Become a Patron!

Anybody have experience with vape gear and American Airlines?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Flying to Kansas City on Tuesday for orientation with my new trucking job.

Will be starting work from there right after orientation so don't know exactly how long until I get home again so was hoping to take my main vape gear. But ecigs and lithium batteries need to be in carry on, which is limited to batteries for the device and 2 spares. (so I assume the 2 batts in the mod + 2 spare batts)
When it comes to laptops, cameras, etc you are allowed the battery contained in the device + 2 spare batteries

All the info I can find regarding ecigs refers to smaller devices with internal batteries, nothing specific about mods that take multiple removable batteries. There are also limits regarding the watt hours, over 160 is forbidden. So would 18650 25Rs even be allowed?

Plus, since I rewrapped my batts, they have no details regarding type or capacity. Would this complicate things as well?

Anybody have any experience?

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I flew on AA this past weekend. I had no problem taking 2 mods and five extra pairs of batteries in my carry-on. No questions asked. Just be sure to put any juice you carry with you in the 1 quart Zip-Lok bag. I'd also suggest emptying tanks so they don't leak all over the place. I didn't have that problem since I only took my drippers.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I can't speak to American Airlines.

But I have never had an issue with the TSA and Southwest.

However, the last time I flew, I had a mod with tank attached in my shirt pocket as usual.

One of the stewards on the flight was a real asshole and made a point of telling me that I could not vape on the plane.

I told him that I was aware of the rules and was planning on being a "Good Boy".

But the idiot watched me for the entire flight seemingly in hopes of catching me sneaking a vape.

At one point, I needed to cram myself into the closet with the toilet and sure enough when I came out, he was right there.

Actually, I was kind of expecting something of the sort and when he was not looking, I gave my mod and tank to my Mrs. to hold.

Boy, did he look disappointed when I came out with an empty shirt pocket!

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I normally fly southwest, and have never had a problem. I've had TSA want to swab my mouthpiece when going through security, but that's it. Like mentioned, put your eliquid in your little baggie. And, be sure to remember to turn off your ecig before you stow it in your carry on.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't speak to American Airlines.

But I have never had an issue with the TSA and Southwest.

However, the last time I flew, I had a mod with tank attached in my shirt pocket as usual.

One of the stewards on the flight was a real asshole and made a point of telling me that I could not vape on the plane.

I told him that I was aware of the rules and was planning on being a "Good Boy".

But the idiot watched me for the entire flight seemingly in hopes of catching me sneaking a vape.

At one point, I needed to cram myself into the closet with the toilet and sure enough when I came out, he was right there.

Actually, I was kind of expecting something of the sort and when he was not looking, I gave my mod and tank to my Mrs. to hold.

Boy, did he look disappointed when I came out with an empty shirt pocket!
That happens when they give a slight amount of authority to sniveling bitches.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was just gonna put my juice in my checked bag since that has a 70 ounce limit.
I have 4 strong solid lids that I can use on my 240ml bottles so will take 4 bottles and some drip caps to use when I get there.
Will also be vacuum sealing the bottles so even if they do leak, there will be no chance of liquid escaping the heat sealed bag.

Will put my mod, batteries, and container with RDAs, my Atlantis, and possibly Nautilus in my laptop bag which will be carry-on.

And, looking up the actual numbers, no clue why I was worried about the watt hour rating. lol.
a 2100mAH battery @ 4.2 volts is less then 10 watt hours, well below the limit.

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
so how much juice can you take on the plane
For your carry on baggage, liquids, aerosols, gels, creams, and pastes are limited to containers that hold 3.4 oz (100ml) or less, each, and all of them must fit in a single, quart-size ziplock bag.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Edit to add: From reading some travel forums, TSA has been known to confiscate liquids where the container holds more than 100ml but only has 100ml or less in it, since the rule says that the container must hold 100ml or less. So, a bottle that can hold 200ml but is less than 1/2 full might be subject to confiscation.

eggymaniac

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You go through general security, unless you cause a reason AA or any other airline isn't going to search your luggage, and TSA looking through your bags couldn't care less who youre flying with. I've taken multitudes of batteries and never had a problem no matter who I fly with, even internationally.

If your worried about it put your batteries and allotted spares in your carry-on and more batteries in your sesperate laptop bag.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I fly AA quite frequently, usually overnight international flights, so I can vape while everyone is sleeping, including the stewardesses. The planes are the 757's, first class has beds, nothing to worry about there, vaping under a blanket...:)

Never had a problem with TSA either.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been known to vape in bathroom of airplane. Gotta be careful though bcas if a cloud makes it to the smoke detector. . . I usually use high PG for flight, take small puffs, and exhale inside shirt.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors