Become a Patron!

Any Double or Single Edged Brush and Blade Shavers Here?

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a sweet looking scuttle for a damn decent price

Yeah it is! I like the clam shell soap dish I liberated from a swank hotel, the ridges whip up a shave fast, but I think I would like this much better, as it keeps the heat. Wanted to check Ebay real quick for it, and there it was from the manufacturer for $23 including shipping. I'm in!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201684535204

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yeah it is! I like the clam shell soap dish I liberated from a swank hotel, the ridges whip up a shave fast, but I think I would like this much better, as it keeps the heat. Wanted to check Ebay real quick for it, and there it was from the manufacturer for $23 including shipping. I'm in!

The internal ridges in the bowl make really short work out of building a lather.

I like to take a Pryex measuring cup, fill it with water and heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes and use that to fill the scuttle.

Put the brush into it to soak while I am taking my shower and when I am ready to shave, the scuttle is very warm/hot and produces an extremely nice warm/hot lather.:confetti:

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The internal ridges in the bowl make really short work out of building a lather.

I like to take a Pryex measuring cup, fill it with water and heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes and use that to fill the scuttle.

Put the brush into it to soak while I am taking my shower and when I am ready to shave, the scuttle is very warm/hot and produces an extremely nice warm/hot lather.:confetti:

Thank you, Uncle! Today is a shave day, I wish I had the thing NOW. I set the clam shell into a slighter larger dish of hot water, effectively doing the same thing, but the heat doesn't last the whole shave. Going to LOVE this thing. My brushes knots will likely be thankful for not getting dipped in the ultra hot tap water to warm the brush. I keep my water heaters set to 211.95F, so that after 3 women shower, there is still some hope for warm water.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Damn! Next week, maybe. You're a dick Moo! You got me!

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sup guys, so I finally did it and ordered the maggard v3 with the 25 blade sample pack and can't wait for it to get here. I took your guys advice and cause my neck is so sensitive And went with the Nivea cream. Now my next question is how is a double edged razor for precision shaving? I don't shave my whole face only neck and cheeks and find I can do ok with a cartridge razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sup guys, so I finally did it and ordered the maggard v3 with the 25 blade sample pack and can't wait for it to get here. I took your guys advice and cause my neck is so sensitive And went with the Nivea cream. Now my next question is how is a double edged razor for precision shaving? I don't shave my whole face only neck and cheeks and find I can do ok with a cartridge razor.

There are a few soaps/creams for sensitive skin. I would highly recommend the Proraso. It's available in both forms. I don't think I've heard much bad about it. It'd prolly be easier/cheaper for you to get your stuff from Italianbarber.com (they're in Toronto). And to your question of preciseness, I'd say it's much more precise. Just remember, for your first shave or 20, don't put any pressure on the razor against your face. Once you figure out your proper blade angle, you'll pretty much be set.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As a fellow bearded wet shaver, I understand your concern. I found it a bit challenging to keep my lines straight at first because of the space between the safety bar and the actually blade. Just be extra careful when shaving around your beard edges until you get a feel for where the edge is.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_o8wbdkPy0h1u7t71ro1_400.gif

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

With practice, you can shave around any area without difficulty.

Granted that it may take some time and you may end up with some nicks and weepers but it can be done.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With practice, you can shave around any area without difficulty.

Granted that it may take some time and you may end up with some nicks and weepers but it can be done.

Lol.. nicks and weepers. Mang, I got myself SO good one day. Frikkin Pearlex.. 3" long, perfectly straight flapper. Took a few days for the scabbing to end, but after that, I noticed I was getting even a little wider berth than usual in crowded places. Nothing like a fresh slash wound on ones face to add a hint of menace...

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol.. nicks and weepers. Mang, I got myself SO good one day. Frikkin Pearlex.. 3" long, perfectly straight flapper. Took a few days for the scabbing to end, but after that, I noticed I was getting even a little wider berth than usual in crowded places. Nothing like a fresh slash wound on ones face to add a hint of menace...

Woof! That's a nasty one. I've been a lot more careful since I've exclusively been using my straight. In fact, I got the closest, smoothest shave yet the other day with it. I tried our face lathering for the first time as well so I wonder if that had something to do with that.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Woof! That's a nasty one. I've been a lot more careful since I've exclusively been using my straight. In fact, I got the closest, smoothest shave yet the other day with it. I tried our face lathering for the first time as well so I wonder if that had something to do with that.

Well, straight razor shaving is a lot like motorcycling, and one of the reasons I got into it. It looks crazy dangerous to some, but as long as you keep your mind AND your eyes on what you are doing, it is not. And it takes your mind off of almost ANYthing.

On a bike, it's my life but I have let myself get distracted and paid the price. And I learned to try to never do THAT again. Same with the straight. I was thinking about something else, and wasn't even looking in the mirror when I did it. Again, like motorcycling, It just isn't an activity that will tolerate less than your full attention. As long as I respect that, my odds get WAY better.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just wanted to post a quick THANK you to Uncle for the lead and the tips on that scuttle. It is REALLY nice, and truly keeps the lather hot through the whole shave. LOVE it!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just wanted to post a quick THANK you to Uncle for the lead and the tips on that scuttle. It is REALLY nice, and truly keeps the lather hot through the whole shave. LOVE it!

