Become a Patron!

anyone rebuild an atlantis coil yet?

joedirt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
has anyone successfully rebuilt an atlantis coil yet?..ive seen one locally pulled aparts and rewicked with jap. cotton,..
also any ideas on mods to this tank?..id love to see a bigger tank in the future,..also ive been toying with the idea of drilling a fill port in the pyrex tank and adding threads for a removable fill port

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got mine a couple days ago so I haven't tried to yet but am excited to give it ago with japanese cotton. Not gonna try it like the video above but the size of the coil should make this alot easier than its little brother and Iv'e had good results wit it. If I had a box of spares I'd sacrifice one but till then I must wait.
In case I fail miserably

Last edited:

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made a jig at work today to wind the coils. Takes about 30 seconds to wind a coil. Now I need a dead coil.
natcoil.jpg

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok So I couldn't wait !!
Decided to rip apart a perfectly good coil lol.
I built a 26 awg Kanthal coil with 7/8 wraps which is the same awg wire and wraps and coil diameter as stock.
The casing is 2 pieces by the way. Made a tool to take apart and assemble. This allows you to put your wick in and oring and bottom pin then the whole assembly slides right in perfectly. I used japanese cotton (only way to go) and pre wet the coil. When I put it on my box mod I was surprised to see i had 1.4 ohms. I wound another coil and screwed it onto a dripper to check ohms it was 1.4 also. Went to steam engines webpage and entered my data and it agrees with my box as to what ohms s/b for this coil. I don't know what kinda wire there using in these things but it sure ain't like regular kanthal. So I tried it out anyway. Vapes good but not what I want. So I guess I'll order some 24 and 22 awg wire. I figure 24awg should put me at .7 and 22 awg .5 to .6.
These coils with the kit I whipped up are easy to do and s/b 100% consistent. Shouldn't take as long to rebuild as my orchid. Speaking of which I think I'll go and vape on it.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
great video!...I hope you don't mind,..i shared it with a local fb group here in Portland
Share away! That's why I posted it.
Most complaints I've heard about Atlantis are "coils are to expensive' and "I like to rebuild" so both problems solved!

joedirt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just did a build tonight using 26g gplat 7 wraps around 5/32nd bit...using jap cotton. ..came in at .7ohms. ..working great so far!uploadfromtaptalk1417665939395.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just rebuilt a my Atlantis coil out of Arsenal low resistance 24g wire.
It came in at 0.22 Ω and flat chuckin' clouds on my Segelei at 75w.
Think I'll hit a local B&M cloud competition this weekend. It'd be wild to win with one of these tanks.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Steam Powered
Did you go to competition ?
When I read your post I immediately googled Arsenal for wire. Only 26 awg in stock. Been checking daily and now it only shows 26 awg period. No other awg even listed. Any thoughts as to where I could order some low resistance wire in 24 awg ?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I rebuilt a week old head with 24 gauge flat Kanthal and Japanese cotton, came out at .38 Ohms. I didn't think it possible, but this build produces more vapor and more flavor that the stock heads. Seems that the wide flat Kanthal is making more contact with the cotton. Cripes, now the atty empties even quicker than before! The fog was so thick I couldn't see my screen last night from 24" away.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Steam Powered
Did you go to competition ?
When I read your post I immediately googled Arsenal for wire. Only 26 awg in stock. Been checking daily and now it only shows 26 awg period. No other awg even listed. Any thoughts as to where I could order some low resistance wire in 24 awg ?
No lol...I didn't compete with the Atlantis. I thought about it but these guys around here would kill it even with a hot build in it.
As for the Arsenal wire I'm sorry but can't help you. I've bought mine from my local shop and all they stock is 24 gauge in Arsenal.
I just checked the package to make sure and yes it's 24 so it does exist. Sorry I can't help more.

1rudedog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just did a build tonight using 26g gplat 7 wraps around 5/32nd bit...using jap cotton. ..came in at .7ohms. ..working great so far!View attachment 9735

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
kool gots some gplat and gonna be in bidness!!thanx!!!
id heard someone say they thought they were usin nr-r-nr wire in the stock coils,i haven't had one apart yet but the weld would be easy to see im sure.

MadderMartigan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
has anyone successfully rebuilt an atlantis coil yet?..ive seen one locally pulled aparts and rewicked with jap. cotton,..
also any ideas on mods to this tank?..id love to see a bigger tank in the future,..also ive been toying with the idea of drilling a fill port in the pyrex tank and adding threads for a removable fill port

anybody have any luck with this? I do it like this but 2mm spaced and mount the coil first with the drill bit going through the hole and then wick it. works pretty good for me!

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry to jump in so late in the game but 1rudedog is right. At least with the heads I've opened. The legs and coils are two different wires. brazed together. And nodor you can try pure nickle wire. Extremely low resistance. You might have 300 wraps at .000001 ohms

VU Sponsors