Become a Patron!

Are Atlantis coils dangerous to your health? One vaper thinks so!

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You'll have to help me out on that; a little above my head. But, if I read it correctly were they not referring to kanthal D? Would the temps be much different with kanthal A1? Also, I can't say that I have any builds around with hot leads. I try not to do that;)

Good question. The color temp varies with chem comp. I think the chart's representative tho. The var pro'ly not that significant given the scale shown. That said, we hit those high end colors. In a variety of abnormal circumstances in operation, not just pulsing.

That's the doorway for regulatory shutdown of our vape IMO. Where things are headed and being taken.

Me, I'm trying to teach new vapers coil efficiency. Those personally familiar know how to beat the temp trap.

Good luck muth.

Happy Holidays.

:)

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good question. The color temp varies with chem comp. I think the chart's representative tho. The var pro'ly not that significant given the scale shown. That said, we hit those high end colors. In a variety of abnormal circumstances in operation, not just pulsing.

That's the doorway for regulatory shutdown of our vape IMO. Where things are headed and being taken.

Me, I'm trying to teach new vapers coil efficiency. Those personally familiar know how to beat the temp trap.

Good luck muth.

Happy Holidays.

Happy New Year to you, MacTech:)

PaulieD

Member For 5 Years
We have now clue what you're referring to Paulie whether Atlantis coils, heater wire temperature or disclosure…but Happy New Year!

Good luck all.

If you read it you would know....Otherwise no real need to comment on something you didn't read? "We" means you...not everyone.
It was about the filler material of the Atlantis coils and the controversy surrounding its composition.

Happy New Year to you also.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"We" meant readers in the context I wrote it.
"This" was on topic and thanks for tip.
"Happy New Year" is crystal and appreciated.

:D

Good luck.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are Atlantis coils dangerous to your health? One vaper thinks so!

Derek Small: With the amount of air we are pulling through this small opening and the fact that this glass is much smaller in diameter than a human hair yes that is what I am saying. The first photo is 50x mag this glass is very very fine and could come dislodged even wet. And of course that potential increases as the coil ages and even more if you would get a dry hit.

Derek Small: Listen guys I have three of these tanks my self and love them. Of course now I am wicking mine with cotton. The reason I looked into this is because I was having some throat problems at first I said o well it is cold season. Then one day I left the Atlantis at home and took my dripper same juice the throat problem left up

First two pics Atlantis wick, last two cotton
View attachment 10344 View attachment 10345 View attachment 10346 View attachment 10347
Derek Thank You for the very helpful information! ! ! Since reading your post I have started rebuilding my Atlantis coils with Japanese Cotton and A-1 Kanthal ! They are very easy to rebuild and wicking is superior to the original material ! Again THANKS !!!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just put this reply on his FB thread as well, figured I'd copy/paste my assessment here as well...

Derek,

First of all, let me say that I APPRECIATE your dedication to finding a safe material for vapers, and at least going a little beyond general, uneducated statements of "well gee, dat chit is bad fer ya"... In short.. I appreciate that you have actually made an effort to put some science behind your statements and for taking the time to actually show your findings... My hat is off to you for making the effort.

There are some things that I would like to correct though, just to further the clarification of what your findings are, because unfortunately I feel that you were wrong in *some* of your assessments.

First, you stated in the video that "What your left with is these two squares of ceramic material" ... but then later in the thread go on to talk about the material as Silica. On this Atlantis coil, after examining the fibers and seeing the characteristics my assessment would be that this is actually a "high temp silica" product and NOT a ceramic based product.

As I understand from your own statements that you are familiar with silica, I would assume that you know there is a BIG difference between silica and ceramic, so I will guess that it was perhaps just a mistake of wording.

I don't like these wick pads that are in this device. To me, it looks like they are a blend of high temp silica along with a cotton blend. I would imagine they are using the cotton to bind the silica shards and for absorption purposes and using the silica to handle the heat. But, you're right in your assessment that once the cotton burns off, what do you have left? You have loose silica shards that could potentially be inhaled, in my assessment, this would not be good.

Another thing that you had said is that "silica has much bigger fibers" - I think you might have been confused or perhaps accidently got the two materials twisted around by accident. Silica shards measure between .5 and 3 microns in size and primary material is glass, whereas Ceramic fibers are measured on average between 7-13 microns in size (in the xc product which we properly treat and call "READYxWICK". A quick math on this would show that Ceramic particles are actually between 3 and 20 times LARGER than silica shards, not the other way around.

Since you work in an industry related to silica, I'm sure you are aware of why these #'s are important. In general, the scientific community feels that anything UNDER 5 microns in size is considered to be a "health risk" because they are small enough to penetrate flesh and soft tissue just by contact. So silica which comes in between .5 and 3 microns in size are ALL under that 5 micron size threshold which has been determined, hence making high temp or regular silica somewhat of a health risk. (I say somewhat loosely, in my opinion I would say highly, but I'm being conservative). This is what makes a product such as "READYxWICK" so nice. Its particle sizes are between 7-13 microns, most of which are between 10-12, which is more than DOUBLE the size threshold of concern.

Also, you hit on an important key element of WHY we properly treat our material (READYxWICK) before we ever ship any out. Our treatment process includes heating this material in high end precise digitally controlled kilns at temperatures reaching nearly 2,000 degrees in a heat treatment process that lasts over 24 hours. This process burns off any of those "organic" compounds, chems, and elements which could otherwise be inhaled into your lungs during a vape, leaving ONLY material which is bonded together and can handle the heat without breakdown.

That brings up another point I'd like to address from your video and your posts that I would like you to consider...

Just because there are particles left over after a "burn off" does not mean that you are inhaling them. In the case of THIS wick that is inside the Atlantis, I WOULD agree with your assessment of it not being good because of the chance of inhaling the particles, because the material that they are using to bond them together is cotton. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem smart... why would you bond a high temp resistant material in shards with a material that will burn away after a few harsh dry hits...?

My GUESS would be, because they are smart enough to know that once that happens, and the head breaks down, the user will need to replace it, creating additional sales and NOT giving a crap about the vapers health. This part, drives me NUTS.

I will also say, that I DON'T like the idea of sucking into my lungs the byproducts of burnt off cotton. I understand what your argument about them being "organic" but the fact is, organic or not, we were not meant to suck down fumes of burnt off cotton into our lungs on a daily basis, but this rarely gets press because cotton is such a standard in vaping. That said, cotton is a Million times better than Silica, but in my opinion, cotton vs a product such as READYxWICK which is made of Ceramic compounds, there is no question that readyxwick is more safe. Cotton burns out within 1-14 days whereas there have been man records of a SINGLE wick of READYxWICK has lasted in daily vaping devices for over a YEAR... why is this important? Simple, it means that the material ISN'T breaking down at anywhere near the rate of other materials such as cotton or silica. (if it were, there wouldn't be anything left at all of it anywhere even close to a year).

As far as the Atlantis coils, I believe them to be "high temp silica" blended with cotton. As you may know with your work with silica, high temp silica is actual the "alternative" to its more durable brother "ceramic" material. Silica is made of glass, ceramic is made of ceramic. High temp silica CAN be exported outside of the USA, whereas ceramic XC based material can NOT be, which again goes to the assessment of this material actually being silica and NOT ceramic.

Like I said in the beginning though, I DO appreciate your efforts to put more science behind your claims and will ALWAYS support those who attempt to do so. I would love to work with you in regards to these assessments and would be happy to donate my time to helping your research.

Thank you for taking the time to do these tests and for caring enough to go beyond empty claims and actually trying to back up your findings with science, but please be careful to make sure that your findings are accurate before fully referring to them as scientific assessments (which I know you haven't done yet).

Good work on this, thank you for bringing this important topic to light!
What does this say about the other Aspire coils that they claim to contain ceramic - the BVC coils?

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use rayon as well, and it's great. One of the things I remember about my first Kayfun build was not just the improved flavor and nicotine delivery, but the cleanliness of the taste compared to manufactured heads. It's inevitable that, just as with attys and mods, some machine oil residue is left behind, and we are vaping that briefly.

I just got two aerotank giants on the cheap to have some fill and vapes for when I'm lazy, and though improved over my Evods, they are just nowhere near what I'm used to at this point. Well made and beautiful, but they might be finding a new home. They really are damn good looking solid tanks, I'm gonna try rebuilding em before I give in.

While it's true we don't know what any of this stuff is truly doing to us, when armed with info that is negative, we should listen. I know that what I've read and heard is enough to keep me from buying an Atlantis. I'd go with a Subtank, probably would've anyway. I do acknowledge, again, that what I use could have harmful effects, too. I certainly vape diacetyl based on some of my favorite flavors.
I have an aerotank mega and I agree with how you said they are made - well. I've been using the .8 coils and thinking I'd give them a rebuild too just for the heck of it. And to my knowledge kanger uses silica in those coils. Unless you know differently.

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey Tom, very interesting. Thx. Are you a vendor? The Tom mentioned? And have you personally seen one of these?

Sorry for the 20 ???

Good luck.

Nope, not a vendor, I just found the video, I'm not mentioned in it. I have not seen these new tanks, except for the video. All this new information has frozen up my new purchase…but I really like the look of that rebuildable head.I will be waiting to see how the new set of reviews come in

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What does this say about the other Aspire coils that they claim to contain ceramic - the BVC coils?
I have successfully rebuilt the Nautilus BVC coils due to the smaller size compared to Atlantis sub Ohm they are much harder but it can be done .I think in due time Aspire will address the issue if anyones health is at risk . I keep at least a 5 pack of replacements for all my Aspire tanks however in a pinch now I know that I can rebuild the two mentioned above ! I like Aspire products very much , I also like my Silo tank as well . Happy Vaping !!!

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have successfully rebuilt the Nautilus BVC coils due to the smaller size compared to Atlantis sub Ohm they are much harder but it can be done .I think in due time Aspire will address the issue if anyones health is at risk . I keep at least a 5 pack of replacements for all my Aspire tanks however in a pinch now I know that I can rebuild the two mentioned above ! I like Aspire products very much , I also like my Silo tank as well . Happy Vaping !!!
I love my Silo! I've got the 5ml and the mini 3.5ml. As for rebuilding the BVC......yeah, I know it can be done but I'd rather build on a bigger platform.......easier! The whole point of these tanks is to be able to fill n go. That's what they're made for. All the more power to you if you like to rebuild them but, personally, I don't have the patience or eyesight:D

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my Silo! I've got the 5ml and the mini 3.5ml. As for rebuilding the BVC......yeah, I know it can be done but I'd rather build on a bigger platform.......easier! The whole point of these tanks is to be able to fill n go. That's what they're made for. All the more power to you if you like to rebuild them but, personally, I don't have the patience or eyesight:D
I think my Silo came from Beyond Vape , I have the 5ml. only .On the subject of wicking Materials until I tried Japanese cotton ' I used Cellucotton I also use( Hemp and Ramie fiber not so much ), the Ramie doesn't work well in Drippers ! My Favorites are Cellucotton and Japanese cotton then Organic cotton . The Japanese cotton wicks faster than Cellucotton . However after one weeks use the Cellucotton is the cleanest ! It's a trade off, to each his or her own !!! Happy Healthy Vaping Always .

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone have throat issues since using these coils?
Not me.. I've been vaping the stock Atlantis coils everyday for the past month..no throat issues, no cough or hacking either..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too haven't had any issues with my Atlantis or Nautilus coils . Good to see positive post/feedback !

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too haven't had any issues with my Atlantis or Nautilus coils . Good to see positive post/feedback !
I think people worry too much sometimes.. Like using copper drip tips for instance or chrome plated brass..lol
I think these Atlantis coils are safe as I have asthma and I don't cough or hack using them..in fact I like the the Atlantis so much I just bought another one for backup...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had any issues with the Atlantis or Nautilus coils, as long as you prime them well before using. Viva Aspire!

nope, not me.
I have been using 2 of the Atlantis tanks with the stock coils and have not yet had any throat problems. I use one with the Aspire CF SUBOhm mod and another one with the Sigelei Mini at 30 watts. I'm not sure what to think about this problem with the "ceramic" wicking material. It remains to be seen as the time goes by as to what is causing the throat irritation in some people.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started having scratchy throat with the stock.coils , Solution Re-build with cellucotton and A-1 Kanthal , No more problem ,I also re-built 1 with Japanese cotton ,IMO cellucotton trumps japanese cotton ! It's crazy to buy a tank that supposed to be user friendly and then have to re-build so you can eliminate health issues . Aspire will see a drop in sales because they have yet to correct the health issues ! I say save your old coils in case they re-design them making it difficult to re-wick and re-wire the original re-placement coils ! Just my take on the subject ! Vape on safely & healthy !!!

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had no probs with the stock coils. Maybe there are other factors you haven't considered? Juice choice perhaps?

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well Aspire has seen the light and now offer Atlantis sub Ohm coils with organic cotton ! Right on time ! At least now you have options !

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Where did you find these new coils? They are not listed on the Aspire website.Thanks.

wildwildwest

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think my Silo came from Beyond Vape , I have the 5ml. only .On the subject of wicking Materials until I tried Japanese cotton ' I used Cellucotton I also use( Hemp and Ramie fiber not so much ), the Ramie doesn't work well in Drippers ! My Favorites are Cellucotton and Japanese cotton then Organic cotton . The Japanese cotton wicks faster than Cellucotton . However after one weeks use the Cellucotton is the cleanest ! It's a trade off, to each his or her own !!! Happy Healthy Vaping Always .

I understand Rayon has a higher "ignition" temp and is way more absorbent than cotton.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Checking your mail can also be risky ! LOL !!! All jokes to the side , Atlantis coils re-wicked with cellucotton is my prefered method ! This is by far the best I've tried by a long shot I personally don't care for the Japanese cotton ! It does burn easier than cellucotton ! It also gets dirty quicker than cellucotton ! Vape on Bro's & Sister's ! Which ever way does the trick for you is what to do !!! Japanese cotton does wick faster than cellucotton

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where did you find these new coils? They are not listed on the Aspire website.Thanks.
Vapro supply , Must have a tax user ID as they only sell Wholesale ! I 'm Rebuilding my old ones with cellucotton , You tube has a step by step video it's very easy ! I only order from Vapro when I have a large order due to pricey shipping charges . They have only been available for < one week , to retailers in limited qty's . I'm sure they will be more available in future if customers demand is high . The problem is they have large qty's of the original coils that no one wants anymore if you made a recent order you will receive the original coils . If and when you re-build one you will be amazed at how much better they perform .

Last edited:

VU Sponsors