Become a Patron!

Aspire BVC coil not lasting anymore?

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
Hello!
I recently purchased the Aspire Zelos kit, around 2 months ago and I used both 0.7 and 1.8 coils. The first 3 coils I had lasted 2 weeks, the second one as well and the next few started to last less and less. Now I'm happy if I get 5 days of use out of them and it's starting to get on my nerves and my wallet as well.
When using the 1.8 coil , I like to vape at around 13.5W and when I use the 0.7, I vape at 18W. I use the first 2 air openings with both of the coils.
The juices I use are not that sweet and I rarely use coloured juices. I don't vape below the coil holes and I'm not chainvaping.
Any idea on what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Did you switch the brand of juice you were using during this time?

Some eliquids end up burning through coils faster than others.

I was using one that looked lighter in color than the one I had been using before it but my coils were burning out almost twice as fast.

This was in the Aspire Nautilus AIO pod style device with the 1.8 ohm coils.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems when I first started using Nautilus 1.8, 12w was the overall sweetspot. ymmv but thats where I kept it at and the coils lasted good.
Did you get the kit with the Nautilus 2 tank, or the 2S?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hello!
I recently purchased the Aspire Zelos kit, around 2 months ago and I used both 0.7 and 1.8 coils. The first 3 coils I had lasted 2 weeks, the second one as well and the next few started to last less and less. Now I'm happy if I get 5 days of use out of them and it's starting to get on my nerves and my wallet as well.
When using the 1.8 coil , I like to vape at around 13.5W and when I use the 0.7, I vape at 18W. I use the first 2 air openings with both of the coils.
The juices I use are not that sweet and I rarely use coloured juices. I don't vape below the coil holes and I'm not chainvaping.
Any idea on what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance
Are you getting your coils from the same place? Sounds like a switch from authentics to clones to me.

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
I own the Nautilus 2 atomizer and the coils I buy are not clones. They have the Aspire package and I buy them from the best vape shop in town.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I own the Nautilus 2 atomizer and the coils I buy are not clones. They have the Aspire package and I buy them from the best vape shop in town.
Just so you know, the clones also come in Aspire packaging. Maybe ask your shop if they are buying them from someplace new.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Aspire BVC coils have a code on the back of the box where you can check the website for authenticity.

Even the best vape shops get burned sometimes because they are buying from either large US distributors or directly from overseas.

Edit:

https://www.aspirecig.com

If you scroll to the bottom and put your code from the back of your box of coils you could troubleshoot this one right now.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I just checked it up and it show me that it's genuine (the coil package)

How about the juice.
Have you been using a different brand or flavor now that you weren't using when the coils were lasting?

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
Yes. In the beginning I was using Liqua NY Cheescake. The bottle was huge and the juice lasted for about 3 weeks. Then I started using HeadShot Fruit Series ( Strawberry and Watermelon) and now I'm using Mean Monocles.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes. In the beginning I was using Liqua NY Cheescake. The bottle was huge and the juice lasted for about 3 weeks. Then I started using HeadShot Fruit Series ( Strawberry and Watermelon) and now I'm using Mean Monocles.

The eliquid may have something to do with it.
The only way to find out would be to try some of what you were using before for a solid week or so to see if the coil lasts longer.

The only two things I can think of is the eliquid or the coils being fake which you already checked and confirmed were legit.

I never had the eliquids that you mentioned so I don't know for sure if that's it or not.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking you're using the same airflow for both coils. The .7 will need more air to stay cooler and may be turning the cotton on those coils faster. But with that theory I'm not sure why the 1.8 would die faster than normal unless it's the juice.

Laurent

Member For 4 Years
What ratio vg/pg are you using? It's not recommended to use higher than 50 vg although some do with few problems. I find with 50/50 I get 1700-2000 puffs which equals approx 15mls juice per coil before it starts lacking flavor. With the 1.8 coil I run between 11-12.5w. When I was getting shorter life (flavor) out of my coils it was suggested to start a new coil on a lower setting at 8.5 and take few puffs. Slowly going up .5w or so after taking 5 or so puffs until your at your desired setting. Worked like a charm.

In colder weather the juice is much thicker and wicking takes a lot longer between puffs. Best to warm up the mod/juice prior to vaping or you run the risk of burring the cotton in the coil.

