Become a Patron!

Anyone using mangosteen and lychee?

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some weeks ago at a convention I picked up a couple bottles of liquid by Vape Goons called Orgasm, and its a fitting name. I had never even heard of a mangosteen, and heard horrible things about lychee. But as soon as I tried it I was blown away by the flavor. Now im on the hunt to try to come up with something similar and i'm pretty sure they used FA stuff because I can't find another mainstream company that does mangosteen. Ive read that mangosteen should be used very sparingly. So has anyone else got experience with these flavorings and have any ideas on how to go about it? Seems these two flavors aren't particularly popular, and I haven't seen any recipes using both. I also plan to pick up some CAP sweet lychee based on the Mixtress' recommendations.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mangosteen plays nice with TFA honeydew and Inawera cactus and lime. Don't have the recipe handy. Found it on here. Cactus dew I think was the name.

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya, I saw that one when searching the forums. I'd be interested in trying it but I have none of the flavors in it, the mangosteen and lychee I will be ordering this weekend I think. Kaktus by inawera does sound interesting though, its a little odd and I tend to like odd flavors. Hmmm, maybe I will just order all those flavors to try it, minus the spearmint however.

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cactus is hands down my favorite flavoring in my large collection (of maybe 150 flavors). Highly recommend.

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright... its being added to my cart at BCV. I was just looking for it and about to worry when I realized they spell it "cactus" while inawera spells its "kaktus", which is what I was looking for. And while i'm talking about BCV, I have to mention how awesome they are. Ecigexpress might be a little cheaper but they don't have alot of the stuff i'm wanting, or if they do have it, its out of stock. Its so nice to just shop at one place and get everything you need without having to pay extra shipping from another site. Trying to find one place that sells 30+ flavors you want and has them in stock is incredible.

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And just when I mention how awesome BCV, they dont have extreme soda... Does it go by a different name now by chance?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never considered using lychee.
When I think of actual lychee, it's a bit sweet and a bit sour and not very dominant, nothing to write home about.
I don't see it mixing well with anything.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Small additions of FA Lychee work great to sweeten and add a smooth tropical accent. Try just 0.5% in a fruit blend that needs a little character. If you like some recipes that include TFA Dragonfruit, try FA Lychee at a MUCH lower percent in addition or as a replacement.

I've liked FA Mangosteen for a mystery-sweet-complex-fruit note in creamy blends. Try adding 1% or less to a combination of all your favorite cream flavors for something fluffy, sweet, and tropical.

I don't like the flavor of Sucralose in vapes and use sweet flavorings like these instead. I think both are well-suited to tropical blends.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some weeks ago at a convention I picked up a couple bottles of liquid by Vape Goons called Orgasm, and its a fitting name. /QUOTE]

I haven't had any Orgasm myself, but I've heard it mentioned. I'll have to try Orgasm for myself and see if it lives up to the hype. To hear some people talk, Orgasm is what they live for.

'Probably wrung all I can out of this, huh?

Seriously, I'm still trying to track down mangosteens at one of the local Asian markets in my area per HIC's recommendation. :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
'm still trying to track down mangosteens at one of the local Asian markets in my area per HIC's recommendation.

Fresh are available only for a short time in the summer. Make friends with the produce manager at your Asian market, because they get really hard to cut open if they aren't fresh, so you gotta get 'em quick. Canned are easy to find all year but, you know...canned.

Sean.King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome replies. I think I will start with mangosteen at 1% and lychee at 2%, after trying each individually of course in small samples. From the sound of it, I might try a touch of peach as well, possibly coconut later on down the road. I'll be making an order from BCV tomorrow to get the mangosteen and lychee, for lychee i'll be picking up FA's and CAP's. Maybe adding dragon fruit would help? Hmmm, might be too many dominant flavors but i'll try it at some point.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never had mangosteen.
If you like the taste of lychee at all: I tried 4% lychee with 3% Vienna Cream [both FA] and it was pretty tasty. But, you have to like the lychee

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the taste of lychee, particularly with a raspberry stuffed into 'em.

Say, now ... I'm not big on fruity vapes but that sounds teh yumz ....

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/cactus-dew.2254/
My sample bottle of Mangosteen was weak when I made this at 5%. When restocking this much loved flavor the 5% was way too much. HIC mentioned I should use less then the new 3%. I tried different percentages, but the 3% tasted best to me with the other flavors.

Once you make a mix with FA Mangosteen even at a tiny amount, you will know right away if you leave it out. Mangosteen is one of the few "magic" flavors. Once added it can turn an ok mix into something magical or make it worst. Kactus works well with it as others have mentioned.

Lychee. I'm still pushing myself to forget the first time I smelled the open bottle from TFA. I was not a happy camper, though I kept it in case the flavor vaped better then it smells. I did a couple of mixes that were not bad after steeping, but it still isn't a flavor I feel comfortable playing with yet. I think I tried someone's raspberry and lychee mix with something else. Maybe I ruined it with the something else. Any way it's one of my flavors that I'm still researching for a good tasting mix.

trecenters

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Sounds like a neat flavor to work with. Maybe some day it will get on my monthly list of concentrates I need. I would really like to just try the fruit its self at this point.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I recently bought FA Lychee and FA Mangosteen. I'm still experimenting with it. However, what I used it in, I like it a lot.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like an interesting mix. Will you post the recipe when ready?
It's just my basic test base for fruits. It takes the rawness out, but doesn't bury the flavor and gives me a good Idea on how the fruit flavor will work in mixes.
FA Fresh Cream 2%
FA Vanilla .5% Choose the FA vanilla that you feel will work with the particular fruit your testing. When in doubt, I use Vanilla Classic
Add the fruit you're testing at the stand alone % guesstimate you've researched.

One of my favorites is
Kiwi(FA) 3.5%
Fresh Cream(FA) 2%
Vanilla Bourbon(FA) .5%
I can vape it all day and sometimes will add some Dragon fruit.
I usually have 3-5 of these test batches mixed so I can blend a few together in a small bottle when I think they might go well together. That's how I came up with Kiwi with Dragon Fruit.
Tasting the Mangosteen as a shake & vape, it seems to have some of the characteristic tart (but not bitter) back notes of pomegranate, cranberry and/or dragon fruit and I can easily see it going very well with kiwi and/or certain citrus flavors.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh boy, after reading this I now need to by mangosteen. I so cannot wait for my next order

As for kactus, I love it. I like to add acouple drops to my strawberry mixes when I'm about half way through a 30ml bottle. It's a fun add, kinda of gives it a green flavor. If one could taste the rainbow, katcus is the the green for me.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to get this mangosteen I love lychee I am a addict I put it in everything

VU Sponsors