Become a Patron!

Aspire AVP Review – If the Caliburn and Nord had a love-child

Quick Brief

You probably sometimes wonder when you receive vape newsletters to your email from vendors, “what idiot buys a new device every week?” I’m that idiot. I got a product release newsletter from my local vape store advertising the new AVP and because I like shiny things, I bought it for the purposes of a review.

Quick Technical

- Pod style system (Refillable 2ml)

- MTL Vaping

- Auto-draw activation only

- 700 mAh Battery

Quick Review

So I bought this device on a whim (I seem to be saying this in most of my reviews lately). I was actually pleasantly surprised when it showed up, it has a fantastic design and looks badass in black. It’s quite small in size and looks flush and sleek.

It took me a fair bit of time to figure out how to actually fill the pods because it has a spring-loaded fill port which, once I figured out how to use, seemed pretty cool. The device has 3 power settings that range from 8W to 12W depending on your personal preference which is controllable from the button under the Aspire logo.

I don’t care so much for aesthetics although I do tend to mention the design in most reviews. I personally care way more about how it vapes and the experience of the device. That said, the AVP is quite okay. I used it at 12W using a Nic Salt Caramel Tobacco at 20mg for the good part of this review and it was pleasant. It doesn’t quite have the restricted MTL hit of the Caliburn but it’s definitely not as airy as the Nord. It sits somewhere right in the middle.

I saw from Tim’s review that he wished it had a higher wattage output option, somewhere around 15-16W and I completely agree. While the 12W is nice, it isn’t great. It doesn’t have the same hit as the older Spryte (which coincidently is my current workhorse) and I feel like it’s slightly lacking because of that.

Onto the negatives, this thing leaks a fair bit for me. I woke up this morning and noticed the juice had leaked from the pod, into the battery and down through the charging port on the bottom. It wasn’t a lot of juice but it was enough to leave me annoyed. It seems every time I take the pod out to refill it, the entire underside of the pod has pee’d a little juice out.

Pros

- Refillable 2ml pods (magnetized to base battery)

- Spring loaded fillport (but also a negative – see below)

- Sleek design, small and fits in pocket without issue

- Fairly good battery life from the 700mAh design

- Good flavor

- Mouth piece sits comfortably in mouth

Cons

- Leaks from the pod and into the battery

- Spring loaded fill port is great unless you put the wrong juice in, you can’t drain it

- The power output could be higher

- The device won’t stand up on it’s own due to the base design

- Can’t change coils

- MTL is a bit too airy for my liking

-

Conclusion

Personally I love the design of this pod but the vape experience leaves quite a bit to be desired. It’s nowhere near as bad as the MTL on the Nord but it’s not as tight as the Caliburn. It sits right in the middle.

This is a perfect device for anyone who found the Caliburn to be too restricted as it does deliver a decent vape as long as you can accept that there will be a bit of weeping from the pod every now and then.

Quick Score

7/10 (14 or 16W output option would bump this up)

Quick Disclaimer

I bought this device with my own money, it was not provided as a sample and as such I am completely unbiased. I hope that my quick and no nonsense approach will be welcomed in the community and I look forward to any criticisms & feedback on my review.

Want a device/kit to be reviewed? Send me a PM and I’ll do my best to get it for the purposes of a review!

VU Sponsors