When you say "lasted" are you referring to lack of flavor or burnt coil?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the number #1 complaint involving MASS PRODUCED coilheads..... Sometimes they work great, sometimes OK and others not at all..

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
This is the number #1 complaint involving MASS PRODUCED coilheads..... Sometimes they work great, sometimes OK and others not at all..
I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Yes, some manufacturers are known for that... ( :cough: :cough: SMOK) But I'm a Kanger Sub/Toptank Mini lover and ONLY use the prebuilt coil heads. I do not have this problem with Kanger. Only time I ever did, it was discovered that that box of coils were clones and the shop didn't know they were getting clones. I also use a lot of Innokin and Aspire and do not have this problem with them either.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree... I ran my 1.8's at 10-12 watts.

Yes, I believe Aspire recommends 12W max. Some people get no life out of SMOK coils, but I get an average of 5,000 Puffs on mine. Proper priming, break in and usage is the key to long coil life. Starting low and working your way up in wattage is a must do procedure.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I went and refreshed my memory and you started vaping last July with a pen style, then got this Zelos Kit 2 months ago :cheers:
I was hoping you got the Zelos Kit 2.0 that came with the 2S tank since it is a little more versatile. But if your wanting to stay MTL then that versatility may be null.
With 12w being max and shortest coil lifespan for 1.8Ω, you could try the 1.2 or lower, but like already said, the lower the Ω the more air it needs which negates MTL to some degree. I used to run the original's af w/1.8 all the way open vs the 2 holes your using for 1.8 & .7 both.
You've been using 2 af holes for both 1.8 and .7 because you've tried more air with the .7 and don't like it as much?

Could be your ready to get a rebuildable [MTL if that's what you want] to lower cost, > go umpteen times longer between coils, thicker/denser more flavorful vape. ;) A single coil RTA. You can use it on the mod you have.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I can say I like them both. I changed the coil today, it was really fried. Can I rebuild BVC coils?
I see but not viewed a few YT's on it.
Be easier with proper rebuildable and you can taylor it's vape to what you want because of coil and coil material choices. Learning curve isn't too much, I mean, there's a few thing to it, but nothing hard to do.
That's because of your over 12w with just 2 air holes open

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
To be honest, I wouldn't buy another vape for the sake of being able to rebuild coils easily. I saw that it's possible to rebuild bvc and I will give it a try, I like learning new things.
About the airflow opening... what do you suggest? How should I use them? I currently use the .7 coil with 2 airflow openings.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I would just set it like I like it and not worry about how long the coils last. If I got tired of buying too many or rebuilding coils, then I would make a change to a diff atty, be it oem coil or not. Main thing is to not smoke, and any option costs less.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
I've vaped through my share of Atlantis-styled coils from different manufacturers.

I still say authentic 0.5 ohm Amigo Donner/Riptide coils last the longest.
They have a good watt range also. (15-50 watts)
Paired with Verde Valley Vapes liquid, I can get 70-90 mls through the coil before it gets real wonky.

D94FBDF3-75D4-4F5E-9F5D-9101B85E16E2.jpeg

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
Hell.. Friday just started and the current starts to get fried..To be honest, I vaped a bit more these days

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hell.. Friday just started and the current starts to get fried..To be honest, I vaped a bit more these days
Are you saying that coil lasted 1 day?
Are you getting dry or anemic hits?

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
This is the 3rd day. No dry hits, somehow it's fine now. Maybe it was due to refilling and not "juicing up" properly. Maybe the liquid I use is too sugary, I have no idea. The first coils lasted a really long time..

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
So I dripped a few drops of liquid inside the coil and the flavour is back. Also, no burnt taste whatsoever. Is it possible for a coil to dry up inside? Maybe for the air passing through it?
It might sound stupid but it's the only explanation I have so far..

Edit:
And another mistake I did.. I found out I'm chain vaping. I don't have the vape in my mouth all the time but when I do, I take successive puffs. I don't recall doing this with my first coils maybe because of the novelty a new product offers and I enjoyed the flavor more.. Could this be the actual problem?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
So I dripped a few drops of liquid inside the coil and the flavour is back. Also, no burnt taste whatsoever. Is it possible for a coil to dry up inside? Maybe for the air passing through it?

