Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Wotofo Recurve RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Wotofo Recurve RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Wotofo Recurve RDA is the latest RDA from popular vape manufacturer wotofo. They are one of the biggest names in vaping although personally i found a lot of their products to be subpar in the past. The recurve is designed in conjunction with one of the more popular vape reviewers as well in mike vapes so it’s been really hyped up between the 2 big brands coming together. It’s a single coil RDA with included squonk pin and the name recurve comes from the concave design of the top cap over a traditional top cap that is straight giving it a nice unique look. It’s available in 6 colors Silver, Black, Gunmetal, Gold, Blue, and Rainbow and is available at elementvape for 24.95 so a good price point as well.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Collaboration between Wotofo & Mike Vapes
  • 24mm Diameter
  • Deep Juice Well
  • Superior 316 Stainless Steel Construction
  • Bow-Shaped Wall Sleeve Design
  • Unique Postless, Four Terminal Build Deck
  • Top-Secured via Hex Screw
  • Single Coil Configurations
  • PEEK Insulators
  • Six Tiny Air Slots on Each Side - Side Airflow Control
  • Two Directional Airflow
  • Direct-to-Coil Chamber Effect
  • 810 Delrin Wide Bore Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • Squonk-Ready Bottom-Feeding 510 Pin
  • 24K Gold-Plated 510 Connection
  • Available in Stainless, Black, Gold, Gunmetal, Rainbow, Blue
Included in box:
  • 1 ReCurve RDA
  • 1 Spare 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 1 Set of Comp Wire Coils
  • 1 Japanese Cotton Pad
  • Spare Parts Bag
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RDA I was pretty impressed with the quality on the top cap. Most wotofo products have poor quality parts in the past even the recent nudge 22 which had a really thin cheap feeling top cap, but the recurve is night and day. It’s got some weight to it and is pretty thick as well as the coloring which is beautiful on the blue on i have where the nudge 22 looked kinda dull and cheap. I do love a postless deck which is always nice to see. The drip tip is on the loose side which i didn’t care for as much and it didn’t take long for me to see the post screws again are poor quality. The main quality issues these days with wotofo that really need to be addressed are post screws, top caps (RDAs), and Glass (RTAs and tanks) all 3 are way below par for the price part when compared with similar priced companies products. Overall though it was a mixed bag of good bad.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s made for single coils only. It’s a pretty standard postless deck but it has 4 post holes on it which i’m glad they did because the post screws are terrible. Low quality phillips head screws and one of mine is jammed in there but thankfully because it has 4 post holes i didn’t need to use that one. After this review i’ll get it out and replace all the post screws personally with better ones. They include 2 tools for building your coil which is great. They are angled bars that look like allen keys but smooth and round and you use the bent part for your lead cutting. I think this was a great idea and makes cutting your coil leads correctly easily. Personally i found it to perform best if you cut the leads a little longer than the guide bars tell you too and to use the larger ID bar and center your coil. Overall it’s a nice build deck that’s easy to build on thanks to the included tools you just need to go a little longer on the leads then they suggest, use the thicker tool, and the post screws are bad.

Wicking on it is quite easy. There really isn’t a juice well and it’s an RDA so just drop it to the sides so that they are touching the bottom of the deck

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Single coil RDA only. I ran 4 builds in this RDA. 3 fancy single coil builds and 1 simple round build using 24G SS316 wire. All the builds were done with the ID of the 2 included tools which are 3mm and 2.5mm ID. Overall i found the flavor to be best using the larger tool (3mm ID), as many wraps as you can fit on the deck and cutting the leads slightly longer than the tool tells you too. It worked ok with the simple round but really shined with the fancier builds and it’s best used at 40 or more watts. It’s DTL vaping but not really as airy as it looks and slightly restricted. Overall i found the flavor to be good, above average for a single coil RDA and right on par with a lot of the better ones.

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It has side airflow on both sides of the coil that goes through the holes in the deck and uses the ramp like design of the kylin mini RTA. each side has 6 small air holes in 2 rows of 3. They close off 2 at a time vertically. It’s a DTL but not very airy wide open a slightly restricted DTL. you can use 2 or 4 air holes on each side for a more restrictive vape but personally i liked it best wide open. AFC is adjusted by spinning the whole top cap and it’s on a stopper. It’s a little harder to adjust then i’d like personally but not bad at all. It’s easy to open but closing it can start unscrewing the RDA off your mod instead at times. Also worth noting is the “fully open” side isn’t really fully open but slightly off so you’ll need to adjust it just a little bit from there. Not a big deal but worth the mention.

It comes with a standard 810 friction fit resin drip tip that matches the color of the RDA (except for black which has a red tip and SS which has a blue tip) as well as a clear 810 tip i believe is PMMA but not 100% sure on that. They also include a 510 adapter. Both tips feature a curved in design like the shape of the top cap itself giving it a unique look. The resin tip is really loose for my liking, the PMMA tip is a little better but i found it fits other 810 drip tips much snugger like they should. It feels like their drip tips are a little bit too small

The quality on the Wotofo Recurve RDA is a mixed bag. The o-rings feel a little too big so the top cap is not easy to pop on and off which is also why the AFC adjust isn’t that easy to adjust to close it down but is fine to adjust to open it up. The top cap itself is great quality, has some weight to it and the coloring is excellent. It’s a big step up in that category from their nudge 22 RDA released before this one. The post screws however are pure garbage phillips head screws and not even grub screws. They include plenty of spares but they are all bad. They really need to start using better post screws. One of mine came stuck into the deck and won’t come out as well but since there are 4 post holes it wasn’t a major deal in this case but they really need to fix stuff like that. I haven’t had those issues with any other companies. Only wotofo. I also seen a pic online a while back of someone who claimed their coil cut into the build deck. I tried to replicate that but was unsuccessful and my coils didn’t bend into the deck at all and cut through it. It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin. I used it both as a dripper and squonker. The juice well is pretty much non existent so it doesn't work well as a dripper at all. It should be used as a squonker only where It has good over squonk protection.

