Become a Patron!

Are Mechs a thing of the past?

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
So I see VJ posted some thoughts regarding the already late DNA 40 chipset coming out soon. I had to chuckle because that's the first thing I thought of when I heard they were releasing a 40watt chip.....too little too late. And then to add a gimmick like "temp control" made it even more of a joke.

Anyway, are mechanical mods going bye bye for good?

I still love my mechs! I like the fact that they are simple, basic devices that are subject to some computer chip to make them work. I like the fact that with my mech mods I can, and have been able too, vape at 100+ watts long before any regulated box mod came along.

I don't hate the box mods..but I do hate the idea of mechanicals becoming a thing of the past. What about you?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I rather think the mechs are here to stay.

The regulated mods are great things indeed. But by nature rather plain (at the moment anyway) unless you add a Jwrap or somthing else to them.

The mechs have always been an open canvas for engraving and embellishment and some qualify as real works of art.

IMHO, they are here to stay.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think they are losing ground Someday it will be hard to sell An Authentic USA made Mech to very many people unless its superb quality and under $125.00

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I think that the latest round of copper mechs are keeping things alive. They have brilliant conductivity, and with a hybrid adaptor like the 4nine and 29mod, they just RIP. Add to that an atomiser with a copper centre pin, and you are really hard pressed to be unsatisfied. I have a couple dripper/coil build/juice combos that just NEED 75+ watts to really scream....but I certainly would not vape a Genesis at those numbers.
*Edit* Add the Stingray X to that list.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The same can be said of automatics vs. manual transmissions - semi-auto handguns and rifles vs. revolvers and bolt guns (or even bow & arrow and Bowie knife) - digital music vs. phonograph recordings - microfiber and Gore-Tex vs. waxed cotton, wool and animal hide... I can go on and on.

Although we have all the former... the latter still works, and in many cases, thrives. People who live in the past... or people who appreciate and even revel in the knowledge and skill required... to obtain the best from what is most basic? Perhaps a bit of both.

Greater knowledge of a thing can often provide one with a greater appreciation of a thing... even an old thing.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
joe quoted someone on this and i think it fits perfectly "mechs/rdas are the stick shift of vaping" and stick shifts arent going anywhere (i think he just said it about rdas but applies to mechs as well imo). i dont like mechs as much as some but thats just my speed, really only used as a backup

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
I didn't even think about mechanicals from the aesthetic point of view. That was a really good point to be made.it's kind of gotten to the point where I buy mechanicals based more on the looks than anything else. There are so many out there and they are so similar in functionality that their appearance is what draws me to some more than others.

The stick shift of vaping, I like that. :)

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
mech's have their place...
as a backup, for when my regulated mod decides to take a dump...:D

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would think a mech is more of an automatic and a box mod being stick. Which one lets you control what's going on like a manual transmission as you use it?

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mechs are certainly a thing of the past. Also the present. Likely the future.

Transmissions notwithstanding, an engine analogy clearly applies: power per cubic inches. I'm imagining @Donald Bickers' hard-to-beat Kayfun Lite on a 4Nine. An 18350 in that tiny 4Nine, a mod hardly bigger than the battery itself, produces power per cubic inches greater than any regulated mod. And what else with that power will fit entirely in the palm of your hand?

I say likely the future because while increasing power density in battery tech will shrink the size of regulated mods, mechs will scale even better, because the battery makes up a higher percentage of the overall size.

As to aesthetics, I'm with the rest of you latter day Bauhausers who see beauty in simplicity and efficiency.

Last edited:

derichio02

Member For 4 Years
I feel the same. I have regulated devices and mechs alike. Recently my Axis died and that's $280 down the drain. On the other hand mechs don't really die with proper care. That $200 mech will be kicking through X number of regulated devices. I love them both and don't see that changing.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sold all of my regulated devices. I admit, on paper, the specs will definitely show that a provari or DNA vapes better than something unregulated, but personally, I don't find it to be true at all.

As TheWestPole mentioned, one of my personal favorite setups is a KFL+ w/ nano kit on my 4Nine in 18350 mode.
2a9qgsw.jpg

I think form factor plays a big role too, and for me, smaller and simple is more. I did like the Vaporshark a lot, but always went for the 4Nine first.

26380vr.jpg

aait7l.jpg

Mechs a thing of the past? I think State O' Flux pretty much countered that notion in the best way possible ;)

D

Donald Bickers

Sold all of my regulated devices. I admit, on paper, the specs will definitely show that a provari or DNA vapes better than something unregulated, but personally, I don't find it to be true at all.

As TheWestPole mentioned, one of my personal favorite setups is a KFL+ w/ nano kit on my 4Nine in 18350 mode.
2a9qgsw.jpg

I think form factor plays a big role too, and for me, smaller and simple is more. I did like the Vaporshark a lot, but always went for the 4Nine first.

26380vr.jpg

aait7l.jpg

Mechs a thing of the past? I think State O' Flux pretty much countered that notion in the best way possible ;)
5etSxTF.jpg
agreed

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I did a white vinegar cleaning followed by ammonia/sea salt (VERY SALTY)....then after 30 minutes of just ammona.....switched to ammonia sprinkled with pink Himalayan salt (lightly....very lightly on the salt)...2 hour reapplications for 8 hours....three hours drying, then rinse.

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm I'm gonna keep that in mind. I retired my 4nine clone, so I'm gonna give it a patina and a clear wrap for its service haha.

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nothing cleaner than a mech..
ab5753fcd2e1882759bc5e56b709b276.jpg

But I love my regulated mods too.. some tube mods are coming soon;).

Again...someone make a kick. I'm not a 24/7 high wattage vapor, but a 30-40 Watt kick..that should be do-able.. I'd rather have batteries in my pocket, than something large in my hand most of the time.

What are these regulated mods of which you speak?

Honestly, I bought a couple of them when I first started building, to gain a better understanding of what my builds would do. I figured out how the allotted power would affect the flavor and vapor production. Now, I look at them and SMFH.

As a coil builder, I prefer to design and build based on my preference. As an artisan and perfectionist, I prefer to design and build to suit my needs, rather than to press a button to hide glaring issues with my build. If I can't do it best on my own, then I should just grab a protank.

IMO the guys and gals who are hard core, use simple tubes and build greatness atop them. The regulated crowd build something, then modify their power settings to compensate for their shortcomings.

No offense, I have several friends who use and prefer regulateds... but I take pride in my builds, and the simple beauty that only a conductive tube has to offer.

BabyFartsMcGeezax

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Edit this "guy"use to live next to me -
9a74ab14784ac886d43287394c198998.jpg

651ad1e832f1471ac522bc2fcb41fce6.jpg

You have to build in series to do vertical quads with this atty
4dc716cb091cc37db640159ee9dcf6fd.jpg

5483a6a40be0647a4a1adb5eeb51722c.jpg

You need to understand joules, bud...

I get shit for this from mech users..but certain joules with certain airflow... works better than if it was backed away like I would build on a mech.
84d739ddd58ae8743ca1759ece5fcda3.jpg

ae66a81af708187c963465278271b737.jpg

Last edited:
Again, I don't need to compensate a weak build by pressing a button to alter my build.

It is akin to taking a poorly designed stereo and making it sound good with a lot of processing. I build my speakers and analog crossovers to sound how I want them, I will not manipulate them digitally with an EQ or heavily processed pre-amp. Does the processed signal sound good? Sure, but it still doesn't sound, and it isn't, the same.

D

Donald Bickers

I thought this thread was about mechanical mods,not how good people can build or not build coils.Just my opinion.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Honestly, I bought a couple of them when I first started building, to gain a better understanding of what my builds would do. I figured out how the allotted power would affect the flavor and vapor production. Now, I look at them and SMFH.

As a coil builder, I prefer to design and build based on my preference. As an artisan and perfectionist, I prefer to design and build to suit my needs, rather than to press a button to hide glaring issues with my build. If I can't do it best on my own, then I should just grab a protank.

IMO the guys and gals who are hard core, use simple tubes and build greatness atop them. The regulated crowd build something, then modify their power settings to compensate for their shortcomings.

No offense, I have several friends who use and prefer regulateds... but I take pride in my builds, and the simple beauty that only a conductive tube has to offer.
Again, I don't need to compensate a weak build by pressing a button to alter my build.

It is akin to taking a poorly designed stereo and making it sound good with a lot of processing. I build my speakers and analog crossovers to sound how I want them, I will not manipulate them digitally with an EQ or heavily processed pre-amp. Does the processed signal sound good? Sure, but it still doesn't sound, and it isn't, the same.

WOW..just WOW..
guess i dont deserve to vape; so i'll just slink back into my cave and start smoking again (filterless pall mall)..
or am i doing that wrong also:confused::eek::rolleyes::)

D

Donald Bickers

I think the pushing the unlike button would be appropriate!!!!!

Muertala

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion I think mech mods are definitely here to stay, I say that just because there are no circuits that can go out on you and make it unuseable, plus with no circuits your builds will get the exact amount of power they need since no circuits means going strictly by ohms law and everything works out automatically and the only thing you have to worry about is what type of battery you are using

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the pushing the unlike button would be appropriate!!!!!
naw...tons of mechs are beautiful devices...
that magnetic bottom switch was genius...
sure would like to see a mech with a side magnetic switch...
just prefer to use a regulated device so i dont have to carry a dozen batteries ...
someone comes along with a different view than i have, they're not wrong, we just dont see eye to eye...
rip into my coil management, i giggle a bit...simple modified micro coil works for me...others like what they like...
his posts kinda butt hurt me for a sec, and i pee'd a bit, but i had a vape on my shitty coil, with my shitty regulated mod at my sissy 20 watts...
i'm good:D

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I have NO idea what ANY of that means. I've been building for years, and whilst I do love my mechs...I also appreciate treating my lovely builds to a level of SHEER ABUSE that only 75+watts can deliver. And having competed in more than my share of cloud comps...it is very easy to understand WHY regulated high wattage boxes are banned. I adore my siggy 100w....but also love my hybrid topped mechs. On the first of the month, I shall be adding more.....as in a Fire Pipes box, copper SMPL, and a copper Fortune. One of the benefits of being 49 is I dont feel any need to be approved by a fanboy or be deemed as "hardcore"...but that is maturity speaking. Have a nice vape!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

wzCap7T.gif

I'll put my "weak builds" up against yours any day pumpkin!

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So I see VJ posted some thoughts regarding the already late DNA 40 chipset coming out soon. I had to chuckle because that's the first thing I thought of when I heard they were releasing a 40watt chip.....too little too late. And then to add a gimmick like "temp control" made it even more of a joke.

Anyway, are mechanical mods going bye bye for good?

I still love my mechs! I like the fact that they are simple, basic devices that are subject to some computer chip to make them work. I like the fact that with my mech mods I can, and have been able too, vape at 100+ watts long before any regulated box mod came along.

I don't hate the box mods..but I do hate the idea of mechanicals becoming a thing of the past. What about you?

As the owner of over 25 mechanical mods, I do think that mechs are "becoming" a thing of the past however, I believe that it will be a temporary shift. Just as for a time there became an overwhelming disinterest in regulated devices, and mechanical mods temporary took hold of the market. Its just the ebb and flow of things, and it quite necessary in order to keep pushing innovation and creativity forward.

I have recently chatted with a few vapers who like myself, have lost interest in mechanical mods, at least for the moment. Right now I am more interested in regulated devices. Having used mechs exclusively for the last year, I can appreciate the difference in the vape that I get from a regulated device. I am sure that within 6-8 months time we will see the new and more innovative offerings in mechanical mod design, and the market will once again sway in that direction.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years

2a9qgsw.jpg

26380vr.jpg

aait7l.jpg

Wow Kken, I love the crisp, clean clarity of your photos .. and that Kay/4nine set up is just pure sexy my friend!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As the owner of over 25 mechanical mods, I do think that mechs are "becoming" a thing of the past however, I believe that it will be a temporary shift. Just as for a time there became an overwhelming disinterest in regulated devices, and mechanical mods temporary took hold of the market. Its just the ebb and flow of things, and it quite necessary in order to keep pushing innovation and creativity forward.

I have recently chatted with a few vapers who like myself, have lost interest in mechanical mods, at least for the moment. Right now I am more interested in regulated devices. Having used mechs exclusively for the last year, I can appreciate the difference in the vape that I get from a regulated device. I am sure that within 6-8 months time we will see the new and more innovative offerings in mechanical mod design, and the market will once again sway in that direction.
I love my mechs, but then again I have a few drippers set up for super sub-ohm vaping. That said, I also love my Siggy 100w. I had the experience today of vaping on an authentic SquapeR mounted on a Hana 40w. Whilst I cannae say that I would own one, I think it is ideal kit for a relatively new vaper what wants to explore building and vaping in an unquestionably SAFE way. I did notice that the device liked to switch from Wattage to Temperature in a random and undesired way. Again, I would not own one, but I can see it as a value added part of some people's arsenal of devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I love my mechs, but then again I have a few droppers aw up for super subohm vaping. That said, I also love my Siggy 100w. I had the experience today of vaping on a authentic SquapeR mounted on a Hana 40. Whilst I cannae say that I would own one, I think it is ideal kit for a relatively new vaper that wants to explore building and vaping in an unquestionably SAFE way. I did notice that the device liked to switch from Wattage to Temperature on a random and undesired way. Again, I would not own one, but I can see it as a value added part of some people's arsenal of devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recent switch to regulated devices was so unexpected .. I was a die hard "mechie" , and really didn't forsee that my tastes and preferences would change. Once upon a time I was so anti-box mod, that is until I was asked to review one .. I suddenly got it.

Tell me more about your 100W Sigelei? I am expecting a Cloupor T6 to soon ship out, and while I doubt that I will ever find myself vaping over 25W, I must say that I am none the less intrigued by these high wattage box mods. Have you tried to vape at 100W?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
My recent switch to regulated devices was so unexpected .. I was a die hard "mechie" , and really didn't forsee that my tastes and preferences would change. Once upon a time I was so anti-box mod, that is until I was asked to review one .. I suddenly got it.

Tell me more about your 100W Sigelei? I am expecting a Cloupor T6 to soon ship out, and while I doubt that I will ever find myself vaping over 25W, I must say that I am none the less intrigued by these high wattage box mods. Have you tried to vape at 100W?
My favourite setting for Merkury "Cartoons" is .5ohm@100w. It really kicks the cinnamon into overdrive. That right there is why I love this box...it really lets you fully explore the flavour profile range of juices. I find my normal setting is [email protected] love a warm to hot vape...mainly because of my fondness for bakery and dessert juices. My gennies dont like that level of abuse, so I get the most out of them on a mech with a .7ohm build.

VU Sponsors