Edit:
And another mistake I did.. I found out I'm chain vaping. I don't have the vape in my mouth all the time but when I do, I take successive puffs. I don't recall doing this with my first coils maybe because of the novelty a new product offers and I enjoyed the flavor more.. Could this be the actual problem?

Yes, With the BVC coils chain vaping can cause them to dry out which would wear out the cotton faster by causing it to burn.

I have two of the Aspire Nautilus AIO devices for when I'm out and I will usually vape one a little bit and switch to the other one.

I use regular higher wattage setups when i'm home or somewhere I feel comfortable using them.

These littler pod style vapes are great for being out with the general public.

I have noticed little to no unwanted attention now that I don't have a huge permanent strawberry scented cloud surrounding me everywhere I go.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One reason why I got away from premade coils a few years ago, this particular coil in fact. Started to build.

If it's not your juice then you've encountered a bad batch or two of these coils. As long as you the user are going about using them in the same way, coils are the issue. There's an online link (I didn't save it but it's searchable) on different coils that match up with each other. I've done this and had no issue.
Again, it's so much easier to build than to buy those things. It takes just a moment of your time to last ages on your mod. Start up cost to build is cheaper than a blister pack of coils and will last you a very long time. Much less headache as well and you'll always have coil wire/cotton 24/7 at your convenience vs running out to get a coil or wait on vape mail. :)

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Edit:

Yes and yes.

The cotton needs a little recovery time on those type coils. Be careful not to burn up one with long draws or back to back. Even a primer puff out(I forget the terminology), will kill a premade in a heartbeat. I learned my lesson well on that! The cotton really doesn't dry out as much as what you think. It's the chain vaping and recovery time. :)

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
I would try building my own coils, not only because of cash savings but also because I like to make my own things. It gives me more confidence but I wouldn't buy another atomizer for the sake of it since I only have the kit for about 2 months already. I saw a few videos about building bvc coils but there are too many mixed opinions..

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next time you see some on sale you can pick up one. You can always buy the things to start making the coils and set it aside. I had so many attys that required prebuilts then bought one that came with both, a RTA...Lemo back in the day. I started there once my coils burned out.
Some or many, it's the standard now, come with premade coils that you wick up. I truly enjoyed the quality of flavor they produced and really felt I had wasted so much money on juice that I never truly tasted. I'm into my own DIY juice now, very new at it actually.
It takes me only a few minutes to build a coil and place into the mod. I understand not wanting to buy a new atty as well. That's why I said to wait for them to go on sale. There's always sales! I have tanks that came with my mods and only a few are winners on flavor plus one has a fairly expensive coil to replace.
I've seen those videos on rebuilding those premades and I just wouldn't myself. Too much intricate work for what they are. Plus like you said, what others have commented about. Cotton and wire is so cheap and will last year's on end vs the possibility of burning a coil a day or every week.
I have a friend that just won't build. Think the coil pack is about $20 at her B&M and only lasts maybe 6 weeks. My same $20 could last me years. It's all on the user. However she keeps asking me how I get such good flavor. I keep saying it's in the coils.
Glad you figured out your issue and take it easy on the atty even if excited! Vape mail does that to us! :)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be honest, I wouldn't buy another vape for the sake of being able to rebuild coils easily. I saw that it's possible to rebuild bvc and I will give it a try, I like learning new things.
About the airflow opening... what do you suggest? How should I use them? I currently use the .7 coil with 2 airflow openings.
I've rebuilt some before. It's actually not that hard if you can build small. Just bend the legs both downward. Make sure you get one leg in the rubber grommet and one outside the grommet. Post/neg connection.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So I dripped a few drops of liquid inside the coil and the flavour is back. Also, no burnt taste whatsoever. Is it possible for a coil to dry up inside?
With a small needle you can poke a few holes in the cotton.

Lone_Dawg

Member For 1 Year
Yep, the coils are checked, they're authentic. It's either my chain vaping or just a bad batch.. or both. @Vape Fan why should I poke a few holes for?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep, the coils are checked, they're authentic. It's either my chain vaping or just a bad batch.. or both. @Vape Fan why should I poke a few holes for?

What wattage are you firing them at? The Aspire BVC coils require starting low and working your way up. Not cranking it up to 12W and vaping away. I usually start the 1.8Ω coils at 8.5-9W and slowly increase the wattage.

VU Sponsors