Anxiety

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
oh gawd, you shouldn't encourage me! lol.

"...recognizing it [those layers of crappy on crappy] starting to creep in and being able to cut it off are two different things."

They sure as hell are. I had insights as a child that I still can't reliably put into action--which is to say, I can't make them stick as emotional truth. Like, for a quick instance, I smoked for 30 years, knowing full well it was ravaging my body. I wasn't exactly happy about that. The psychological beat-down we take from ourselves for living in a contradiction like that is f*cking brutal. Most smokers could give a lecture on the dangers entailed with smoking, but letting that "knowledge" penetrate to the point where they simply have to stop is another thing entirely. That's what I meant about walking the walk.
Knowing something is not the same as KNOWING something. There's different kinds of knowing, I guess, and and all the great advice in the world is worthless if you can't fully take it on board.

Your also right about real cigs containing some other very addictive substances besides NIC , i never felt like killing people when i couldn't vape for 10 min.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is tangential, but whenever I think about this stuff--knowing vs. knowing vs. knowing, etc--I'm reminded of a certain math riddle. It's a logic puzzle that took me forever to solve when someone posed it to me years ago. (I'll ask it below just for kicks, in case anyone is interested). When I finally did get it, I was so proud of myself. The riddle itself contains all the information to get the right answer, but it took me forever. Then later--and here's the point-- when I was asking the riddle to someone else, I realized that even though I technically knew the answer (the answer is just a certain phrase which I knew from memory) I had to twist my brain again almost as hard as the first time to actually "re-know" it--to know why or how it was true, I guess. And to this day, I still have to make a great, heaving effort to actually *solve* the thing, instead of just reciting the answer.

I always think there must be some kind of wise comparison to be made here between this phenomenon and the weird human conundrum of knowing something intellectually but not being able to take it in in a way that is meaningful for one's life. If there is, I don't know exactly what it is or how to make it... but I just always think of it.

Anyway, here's the riddle (just for fun--don't let's get anxious about it :) ):

There are two guards who stand at a fork in the road which leads on to two unmarked paths. One of these paths leads to freedom and the other to death. The two guys, one a knave, the other a knight, look just alike--so you don't know who is who--but you do know this: knaves ALWAYS lie and knights ALWAYS tell the truth.

You'd like to determine which path to continue on, and luckily you have the chance to ask one of the guards ONE yes-or-no question.

What is the question you should ask to find out definitively which path is which?

(It's kind of fun to try to figure it out and you only don't know the answer once--so if you already know it..shhh!)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your also right about real cigs containing some other very addictive substances besides NIC , i never felt like killing people when i couldn't vape for 10 min.

I know, right? TBH, I'm almost as obsessive about vaping as I am--was--about smoking. But not quite!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Would the other guy say this is the path to freedom?

omg, that was fast! DING! DING! Did you figure that out so fast? It took me ages. You should know for sure if you have the answer. Do you want to say why that gives you the answer?

let's see, the liar would answer that question in such and such way...the truth-teller would answer it in such and such a way, and from that information you conclude...?

(I should've known in a vaping forum full of people who are good at rotating objects in their minds and mechanical thinking, this would be a cinch)

Last edited:

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went through 6 scenarios where they say the same thing. Had to find something they would say different. Then fit it to the answer to the question. I used to do well on IQ tests but no way in hell would I take one on a Friday night. HOWEVER, I did just build my first 1.5 ohm coil for my IGO-W4. MVP2 on max watts makes me almost understand the big deal on my mother's milk similar DIY. But at 24mg I had to switch to 0mg Blueberry NicQuid. Yuuuuck. Need to buy some FA fruits.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, so you got it. Either guard will basically point you to the road to death if you ask them "what will the other guy say if I ask him which is the road to freedom"--and from there you know where to go. It's always clear in my mind for a few fleeting seconds, and then my brain goes all dyslexic on it again, lol.

Wow, you're really taking it all on. 30 days and you're building your own low ohm builds and DIY'ing already? I waited months & months before I even bought my first DIY stuff and I was dying to do it--it just felt like a big investment & such... Then I sat around feeling overwhelmed by all my supplies for a few weeks after that and am just now dipping my toes in, mixing recipes now. Kudos, man--you're on the fast track of a steep learning curve!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's good to have something to focus on that doesn't suck. And cigarettes cost money too... easy to forget with all the potential expense of vaping, I know.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I waited months & months before I even bought my first DIY stuff and I was dying to do it--it just felt like a big investment & such... Then I sat around feeling overwhelmed by all my supplies for a few weeks after that and am just now dipping my toes in, mixing
Big investment means nothing to me. Very irresponsible

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I see what you meant.
But I think it's debatable--both the idea of irresponsibility in general and in this specific instance. For example, I was feeling sort of "irresponsible" for having spent all this money and not getting right to work on making something happen with it... Or I feel like I should be building my own coils more, to save money, that sort of thing.
But, ok, if you insist!
٩◔̯◔۶ You're irresponsible :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have this odd angry reaction to mouthsounds (or "loudchews", as @VHfan called them, lol)--but not all the time. If I'm already irritable, or annoyed by the person (or upset with them generally or whatever), the chewing suddenly becomes an issue. I doubt it's actually misophonia for me, but there must be some biological basis for why mouthsounds can be so aggravating sometimes.

Oh, yeah- well I see according to Wiki that

"Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a rare neuropsychiatric disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds..." And that the word "is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity".

But also that:

" A 2014 study conducted at the University of South Florida found that 20% of the almost 500 participants had misophonia-like symptoms."

Garry Getchell

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
V
I have this odd angry reaction to mouthsounds (or "loudchews", as @VHfan called them, lol)--but not all the time. If I'm already irritable, or annoyed by the person (or upset with them generally or whatever), the chewing suddenly becomes an issue. I doubt it's actually misophonia for me, but there must be some biological basis for why mouthsounds can be so aggravating sometimes.

Oh, yeah- well I see according to Wiki that

"Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a rare neuropsychiatric disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds..." And that the word "is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity".

But also that:

" A 2014 study conducted at the University of South Florida found that 20% of the almost 500 participants had misophonia-like symptoms."
Very interesting.

VU Sponsors