They just recommend it as thick liquid can cause problems with some coils.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They just recommend it as thick liquid can cause problems with some coils.

From my personal experience I must disagree because I only vape High or Max VG e-Liquids and I do not have any problems with a multitude of tanks I have heard that about. Let off the fire button while still drawing on your vape helps to cool the coils and primes it for the next hit is one way to extend coil life.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It most probably is just the spread of incorrect info like with many other devices but as we always say YMMV..............

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've found on my Naut 2 that backing the top off 3/4 turn from full tight helps the wicking. I run a 40/60 PG/VG with the 1.8 triton mini coils at 13 watts and can chain it pretty good.

I've found on my Naut 2 that backing the top off 3/4 turn from full tight helps the wicking. I run a 40/60 PG/VG with the 1.8 triton mini coils at 13 watts and can chain it pretty good.

That sounds weird that the tightness of the top affects the wick somehow. But i don't tighten mine too much, as i've once experience where the coil follows with you unscrew it. So i learned that lesson pretty quick. But i'll try loosen it a bit just to test it.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think the tank vacuum locks a bit as it heats up. Backing off full tight allows air in. Too far and it leaks and floods coil. I've found 3/4 to be about right. Coil will only stay with the top if it's not tight enough at the bottom, I crank it as tight as I can with fingers.
That said, you shouldn't have wicking issues with high PG liquid. If you're fairly new, like myself, it takes time to figure out all the variables of watts, air flow, draw style, etc. Just keep at it and don't dry burn pre-made coils, they're trash after that.

I'm not sure what "Backing off full tight allows air in." means, the air comes in through the coil holes to the juice chamber, you see the bubbles every now and then. Are you talking about loosening the top just enough for it to not be air tight ?

I don't really have any issues with the wick being fed with juice. But the taste changes drastically into something that's not very nice.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
taste changes drastically into something that's not very nice.
This would seem like a dry hit = burnt cotton. From not wicking fast enough, or too much heat. Which could be too much power or not enough air flow. It's all a balance. Not really sure what the issue is, just trying to help narrow it down.

I turn top back from full tight so it wicks quicker and and I can hit it quicker. I see bubbles after every pull, which is a double most of the time. Guess I just think of it as air going in to displace the juice as it wicks out. It works for me better than when it's cranked down tight, it wicks faster.

Considering the high PG i don't think it's burnt cotton. Anything is possible tho, so can't say for sure. Powerwise i'm staying within what's recommended for the coil. So 1.8ohm is 10-14w, and 1.6ohm must be around 12-16w and i'm right now using 13w with a 1.6ohm.
The first few hours the taste is great, but then it starts changing. My last coil lasted 3 days before i thought too much of the taste had been lost.

I have an Aspire Nauty 2 tank and Innokin Coolfire IV....The Aspire tank flooded on me the first time, but that was my fault, I didn't check the coil was in right....since then, I have been using the 1.8 coil, with El Diablo St Louis 6mg 50/50 liquid, at 13 watts, and it's lasted me 2 weeks so far, no burning, leaking, gurgling etc.
I have had problems with unscrewing the tank and the coil coming with it, that's a boo boo on the Aspire design team.....but other than that, my overall experience using this tank has been ok. The vape is nice, smooth and the St Louis liquid tastes laaaaavelly :)
I also have a Kangertech Subvod 1000-C gizmo with their new nano tank.....I use the same 50/50 St Louis liquid with that as well, and it's a real dayum great vape....is smooth, tastes lovely and gives off bootyful thick fluffy cloudage....both gizmos have kept me off filthy fags for almost a month now. I was a c*nnabis smoker too, I gave both fags and xxxx up at the same time, and I would now much rather vape tasty juice forever, rather than ever go back to stinky smokes :D

Considering the high PG i don't think it's burnt cotton. Anything is possible tho, so can't say for sure. Powerwise i'm staying within what's recommended for the coil. So 1.8ohm is 10-14w, and 1.6ohm must be around 12-16w and i'm right now using 13w with a 1.6ohm.
The first few hours the taste is great, but then it starts changing. My last coil lasted 3 days before i thought too much of the taste had been lost.
The 1.6 are rated for 7-11 watts. Says it directly on each and every coil.

Last edited:
I think the tank vacuum locks a bit as it heats up. Backing off full tight allows air in. Too far and it leaks and floods coil. I've found 3/4 to be about right. Coil will only stay with the top if it's not tight enough at the bottom, I crank it as tight as I can with fingers.
That said, you shouldn't have wicking issues with high PG liquid. If you're fairly new, like myself, it takes time to figure out all the variables of watts, air flow, draw style, etc. Just keep at it and don't dry burn pre-made coils, they're trash after that.
This is 100% correct in my experience as well. Top fills tend to create vacuuming. I can slowly loosen the top and instantly watch as numerous bubbles are released from the coil. Best to leave it a bit loose but not too loose that it ends up leaking. Gotta find that sweet spot.

VU Sponsors