Become a Patron!

asMODus Lustro Kodama 200W Stabilized Wood Mod

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Lustro Kodama 200W Stabilized Wood Mod from Asmodus. The Lustro Kodama was supplied for the purpose of this review by Saly from Asmodus.

https://www.asmodus.com/collections/1-of...ama?page=1

Introduction

Asmodus, who brought us the minikin are an affordable high end American Manufacturer. The Lustro Kodama is a 200W dual 18650 device and luxurious stab wood version of the original Lustro 200W device. It operates using a colour touchscreen by a series of swipes and presses which will be familiar to those that have used previous Asmodus touchscreen devices, it also has an IR (infrared) sensor that allows for a hands free method of control . It features a full TC suite and both TCR and TFR options as well as curves and plenty of customisation features. The device has a build quality in my opinion well above it's price tag despite it not being a cheap device and again in my opinion is gorgeous looking. Coming in the nicest packaging i have witnessed with a vaping product it's well worth a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1x Asmodus Lustro Komada Vape Mod
1x Micro USB Charging Cable
1x User Manual
1x Warranty Card
1x Battery Safety Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Lustro Kodama comes in an aesthetically pleasing wooden presentation box with sliding lid with a little sticker to show metal colour and to give some idea of what is the dominant colour of the stab wood finish although every device is unique. The device is made from a solid block of hybrid stab wood with resin (gives unique colour-age) with a single metal all in one face plate and battery door. The device is a weird shape as it's not symmetrical which can be easily seen when looking at either the top or base of device, i don't know if this is done for some ergonomic reason but it seams to have that result as for a bulky dual battery device it feels great in the hand. The device is very rounded with nice curved edges and is nearly as broad as it is wide but not tall being just slightly shorter than the average size for a dual battery device. The face has a metal plate which on mine is Gun Metal but it also comes in Brass or Copper. Down one side of the plate we have "ASMODUS" carved into the metal, down the other side is a translucent strip for LED lighting. Top central of the face plate we have the familiar indented round fire button with etched Asmodus logo, bottom is a Type C USB port and finally positioned centrally on the face plate is the colour touchscreen. The base is an extension of the metal plate and a latch style battery door, we also have a flashlight which could at some time come in handy. Moving to the top we have a Lemon shaped 510 plate in metal colour to suit the face plate (on mine it's a very dark Gun Metal). The Lemon shape rather than round serves a purpose as it means it can't come loose as it's shape locks it in a position where it's not possible to spin, the 510 is spring loaded. The build quality of the device is the best i have come across to date and while the Lustro Kodama isn't a cheap i have seen many stab wood devices that are inferior in build quality being sold for twice it's price and upwards.

Lustro Kodama Specs and Features:

Product Specifications:

Powered by the GX-200-HUTC Chip
Wattage range (Power mode): 5W - 200W
Wattage range (TC modes): 5W - 120W
Temperature control range: 212° - 572°F / 100° - 300°
Atomizer ohm range: 0.1 - 2.5 ohm
Touch screen type: Capacitve Screen; Requires the electrical properties of the human body to detect when and where the screen is touched
Max output voltage: 7.5V
Peek output current: 45A
Charging parameters: DC 5V/1A
Requires 2x 18650 sized batteries (not included)
Upgradeable firmware
USB TYPE-C

Product Dimensions:

Length: 80.4mm
Width: 40.5mm
Thickness: 36.0mm

Colour: Metal choice of Gun Metal, Copper or Brass. Stabilised Wood finishes all unique.

Fitting The Batteries

The Lustro Kodama accommodates dual 18650 batteries which are fitted via the bottom hatch door. The hatch door is faultless and part of the same metal section that makes up the face plate. To open just slide the door back and lift up, when fixing back in place just push down and slide the catch back to secure. The door is solid and robust, it is certainly made to last, when in position it is very secure and there is no battery rattle whatsoever. Another pro with the battery door is clearly marked orientation being Black on Gun Metal, a great job!