You are very welcome and I am glad to hear that you love it as much as I love mine!

For a real treat, get yourself a tub of Cryogene menthol shave soap and then finish with some Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Your face will thank you:hearts:

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are very welcome and I am glad to hear that you love it as much as I love mine!
For a real treat, get yourself a tub of Cryogene menthol shave soap and then finish with some Virgin Island Bay Rum.
Your face will thank you:hearts:

:) I will try it, thanks Uncle!

I am on Propane. Every year I "Pre-buy" the winter needs in the late summer to lock in the summer price. Every early SPRING, I take myself off of "Automatic fillup" as the propane company likes to come fill all the tanks just before the new spring pricing kicks in. Every fall, I forget to put myself BACK on auto fill, and run out of propane.

Such is the case today. No hot water or heat. Now, I have no problem with cold water. I put the water toys in the lake early, take em out late. Hard to find HELP, I admit. I've bathed in Lake Michigan in mid November while deer hunting. The Mrs. and Daughter were sneering at me from behind greasy locks, as I came down from my ice cold shower and hot shave this morning. Hahaha.... The MICROWAVE still works.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Nothing worse than a cold shave!

I will never forget my wedding day.\

The best man and I stayed in an El-Cheapo motel the night before the wedding.

When we got up the next morning, we had no hot water to shower or shave with:gaah:

To make matters worse, the lock to the door was busted and the hotel maintenance man had to take a crowbar to the door to get us out so we could get to the church!:facepalm:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While I do wash my face off with a cold washcloth after I shave, I vastly prefer starting off with a face that has been freshly washed with hot water and followed up with a warm to hot lather.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Alum Block To The Rescue!

This morning while the Mrs. was shaving her legs, something went wrong and she ended up with one heck of a cut.:(

She hobbled out of her bathroom (walking is kinda hard to do properly when holding TP to your leg) and asked me if I had anything in all of my shaving "Stuff" that would help.

So I promptly gave her my Alum Block, told her to wet it and hold it over her cut for a couple of minutes.

Forgot to tell her that it would most likely sting like a SOB:cuss2:

But it did the job nice and neat.

Now she can't complain so much about all of my shave gear:giggle::stars:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope you all had great holidays! Any new shaving acquisitions, gentleman? Nothing new for me save for some Maggard Limes & Bergamot soap I bought for myself. Just happy I've found a routine that works for me and my damn sensitive neck. Maggard V3A, Gillette Silver Blues, switched to face lather instead of bowl, and wait at least a day in between shaves.
Trying to rotate in the straight, but having a nick-free face for the holidays was a bit of a priority. Damn pictures!

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_5186.JPG
Hope you all had great holidays! Any new shaving acquisitions, gentleman? Nothing new for me save for some Maggard Limes & Bergamot soap I bought for myself. Just happy I've found a routine that works for me and my damn sensitive neck. Maggard V3A, Gillette Silver Blues, switched to face lather instead of bowl, and wait at least a day in between shaves.
Trying to rotate in the straight, but having a nick-free face for the holidays was a bit of a priority. Damn pictures!

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Nothing in the form of a present.

But I did order a tub o Cryogen shaving soap and I am getting ready to order 100 Double Edged Feather Blades.

Last year the Mrs. dropped a lot of coin at the local Art of Shaving Kiosk or whatever.

Told her I really appreciated her gifts.

Also told her she had been totally ripped off please don't buy anything from them ever again!

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Just some more soap for the bowl and one of those little stands for the brush and what not.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While I do wash my face off with a cold washcloth after I shave, I vastly prefer starting off with a face that has been freshly washed with hot water and followed up with a warm to hot lather.

Yep, wash face, hot towel for 5 min, warm lather, shave then a cold towel to finish.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My girlfriend got me a full kit with a new brush, bowl razor and stand. The blade it came with was amazing but the extra blades she got didn't feel like they irritated my face but damn was it red and bumpy for a few hours afterwards
7eee8c173c51489a700b75b6ac1152d6.jpg

That's a classy looking setup. I had no idea that Wahl made safety razors!

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Me either but they do make damn good clippers and trimmers. It's got a nice feel and it's the perfect weight for my hand

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try feather or Polsilver blades. Ultra sharp and for not much coin.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
then look at a Merkur 134 long handle. A decent razor.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got a merkur 34c and started using stone creek soap works cream. Love that stuff. I swear it's the best cream.

Also got a B4, 1956, redtip Gillette.

I bought all this, no gifts.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just be a touch conscious on how you Shave Hank. Slant blades are a bit aggressive.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess it's not like my Merkur 37C then, which is quite aggressive.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dammit man! I just promised my bride-to-be I wouldn't spend for anything extra until the wedding! Just dangle the carrot why don't you?

Meh. It was only $23 shipped. They have it in black, too. So it wont look "new"

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually am considering selling my phoenix Bakelite slant. It isn't for me.

aquaholic2491

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those Astra's are the ones I have been using which have been working very well for me.
i use the astras when i want to get 100% baby face smooth because going over my face multiple times with feathers result in walking around with a bleeding face. Lately I just make one pass with the feather and go, not many ladies touching my face at the moment:(

VU Sponsors