It’s a 24mm diameter so should it will not overhang on most mods on the market today. I also seen they are coming out with 22mm caps as well. There is plenty of spare o-rings and spare post screws. I also experienced no issue with whistling on the airflow either, it’s smooth but a little noisey. Not bad by any means but not quiet either. Branding is a little in your face for my liking. Not a big deal but they have the word recurve in giant print on one side in silver engraved and it takes away from the nice blue finish on mine. If it wasn’t silver and engraved in the matching color instead I wouldn’t mind it but not a fan of the silver giant logo. It’s also very rough on that part and takes a lot away from the looks and feel. It would have been better without it. It also comes with 3 premade coils and while they aren’t labeled on the bag, their site states the specs and they are ni80 quad core fused claptons. I’m glad they say on the site but would have liked it labeled on the bag as well. They also include cotton too so you are pretty much set on coils and cotton for a few weeks out of the box. I didn’t use them so can't say if they are good but they look good enough.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 tips (resin and clear PMMA) and 510 adapter included
  • standard 510 pin and squonk pin included
  • good protection for over squonking
  • Good flavor
  • Good Price point
  • nice build deck
  • included tools for wrapping your coils
  • 3 included coils (ni80) and cotton
  • plenty of spare o-rings and screws
  • color options
Cons:
  • Poor quality post screws
  • AFC is hard to adjust
  • Included drip tips are a little too loose but other 810 tips fit fine
  • branding is too in your face
  • lack of juice well makes it not good as a dripper
  • o-rings are a bit tight making the top cap hard to get off
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one is gonna be split a little. I wouldn’t recommend it as a dripper but as a squonker i’m gonna lean a little towards the yes because it does perform well and the quality is mostly decent enough. I can't lean heavily towards the yes though until they fix their quality issues. Still with that said at the price point it’s a good performing RDA that looks nice and worth a look if you are in the market for a single coil RDA to put on a squonk mod in a lot of color options. I’ll be adding this to my sheet.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

It can be purchased here for 24.95 in the USA https://www.elementvape.com/wotofo-x-mike-vapes-recurve-24mm-bf-rda

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

WotofoOfficial

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Sponsor
Thx for the review . And we will check out the issue as you said.
And have you seen our new 22 mm caps for the recurve ? May i know your opinions ?
Thx in advance!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thx for the review . And we will check out the issue as you said.
And have you seen our new 22 mm caps for the recurve ? May i know your opinions ?
Thx in advance!
I've seen the caps but haven't tried one to judge it

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
well let us know what you think about it when you get the chance to try
I doubt I'll buy one to try it but if I ever do I'll let you know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree on the screws, I replaced them with grubs from the OG Boreas before I put the first coil in. Junk.

The fitment with the DT was solved by using a bit of dental floss under the oring in the top cap. Snug now.

I absolutely love the recurve and have the smoke 22mm cap on the way. Not a fan of metal caps even though my blue cap is a looker it will be replaced in about a week.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Agree on the screws, I replaced them with grubs from the OG Boreas before I put the first coil in. Junk.

The fitment with the DT was solved by using a bit of dental floss under the oring in the top cap. Snug now.

I absolutely love the recurve and have the smoke 22mm cap on the way. Not a fan of metal caps even though my blue cap is a looker it will be replaced in about a week.
yeah replaced mine as well and just use the clear tip. these are easy fixes though the manufacturer should make prior to shipping

screw size is
2.5x4

2nd smallest ones from this kit i have here https://www.fasttech.com/products/4492300

that kit is well worth it for situations like that for people that have a lot of rebuildable atomizers

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, not sure how someone at the factory used those screws and thought... yeah... that's good.
You would think with the numbers of this topper they were going to throw out in the market, someone would have double checked on the DT fitment and changed the oring order before the first run but they are not alone. More manufacturers miss that QC than should.

Still in love with it though :inlove: lol.

WotofoOfficial

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Sponsor

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thank you SirRichardRear. We have feedback to our engineers to find can we update the drip tips producing or raw material.
Thanks! any word on the post screws as well? it's been an issue in all of your atomizers. are there any plans to use better ones?

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got mine last night. I got it in gold which is quite lovely imo. I agree about the DT. Unfortunate. My typical fix is to take a razor blade to the material which barely deforms the plastic, but usually just enough to create a tighter fit. If you understand what I'm saying I prefer it to using floss. Just personal preference. I've only installed one coil, no problems with the screws. Yet.

I like the rda (as an rsa) enough to recommend it to my gf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
d95bfb9f2c214d046a30791bc9024355.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I just got mine last night. I got it in gold which is quite lovely imo. I agree about the DT. Unfortunate. My typical fix is to take a razor blade to the material which barely deforms the plastic, but usually just enough to create a tighter fit. If you understand what I'm saying I prefer it to using floss. Just personal preference. I've only installed one coil, no problems with the screws. Yet.

I like the rda (as an rsa) enough to recommend it to my gf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
d95bfb9f2c214d046a30791bc9024355.jpg
nice!

VU Sponsors