Anthony Vapes: Wismec Predator 228 review and tech test

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review(and video link here
) for my honest review of the Wismec Predator. No disclaimer will be needed, I purchased this myself vapenw for 40 bucks.

So without further ado, lets jump into this mod Introduction: The Wismec Predator 228 is a dual battery made with a similar design as the Alien and named aptly to compete with it. It comes in 5 colors: white, red, gold, silver, and black. (Note that five new colors are coming as well) It sports a fire bar and was designed by Sinuous Designs instead of the usual Jaybo designed mod.

Manufacturers Specs:
Size:43.62986.7mm
Wattages range:1W-228W -
Temperature range:100°C-300°C / 200°F-600°F
Max output current:50A
Modes:POWER SS Ti Ni200 TCR
Resistance range:0.05Ω-1.5Ω Coil
Output Voltage .5-9V
Supporting:Kanthal/Titanium/Ni200/SS(304/316/317)/TCR

Testing Results
Chart Link: http://i.imgur.com/Nm4Gpra.png
Spreadsheet link: http://i.imgur.com/HkqrtZq.png

Summary
Basic thoughts. One thing I want to start off with is how Wismec/Joyetech always lists their dual battery mods at a 50 amp limit. That is incorrect their dual mods cut off around 36 amps. In triple batt mods (tested with the hedron) 44 amps and the RX300 quad mod cut off at around 54 amps. So while their chip can do 50 amps in a quad battery set up, none of their dual battery mods will output even 40. 36-37 has been the max for them. Wish they would stop advertising what the chip can do in quad battery mods when it’s installed in a dual battery mod. I’ve seen too many people believe the amp ratings and use it as a reason to purchase over a company who doesn’t lie and say their mod is a 35 or 40 amp limit. Outside of that, it is a very inconsistent mod, usually hitting weaker but it varies. This has been a theme for all the wismec/joyetech chips I tested, I tend to believe it could be more then poor 510 pins causing a bad connection then the chip itself. While it doesn’t hit 228 it does hit over 200 so I’ll give it a pass for that but It’s still an overall fail mostly due to the inconsistent output, but also because the overstated amp limit.

Temperature Control
Using SS wire in SS mode, I couldn’t even really test this mod in temp control. My first one was too inconsistent, I sent it in for warranty (FYI vapenw has excellent service), got my replacement, it worked good for a couple of days, and then went to crap. By the time it came around to actually test, the mod won’t even stay in TC mode anymore, in normal use when it doesn’t kick me out it’s still inconsistent. It’s a huge fail and even loading AF won’t fix because it’s a hardware issue.

Overall Impressions
I’ve had this mod for about a month now (I like to be thorough with my reviews) Within a few days of having it, I seen the issues. I did try to warn people of it but it fell on deaf ears as popularity took over. Plus many reviewers rushed theirs and put out positive reviews and had to go take it back, at the end of the day it’s just another poor quality mod in a long line of them for the wismec brand. Which is really a shame because outside the 1 major design flaw, it really is a nice mod. It’s a shame wismec cares more about saving a few cents over putting out a quality product. Their corner cutting is the only thing holding them back from having some killer mods. I also think they need to update their menu a bit and make it more intuitive. What I will give them credit for is their website and firmware upgrades. If this mod had a solid 510 it would be a killer mod. The looks and feel is great, AF can make it a killer TC device. But due to the major flaw this is a throwaway dud to me

Pros:
  • Looks and Color Options
  • Big screen with lots of info
  • Battery door
Cons:
  • Terrible 510 pin design
  • Temp control performance
  • Watt mode performance (inconsistent)
  • 36 amp limit (They Claim 50)
  • The mod autofired on me twice.
  • Wismecs lack of a decent response on the issues
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this one leans heavily towards the no. The poor quality of the 510 pin and their lack of effort in addressing the issue is saddening. Due to that major flaw I can’t recommend anyone to buy this. Not really much more to say on this mod other then it’s not worth looking at.

I want to thank you guys for reading (or watching or both). Stay tuned later this week when I do a face off between the Predator, Alien, As always this is Anthony Vapes and I’m just keeping it honest.

Hopefully you all can say you are doing the same and I’ll see you on the next review Videos coming this week on my channel

05-18: Alien V Predator V Kaos face off
05-19: Quad Battery Mod Face off

Some upcoming reviews: Smoant Charon, Geekvape Mech Pro, SMoant Mobula, Aspire Archon, Voo Poo Drag, Pharaoh RTA, Aspire Cleito Exo, Kaos Erebus 25mm RTA, Envii Terra Octo RTA, Ijoy Lux, and many more. If you know a product you’d like to see me review, feel free to ask

VU Sponsors