Become a Patron!

APIWATW Challenge- Closes 01/31/2019 (15 Prizes Available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, question then. Do we evaluate the battery you specified in the challenge description, or the battery that is actually pictured? Big diff.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Well, question then. Do we evaluate the battery you specified in the challenge description, or the battery that is actually pictured? Big diff.

Go with your gut, also read the last paragraph of #268 ;)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Battery in description will not handle the .13 coil. Battery pictured will, according to Mooch and the ohms law calculator.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
APIWATW #8- @Doomsday Vaper Edition
1. Dirty contacts (SoCal and Omaga)
2. Spot Welds (Wtmke1)
3. This build is way over for the actual battery pictured (Nadalama)

This was a great build example provided by Doomsday. The reason being is this is something we on this forum could very realistically encounter from someone with questions. @nadalama, you closed the challenge. Please whip us up a challenge offering.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Next one is coming momentarily.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd like to inject a few things about that...

Post #317 ;)

Additionally...

The build if 24g SS316 6/7 wrap is indeed .158Ω in dual with a variance of +- 0.06Ω dependent on leg length, and those are awfully long, so I would say its above .16Ω.

For the battery Shown, HB2, .16Ω is safe for the HB2, just not for the typed HG2.

EDIT: and that doesn't even take in account of the Ωs raising when wattage is applied to a point its probably closer to .19-.21Ω ;)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
APIWATW #9

APIWATW 09-00-Breakdown.jpg
APIWATW-09-01.jpg

Build Info-
DIY Box Mod (Series)
CompLyfe BD-2 Deck w/Trinity Glass Bullet Cap
Coils 4x26NI80 wrapped in 40G SS316, 3.5mm ID .18ohms
Wicked with boiled cotton
Batteries- Samsung 20S Batteries
Juice- 9mg Ohm Vapes "Yellow Dream"

Issues-

Subjective

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Honestly I like this one... I see all of them if not all of them already...

So Ill start it off and its not the obvious blue one ;)

APIWATW #9 Official

Coils pictured on the box not the same as in the RDA

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
APIWATW# 9

Not totally Subjective:

Om vapor juice is shit, 100% shit.... If shit needed a name other than OmVapors, it be called Verde Valley Vapes, which is also shit ;)

Notice the bottle is full. I have given it away twice and it keeps finding its way back. I happen to like Verde Valley, their Crunch Berry one and Strawberry Cheesecake is pretty good.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Coils out of position. Top cap will touch coils.

ETA: Does that matter if the cap is glass? I would think so, not necessarily a short, but perhaps broken and very hot glass.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Build Info-
DIY Box Mod (Series)

Issues-
1. Coils listed are not actually what is being used (These are 22g NI80) (So619Cal)

Subjective

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Notice the bottle is full. I have given it away twice and it keeps finding its way back. I happen to like Verde Valley, their Crunch Berry one and Strawberry Cheesecake is pretty good.

I bought some of Om's stuff, it was straight garbage...thought I was getting a good deal and said, holiday sale, cheap, wtf can wrong.

I tossed out over 600ml.

Verde Valley Vapes... they are the ones that got me into DIY years ago...

They had one of their sales, where buy a 120ml or two was it, and get another free...so many here raved about them... got like 5 different flavors, tried it fresh, and every week after for 6 weeks... tossed it all into the trash... well I did mail out some to some poor dude on reddit after he posted pics of his vehicle all trashed and was down on his luck... figured wtf, its shit to me, maybe he will like it lol...Sorry Reddit dude, you probably thought it was shit also...

But yeah all of V3's juice tasted like wet paper bag, with a hint of wet cardboard, truly nasty.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Coils out of position. Top cap will touch coils.

ETA: Does that matter if the cap is glass? I would think so, not necessarily a short, but perhaps broken and very hot glass.

These do not touch the glass, that is just camera angle. This kind of glass (I think its boriscilite) is designed to get hot. It would probably crack if you heated it really hot and cooled it suddenly or dropped it or something. These glass caps are rad (and allow me to use the deck, since I crushed the cap).

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I bought some of Om's stuff, it was straight garbage...thought I was getting a good deal and said, holiday sale, cheap, wtf can wrong.

I tossed out over 600ml.

Verde Valley Vapes... they are the ones that got me into DIY years ago...

They had one of their sales, where buy a 120ml or two was it, and get another free...so many here raved about them... got like 5 different flavors, tried it fresh, and every week after for 6 weeks... tossed it all into the trash... well I did mail out some to some poor dude on reddit after he posted pics of his vehicle all trashed and was down on his luck... figured wtf, its shit to me, maybe he will like it lol...Sorry Reddit dude, you probably thought it was shit also...

But yeah all of V3's juice tasted like wet paper bag, with a hint of wet cardboard, truly nasty.

Maybe they have changed their formulas. After the veteran giveaway, I scooped up some to support them. They were all flavor strong and a bit sweet.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Batts don't match.

To elaborate here: The LG batt is a 20650, which explains why the Samsung 20S is incorrectly installed.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Taking a guess at what coils actually are, I'd guess 24ga N80, 7/8 wraps, which would bring dual coil resistance to about 0.27, not 0.18. However, it does appear that 22ga would come out about right in resistance.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The build is .12ish, + series mod = amps of 1 (20S) battery of 30A = not enough amps or build is too low >> ?

