Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Wotofo Elder Dragon RDA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Wotofo Elder Dragon RDA, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Wotofo Elder Dragon / Ryujin RDA is the latest RDAs from very popular vape manufacturer Wotofo. They really don’t need any introduction and have been one of the most popular atomizer makers in vaping for the past 3-4 years. Personally i find them to be hit and miss. They’ve made some good stuff in 2018 like the recurve RDA, profile RDA, and Faris RDTA but also made some stinkers like the Serpent Elevate RTA, Warrior RDA, and Flux Kit. So much like life they are to me a box of chocolates and you never know what you are going to get. The Elder Dragon / Ryujin RDA has 2 names for some reason but i’ll refer to it as the elder dragon going forward and is a Single coil DTL RDA with an included squonk pin and designed in collaboration with popular Japanese youtube reviewer Ryusei Sakaue. It’s available in 6 colors SS, Black Gunmetal, Blue, Rainbow, and Gold.Looking around online i see them in the 20-35 USD price range and Elementvape has them for 28.95 in the US.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 22mm Diameter
  • Deep Juice Wells
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Quad Build Deck - 4 Open Terminals
  • Side Secured via Phillips Screws
  • Single Coil Configuration
  • Bulbous Adjustable Airflow Top Cap
  • Unique Shaped Top Cap for Easy Adjustment
  • Build Deck Airflows Vent Directly at Coil
  • 810 Wide Bore Resin Drip Tip
  • Detachable Structure
  • Gold-Plated 510 Squonk BF Pin
  • Gold-Plated 510 Connection
  • Available in Silver, Black, Blue, Gold, Rainbow, and Gunmetal
Included in box:
  • 1 Elder Dragon 22mm RDA
  • 1 810 Drip Tip
  • 1 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • 2 Clapton Coils
  • 1 Coil Lead Guide
  • 1 Screwdriver and Allen Wrench
  • 1 User Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RDA well I thought probably what a lot of people were thinking, it’s an ugly odd looking RDA. Doesn't bother me much, but would probably explain why i haven’t seen much hype on this when most of their products get hyped up. Nonetheless that didn’t really concern me as i’m more focused on the performance, quality and ease of use since looks are very subjective. I did like the airflow design and the deck as well so slapped a build in and started the review process

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It is a postless deck which at this point, is quite a popular style and everyone has probably seen one before and many have used them. Personally I love postless decks. They used to have a learning curve before but now thanks to many companies including a tool to help you precut your leads the learning curve is pretty much gone. The Elder dragon is no different. It comes with a coil lead cutting tool which is marked at 6MM which i found to be a good height as well. You can even go a little lower with a 5MM if you wanted too but really good job there with the included tool and the marking being good to make it easy to build on. There are also 4 post holes as well so you can wrap your coil either way and still install it easily. The post screws are good enough quality flat head.phillips combo screws. They only include 2 spares that are the same. I wish they would use better quality screws and use hex grub and flat head grub instead but the screws are good enough that i can’t complain but could be better. Overall it’s a nice deck that’s easy to build on.

Wicking on it is quite easy. It’s an RDA so nothing fancy just drop your wick leads to the bottom.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a Single Coil RDA only as intended. I ran 4 builds in this 1 fancy 3mm ID build, 1 fancy 3.5 mm ID build, 1 fancy 4mm ID build and 1 simple round 3mm ID build. For size I found it best to use 3-3.5MM ID (4 works good too but a little of a tight squeeze depending on your wire type) and as many wraps as you can fit in. Performance wise it’s a really good RDA. It’s not great with round wire, but with a fancy build it outperforms the recurve for sure and is pretty close to the Asmodus C4 and Cthulhu Mjölnir RDA (which i designed) which are my currant 2 favorite ones. I wouldn’t say it’s better than those 2 but it’s pretty close performance wise making it easily a top 5 single coil RDA for flavor for me personally with a nice fancy build.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Airflow, Misc. Details, and Extras
Let’s talk about the airflow now. It’s side airflow that is angled down through a block to be really low side almost bottom airflow based on coil position with 2 small circle holes on each side. You can adjust it by spinning the top cap but sadly it doesn't offer any meaningful adjustments really though and is just best used wide open. So it’s easy to adjust but also pointless to adjust. Fully open it’s a bit restrictive of a DTL vape. I didn’t get any whistle but it’s very turbulent and noisey which may bother some people. The top cap locks into place to make it easy to screw on and off your mod which is nice. The top cap is really nice and easy to get on and off and handles chain vaping well without getting hot.

It comes with 2 standard drip tips, one is a Resin friction fit 810 tip (color vaires based on color of RDA. my SS one came with a blue one that’s nice) and one is a smokey likely PMMA or PC friction fit 810 tip, and they include a delrin 510 adapter as well. No 510 tip though but not a big deal. 2 Tips and an adapter is good in my book. The Drip tips all fit very well in the RDA. snug, not loose, not tight. You can use your own as well and most should work just fine. I tried a couple other 810 tips with no issues personally. The quality on the Wotofo Elder Dragon RDA is good. The o-rings for the top cap onto the base feel right and the top cap is snug but not tight. Very easy to take apart with no issues. The post screws are just ok quality and could be better but not bad and only 2 spare screws are included (all screws are the same flat/phillips combo screws). It comes with a standard 510 pin and a BF 510 pin like most RDAs these days as well.

The juice well is a decent sized well. Not small, but not large either. Due to the airflow being kind of high up on the side you get some extra room there. The over squonk protection and Over drip protection is pretty good. I used it as both a dripper and a squonker. It works best as a squonker. It’s an ok dripper but depending how big your coils are and how thick your juice is, when dripping juice can get stuck between the air tubes and the coil and can't make it’s way down to the well good enough so I think it’s much better as a squonker and not really a good dripper but if you build 3mm ID coils it an work well as a dripper too.

It’s a 22mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods on the market today. There is 2 spare o-rings and 2 spare post screws for it (should have been 4 though for a full set of screws), 1 allen wrench, 1 screwdriver, and a 510 tip adapter, a coil cutting tool, 2 coils and 2 pieces of cotton so good amount of accessories overall minus needed 2 more screws. The coils are also clearly labeled, i love how wotofo labels their coils clearly, all companies should do this. They are N80, 3mm ID, Tri Core fused claptons 26x3+38 , 5 wraps, .17 ohms, rated for 40-75 watts. Branding is quite nice as well. There is no visible branding on the outside so well done there.

Pros:
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips (Resin and smokey) and 510 adapter
  • standard positive and squonk pin included
  • 1 set of spare o-rings included
  • Color Options (6)
  • Good over squonk protection
  • good build quality overall
  • Price point (under 30 USD)
  • Good Size Juice Well
  • stopper locks cap into place to make it easy to get on and off mods
  • Great easy to build on build deck
  • great flavor with larger builds
  • included coil lead cutting tool
  • included clearly labeled coils and cotton
  • nice lack of branding
  • AFC is easy to adjust
  • Top cap doesn't get hot when chain vaping
Cons:
  • a bit lacking in flavor for simple round builds
  • a little funky looking
  • AFC doesn't offer much meaningful adjustment
  • post screw quality could be better
  • only half a set of post screw spares included
  • does not work great as a dripper depending on build
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDA or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one i have to lean towards the yes. It’s not perfect or the best but with the right build it’s a great performer as a squonker for less than 30 bucks. I’d also say overall it’s the best atomizer from wotofo to date and does beat out their recurve and nudge 22 RDAs as well, so well done by the reviewer who designed this. If you are in the market for a single coil squonking RDA it’s well worth looking at if you don’t mind the looks. I will be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Wotofo

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors