Become a Patron!

Any suggestions for non sweet tart type flavors or recipes?

emsmom

Member For 4 Years
I have been searching for 5 years now for something to vape other than a tobacco flavor. Most juices are just too sweet for me, even in the tobacco flavors. I finally discovered a Lime that I really liked and it was almost immediately taken off the market after my first bottle purchase. This has renewed my quest with DIY! If anyone has any suggestions for a great lemonade, limeade or other tart flavoring or recipe, it would be greatly appreciated! I currently have 11 test bottles steeping, all with different brands of flavoring and percentages, trying to find a lemonade type that will work. Once I have that step done, figure I can move on to adding other fruits. Getting the base right is where I am now. Any help from all you experts would be greatly appreciated!!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I have been searching for 5 years now for something to vape other than a tobacco flavor. Most juices are just too sweet for me, even in the tobacco flavors. I finally discovered a Lime that I really liked and it was almost immediately taken off the market after my first bottle purchase.

What lime flavoring was that? It might help us suggest others you'd like.
What VG/PG ratio do you use? VG has some natural sweetness that might be getting in your way. Max PG would probably be more to your liking.

emsmom

Member For 4 Years
Sorry, should have been clearer. The lime was a B&M juice purchase. It was their idea of Mountain Dew, but it wasn't sweet at all and really just tasted like a strong lime to me. I normally use 100% PG, but have just started to add 20% VG to my mixes as I am finding some flavors really diminish the vapor production. So trying to compensate for this by adding some VG. I definitely prefer 100% PG if the flavor doesn't mess with the clouds. My normal vape for the past 3 years is still a China tobacco that is very dry, not sweet and has a lot of pepper notes to it. Makes most people choke. And before that it was China pipe or cigar type strong flavors. The other juice I have tried lately that was enjoyable was a strong strawberry lemonade. So I am thinking the tart flavors are probably what I would enjoy. Don't know why I can't tolerate vaping anything sweet, but I can't. I am just so jealous of all of you who are enjoying tons of different flavors! I have literally sampled hundreds of juices and outside of a tobacco flavor, the lemon and lime were the only ones I could stand. I have listed to your advice and picked up some VT nic, so am hoping that this will also help too. This whole DIY thing is a lot harder than I ever anticipated. Have tried it off and on a few times and end up tossing the majority. This time I have read darn near everything written here on the subject and have a much better grasp of percentages and combinations, or at least I am hoping that is the case:)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, should have been clearer. The lime was a B&M juice purchase. It was their idea of Mountain Dew, but it wasn't sweet at all and really just tasted like a strong lime to me. I normally use 100% PG, but have just started to add 20% VG to my mixes as I am finding some flavors really diminish the vapor production. So trying to compensate for this by adding some VG. I definitely prefer 100% PG if the flavor doesn't mess with the clouds. My normal vape for the past 3 years is still a China tobacco that is very dry, not sweet and has a lot of pepper notes to it. Makes most people choke. And before that it was China pipe or cigar type strong flavors. The other juice I have tried lately that was enjoyable was a strong strawberry lemonade. So I am thinking the tart flavors are probably what I would enjoy. Don't know why I can't tolerate vaping anything sweet, but I can't. I am just so jealous of all of you who are enjoying tons of different flavors! I have literally sampled hundreds of juices and outside of a tobacco flavor, the lemon and lime were the only ones I could stand. I have listed to your advice and picked up some VT nic, so am hoping that this will also help too. This whole DIY thing is a lot harder than I ever anticipated. Have tried it off and on a few times and end up tossing the majority. This time I have read darn near everything written here on the subject and have a much better grasp of percentages and combinations, or at least I am hoping that is the case:)
Do not forget "sour" man as a addition to your recipes I just made some lemon lime cooler and I made it 60/40 a bit of sour not sweet at all or a couple drops of lemon work as well ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Inawera's Wera Garden Orange is really tart. I really do like it, but can't all day vape it. One drop in 5ml base is super potent, so I mixed it in 10ml base with Hangsen Orange at 4 drops. The Inawera bottle is the long skinny dropper top. This flavor will kill a plastic syringe. The Hangsen is the "average" size dropper top.

Have you tried any spice flavors? Cardamom is good. Or Anise. Would be different, for sure. Or even mix it in a fruit that might be only a tad too sweet for a little kick of something? Those are FlavourArt.

Nut flavors? Lots of options.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
If you're high on the PG, that will help a lot. Other than tobaccos, for non-sweet FlavourArt I'd suggest Black Tea, FA Whiskey, FA Brandy, and probably Coffee Espresso. FA Lime Cold Pressed is like real lime juice; Lime Tahiti is more like a whole lime with the zest and a little bitterness. If you didn't find a Mt. Dew flavor sweet, either your tolerance for sweetness isn't all that low, or it might have included some 'Sour' additions. FA Bitter Wizard is intended to take away sweetness; might work for lightly sweet flavors such as Lemon Sicily, Strawberry (combine those two for strawberry lemonade), Grapefruit, perhaps Citrus Mix (it has a little sweetness from the orange). FA Forest Fruit and Concord Grape are not very sweet, especially at low percents. FA Oakwood is a dry wood flavor - not sweet. Black Fire gives you dry smoke. Hazelnut is the least-sweet of FA's nut flavors, and Coconut is not a sweetened version; adding Oakwood and/or Black Fire to either of those is dry and tasty.

emsmom

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the suggestions. Time to do some more mixing. I have most of the flavorings suggested, so just have to get to it again. You guys have all been so helpful and it is really appreciated! This whole DIY adventure has turned out to be a lot more difficult than expected! It sure isn't just dump a little flavoring into a base and vape. I think, due to your help, I will have a much better chance of finding something decent this time around. I have tried some Mountain Dew type juices that I thought were gagable, but this one brand was just excellent. Had I named it, it would not have had the name because I didn't find it to be sweet like every other Mt. Dew I had tried. It really was just a very tart lime which I am sure had some other goodies in it because it did have a nice depth to it.

emsmom

Member For 4 Years
I would love to try something cranberry. Does anyone have any experience with any of the cranberry flavorings and what % to use?

VU Sponsors