Become a Patron!

any runners here?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yesterday, I ran my very first Half Marathon. I only started running (or attempted to run) November of last year. I started off over weight and walking. I have lost over 75lbs and yesterday completed my first half marathon. the first 11miles were easy then the mental block came and had to walk a couple of times but I made it with a finishing time of 2:44 and average pace of 12:30min/mile. I would love to hear about your stories. who is a runner here?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Checking in :). Congrats on your accomplishments, both weight loss and first race! I went through a similar journey starting a bit over four years ago. Next comes a marathon my friend ;)

I've been fighting plantar fasciitis since the Colfax Marathon in May 2013, so I've been limited to 5 10k's a week, but my usual base was 4 10k's and one half for my long run when not training. Been running in sub zero weather last week here, you know it's fun when your eyelashes freeze, lol.

I'm glad you're running, it's fucking addictive, the best high I've gotten. There are others here, @Hobby Kid is a runner. I'm a nutrition freak, too. There's an exercise and activities thread that died, too. I'm down to talk running, though. I have a new pair of shoes out for delivery ATM actually. Yay!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
cool. running is very addicting. I have really cut back on my training miles but will build them back up for next years running season. This year my New Years Resolution was to run (1) race a month and have one more to complete my at least (12) races this year. I actually did more but at least (1) in every month. my last one will be a 5K just to finish up the year. next year I'll be choosing more carefully, ( i love the bling) as a matter of fact I'm still wearing my Half Marathon finishers medal today. lol I will wear it all day today because it is a huge accomplishment for me. I need to lose more weight (i actually gained back some of the weight I lost) I might add in some resistance training but that means joining a gym eh, as if running wasn't expensive enough.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
cool. running is very addicting. I have really cut back on my training miles but will build them back up for next years running season. This year my New Years Resolution was to run (1) race a month and have one more to complete my at least (12) races this year. I actually did more but at least (1) in every month. my last one will be a 5K just to finish up the year. next year I'll be choosing more carefully, ( i love the bling) as a matter of fact I'm still wearing my Half Marathon finishers medal today. lol I will wear it all day today because it is a huge accomplishment for me. I need to lose more weight (i actually gained back some of the weight I lost) I might add in some resistance training but that means joining a gym eh, as if running wasn't expensive enough.
That's an awesome accomplishment man! Congrats! As far as the weight goes, I can't stress nutrition and proper caloric intake enough. Running won't do the trick alone, not at all. And if you train properly for distance races, it's pretty normal to gain a little weight. You build up your bodies glycogen stores, and thus store more, and more weight.

It's warming up this week here, thank god. Last week was brutal, but 5 layers on top, and 3 on the bottom, and I'm not cold. The wind is what really makes it bad, though. I will not be defeated by no weather! Lol.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
5 miles a day :D TBC is right gotta layer up these days but wont be stopped. once i realized i wouldnt be winded bc of cigs i got out there and its part of my day now

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad I live in San Diego, I can still wear Tshirt and shorts to run. maybe arm compression sleeves to keep warm when I start to sweat. I used to run 10 miles 2-3 times a week and 5 miles the rest and 1 mile on sat and sunday. but have slowed down a lot (personal reasons) and I'm working my way up to 5 miles daily. as it is now it's 5 miles twice a week, I want to kick it up to three times a week with 1 mile in between.

yes nutrition is the key to losing weight. I don't binge eat but on the weekends I don't really watch what I eat. but I'm back on the horse again and will lose this 15-20 lbs I might have gained back (i'm to scared to get on the scale right now)

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a daily 3mile run in the park next to my apartment. I don't have the advantage of nice weather provided by San Diego, but I run daily and I have been stopped only 3 times by snowstorms and the desire not to get in the news as: "that jogger" :D. On weekends I go for 8 miles.

VU Sponsors