The Display

The Lustro Kodama has a colour screen which is sharp, bright and very well laid out and i had no issues at all reading the display outdoors. At the top we have the mode then underneath the mode we have 2 battery status bars (1 for each battery) the status is also given as a percentage above each bar. Below the battery status bars we have the wattage that displays temperature instead when in temp control. Further down to the left we have the volts then under this seconds vaped, to the right we have the resistance then underneath the resistance is your puffs. Finally at the bottom of the display to the left is the preheat or temperature control wire type, then the IR (infrared) sensor icon which by default has a line through it to show it has not been activated and to the right a padlock which indicates if the touchscreen is locked or unlocked.

Navigating The Lustro Kodama

Those that have used Asmodus touchscreen mods in the past will be familiar with how the device operates but if not it does take some getting use to. Some people just won't get on with touchscreen devices while others like me like them and once a bit of time is invested in how everything works i find Asmodus mods are amongst my favourites to use and navigate.
The device is 5 clicks to turn on but to turn off needs to be done in the settings. With the device first switched on the touchscreen is locked (when it's locked you can still vape) and to unlock simply swipe downwards and it stays unlocked until the fire button is pressed which re-locks it. With the screen unlocked swiping up or down changes your pre-heats between Normal, Soft or hard and swiping side-wards where the mode is displayed scrolls through the various modes which are Power, TFR, TCR, Curve and Temp.
When it displays temp long pressing "TEMP" brings up where you change between the various wire types and pressing the displayed temperature changes to wattage and then another press displays temperature again, a long press when the temperature is displayed allows you to adjust the temperature and when you change it to wattage displayed long pressing allows you to set wattage for temp control (you can only set wattage up to 120W for temp control). Going back to Power mode and again long pressing the wattage allows you to adjust the wattage which adjust in 0.1w increments up to 10W and then switches to 1W increments all the way up to 200W.
There are plenty of other features that are accessed by 5 clicks of the fire button which brings up your first icon which is the power icon, long pressing the power icon powers the device down. When the power icon is displayed side swiping scrolls through the various icons which need pressing if you want to select the feature. Amongst the features are changing the display colour, adjusting brightness, changing how the touchscreen locks and unlocks, resetting and limiting puffs, adjusting screen timeout, setting colour and speed of LED lighting (or setting to off) and many others. Finally 3 clicks of the fire button locks the whole device so it will not fire.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

IR (infrared) Sensor and Flashlight Features

I have already mentioned to unlock the touchscreen you need to swipe downwards but instead when the screen is locked if you swipe upwards you bring up a screen that allows you to activate using the IR Sensor (hands free) for navigation or on this screen you can also choose the flashlight feature.
If you select the flashlight it allows you to choose between two levels of brightness, i would describe level 1 as the same brightness you get from a smartphone flashlight with level 2 being even brighter. I have had a couple of devices in the past which include a flashlight which can come in very useful but on previous devices i have used the light has been on the back of the device where it can clearly be seen, on the Lustro Kodama it's nicely hidden between the hinges of the battery hatch on the base of the device.

When you activate the IR Sensor the line disappears that went through the hands free icon and now slow deliberate movements with the finger in front of the screen can change modes and a swiping moving downwards with the finger alters the pre-heat and once you get use to the distance you need your finger to be away from the screen and the correct speed of movement it works very well but not really a hands free operation as only mode and pre-heats can be altered and anything else you still need to touch or physically swipe the screen.
As you can only operate certain things on the device using the IR sensor it is a gimmick and i can't see people under normal circumstances actually using the device with this feature activated but in times of boredom it's something else to have a play with. Their will be those that say just get rid of it as it's not needed but i hear that about a lot of things around vaping and just don't understand the mentality. The fact is not having the IR feature isn't going to improve the device and it needs activating to use so if someone doesn't like it just don't activate it, it's doing no harm being on the device for those that want to give it a try.

My Experience Using The Lustro Kodama

First i need to state i do not vape using temp control and have no access to data but simply review devices as i personally experience them. I am really digging the Lustro Kodama, it's a gorgeous looking device with the performance to match, i just can't find anything that i don't like about it.
The feel in the hand and looks for me is what i want of a device which i have only said once before and that was also an Asmodus device. Despite the fire button sitting flush it is concaved so i had no problems finding it and the device fires with no delay and instant ramp up. The Lustro Kodama feels equally ergonomic using either thumb or finger to fire using either hand.
I have had the Lustro Kodama for a while using it a lot while also testing other products so if you read my reviews often you have probably seen it pictured in some atty reviews i have done. I have tried in the region of 10 different atty's of varying kinds and have clocked the puff counter which only goes up to 999 a few times. I have tried it as low as 12W right up to 140W (not enjoyable, how can people really enjoy vaping at this sort of wattage or higher? Probably the same people who would have the hottest curry available claiming they were really enjoying it while the sweat is running off them, lips melting, drinking 10 gallons of water and looking ill). All wattage's i vaped at seemed very accurate and when using side by side with a couple of my DNA devices i experienced no difference between them in performance for how i vape.
I like the response of the touchscreen although touchscreen devices aren't everyone's cup of tea and using the IR sensor is fun for a while but must admit the novelty wears off. I am an ex-smoker who was addicted not just to the nicotine but also the whole ritual of having something to do with the hands so i like feature packed devices that have customisation so i can have a play when i get fidgety and the Lustro Kodama has loads of features and customisation to tick the relieve boredom box.
The Lustro Kodama will accommodate up to a 26mm atty with no overhang which means most atty's look good but with all that real estate up top i feel it's a con that the 510 isn't centre mounted which would of allowed the accommodation of atty's which are over 30mm. The Lustro Kodama has a Type C USB port which is a pro and it supports 1A charging (personally i never advise charging in the device) it's also fully firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

As i mentioned i don't vape using temp control or have access to data and i really wouldn't have a clue how the Lustro Kodama performs using temperature control i'm more interested in how the device performs and meets my needs. When i personally judge how good a device is i base it on 5 things which are if the device meets my needs and performs as i would like, the enjoyment i get form using the device, how the device feels in the hand, build quality and whether i personally find the device aesthetically pleasing. Based on that method of judging, the Lustro Kodama is the best device i have used and no doubt if you read my reviews often you will see it pictured in many future atty reviews.

Excellent build quality
Aesthetically pleasing stab wood device
Every device unique
Great packaging
Feels great in the hand
Sharp, bright colour display
Customisation (colour of display, how the touchscreen locks, puff limit, LED strip etc)
Curves (works very well)
Temp Control (+TCR & TFR) Not tested
Pre-heats
Swipe and press operated touchscreen
IR Sensor (hands free feature) even if a bit of a gimmick
Flashlight (with 2 levels of brightness)
Nice fire button, easy to find
Fires instantly with instant ramp up
While using performed faultlessly
Battery door faultless, solid and robust with clearly marked orientation
0.1 Increments up to 10W then switches to 1W Increments
Very good battery life (The GX-200-HUTC performs efficiently)
Battery status: status of each individual battery given with both a bar icon and as a percentage
Firmware Upgradeable

Cons

510 not centred (if it was the device would be able to accommodate very large atty's)
Can only adjust wattage up to 120W in temp control (not sure how much of a con this is for temp control users)
If buying for the IR feature the device can't be fully operated using this
If not familiar with Asmodus touchscreen devices takes some time invested
It's not cheap (But compared to other stab wood devices of this build quality the price is favourable)

I would once again like to thank Saly from Asmodus for supplying the Lustro Kodama 200W Stabilized Wood Mod for the purpose of this review.

https://www.asmodus.com/collections/1-of...ama?page=1

VU Sponsors