If the build is .18 like listed, scratch that ^

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Build Info-
DIY Box Mod (Series)

Issues-
1. Coils listed are not actually what is being used (These are 22g NI80) (So619Cal)
2. Mismatched Batteries (LGHG6 20650 + Samsung 20S). Good Catch (Nadalama)

Subjective
1. 9mg nic too high for super low ohm vaping. (Nadalama)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
APIWATW# 9

Not totally Subjective:

Om vapor juice is shit, 100% shit.... If shit needed a name other than OmVapors, it be called Verde Valley Vapes, which is also shit ;)
Damn. A little harsh I'd say. But it is subjective. That is some super dark yellow dream though.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The RDA cap may hit the coils / too many wraps?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The o-ring looks bad.

The spare pin and screws are in the RDA deck which may be a matter of preference (I don't know if the copper is squonk only)

The batteries are almost in backwards (if you would have dropped that right one all the way in you would have had to taken the pic FAST!!!)

Man, it looks like someone put the death grip (aka vice grips) on that deck.

It is a very well built mod. I like it. :)

I can't see how the mosfet is wired but the wire has to be back there somewhere.

That juice is black! Yuck!!!
I won two bottles of ohm vapors once.
I have recommended them to a smokers having trouble switching because they carry a WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) line.

To me, the difference between "good" eliquid and "bad" eliquid is the good stuff never turns black.

I wish I could see in here better...

upload_2019-1-13_2-5-12.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
it looks wicked with rayon and not cotton.

It would be safe to say that the eliquid isn't going to be good if you try to use it on there.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm going to go with:

This is not a series DIY box.
It's a parallel DIY box.

I wish I could see some different angles so I could see where the wires are attached at the top of the sled to be sure but fuck it. i'll take a chance.

Oh, did anyone mention that the ejuice looks like motor oil?:D

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Build Info-
DIY Box Mod (Series)

Issues-
2. Mismatched Batteries (LGHG6 20650 + Samsung 20S). Good Catch (Nadalama)
3. This is a Parallel Mod (5150Sick)

Subjective
1. 9mg nic too high for super low ohm vaping. (Nadalama)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
it looks wicked with rayon and not cotton.

It would be safe to say that the eliquid isn't going to be good if you try to use it on there.

Its totally wicked with rayon. Thats not one of the issues but a really good catch. That cotton ball hasnt been boiled either, they look all deformed and weird once you boil them (not unlike wet toilet paper that has dried, IMO), that is just a run of the mill cotton ball, I just put it in there since I was going to use it to clean my face. :), which I did after taking that picture.

The coils do not actually touch the cap. While super close, they are clear and these coils are positioned lower on the deck that they usually would be due to how I like to sink the glass cap slightly lower than the bottom of the deck and the way the airflow slits in the glass align from doing so.

You will also notice the wicking is clear and there is a an awful lot of it on the deck. Was doing some flavor testing and found one I liked, decided to vape on it a while. There is no adjustable airflow on the trinity cap, so to starve it a little, it was stuffed with rayon under the coils to retard airflow. In that pic, all of it was scooted out to the sides, but there is a lot of wicking in that thing.

That box was a hard hitter, had built a whole bunch of them at one point. Some have been given away, some I kept. This one was kept as a reminder of something (will explain after the challenge is closed). Still have a whole bunch of Hammond boxes and battery sleds, might be time for another run. Maybe a candy powder coated DIY PWM is in order.

Im not giving hints on the last issue. Someone is looking at it really close and heading in the right direction. Matter of time on that one.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm not good at building wire. I have to use WW to calculate everything.
The stated build "Coils 4x26NI80 wrapped in 40G SS316, 3.5mm ID .18ohms" appears closer to .12Ω
Also unless there's just enough blurryness to the pic, to not be able to see a tight wrap w/ 40g, the coils look like solid wire. And 22N80 would be close the the stated .18Ω . Also looks unprepped or, not dry fired.

Edit: This has been answered :facepalm: (at least I found it on my own :giggle:) cept that last sentence maybe.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not good at building wire. I have to use WW to calculate everything.
The stated build "Coils 4x26NI80 wrapped in 40G SS316, 3.5mm ID .18ohms" appears closer to .12Ω
Also unless there's just enough blurryness to the pic, to not be able to see a tight wrap w/ 40g, the coils look like solid wire. And 22N80 would be close the the stated .18Ω . Also looks unprepped or, not dry fired.

Edit: This has been answered :facepalm: (at least I found it on my own :giggle:) cept that last sentence maybe.
Exactly. Even if it's already answered you were still able to find it yourself. Another good part about these challenges. Helps others what to look for. And research is always the key to vaping. One might just be loving it because it was sent to them

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Another good part about these challenges. Helps others what to look for. And research is always the key to vaping. One might just be loving it because it was sent to them
Yeah, I tend to use what I already know and like, and if I'm building with what to me is unknown I'll look everything up first. These challenges can be like reverse engineering :)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Here is a hint. It has nothing to do with the coils or the cotton or the juice. Look hard. Real hard.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This screw looks pretty loose:

upload_2019-1-13_17-44-13.png

The other side has no screw.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Do I see bare wire there to the left of the LG battery? Looks like part of the sheathing or insulation is missing.

Actually there are two places like that.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Do I see bare wire there to the left of the LG battery? Looks like part of the sheathing or insulation is missing.

Actually there are two places like that.

That was made (by me) with bare 14g wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors