VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Wake Mod Company Wake RTA

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Introduction:
The Wake RTA is a newer RTA from new company Wake Mod Company. At first look many will think it looks like a Dotmod product and for good reason, The designers of the wake RTA used to design for Dotmod but wound up leaving and starting their own company this time making their products more affordable. You can easily see the similarities between the Wake and the Dotmod Petri RTA. It’s a nice looking small 24mm RTA made for dual coils with a postless deck. It’s availble in 5 colors, Gold, Black, Red, Blue, and Lime Green.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 3.3mL Juice Capacity
  • Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
  • Matte Anondized Aluminum Material - Top Cap & Airflow Ring
  • 24K Gold-Plated Interior Elements
  • Innovative Postless, Quad Terminal Design
  • Two PEEK-Insulated Positive Terminal Posts
  • Two Negative Terminal Posts
  • 2.5mm by 2mm Terminal Openings
  • 24K Gold-Plated Floating Deck
  • Single or Double Coil Configurations
  • Dual Elevated Internal Airtubes
  • Dual 5-Hole Precision Airflow Control
  • Convenient Threaded Top-Fill Design
  • Acrylic Widebore Drip Tip
  • Gold-Plated Copper 510 Contact Pin
  • Available in Gold, Black, Blue, Red, Lime Green
Included in box:
  • 1 Wake RTA
  • 1 Screwdriver
  • 1 Spare Glass Tube
  • Spare Parts & O-Rings
Pictures:
Stock Shot Colors:
wake_24mm_rta_by_wake_mod_co._-_postless.jpg

Stock Shot Disassembled:
Wake-RTA-Wake-Mod-Co-Black-with-deck.jpg

Build and Wick Pics:

eoJF728.jpg

DV1onnL.jpg

4Cs1f7h.jpg

Pics on mods:

USNUSjc.jpg

j9Ozdj8.jpg

E3LT9T1.jpg

Handchecks:

jM9GWln.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA I was pretty happy with the design of it. It’s the kind of RTA that’s right up my alley. Nice build deck, bottom air, and looks great. It’s got 5 little airholes on the bottom that are adjustable that can bring it all the way down to a loose MTL vape and fully open to a DTL vape but not very airy. Right on the border of RLH and DTL In my opinion. It’s a mostly gold RTA with the color being on the bottom and top parts only where gold is kind of the signature color of the designers of this RTA. The clear drip tip is cool but sadly proprietary. I got the green one and would have loved to use a green Drip tip with it. Overall though I did like it from the start.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty standard postless deck not much more to say about it. Personally I love postless decks, but they arne’t the bets for new builders as you do need to pre-cut your leads. It’s bottom airflow so you’ll want the coils to sit low. Each coil has it’s own square arihole. Each lead obviously gets their own hole and you can installed each coil by itself. The post holes however are quite small. I can fit in the fancy flat wires like the staggered fused and quad core fused from AVS, but thicker wires could have issues. I doubt you could fit a twisted 22G build in it. The holes are wide but not very tall. By default it comes with good quality hex screws which are my favorites. Pictured above you’ll see a build of 3mm. That’s the largest I went with. It’s possible to fit a 3.5-4mm ID coils in but you don’t want to go too big because there isn’t a lot of air either. Personally i’d recommend 2.5mm to 3mm ID as the best sizes. Overall a very nice build deck with a few quirks that could be difficult for new builders

Wicking is pretty easy overall like most postless decks. The wick holes are large with plenty of room for cotton. Pictured above was the best way I’ve found in doing it personally. THin out the leads, angle cut the cotton then tuck in the cut parts and cut off the excess on the outside the install the chamber over it. Was easily able to chain vape and got no leaks or flooding.

Performance
You can also run it in single coil as well but the air won’t line up very good so I used it as a dual coil RTA only. I only ran 4 builds in this. It’s a pretty straightforward RTA. 3 different fancy ones (2 at 3mmID 1 at 2.5mm ID) and 1 simple round build (3mm ID) I found it worked good with all the builds. 3mm is the max i’d recommend for this RTA. The deck pretty much automatically lines up the coils for you over the air so no need to worry there. It’s a bottom airflow so just put the coils as low as you can without touching. I prefer the 3mm ones personally but the smaller 2.5MM one was still really good as well. Overall the flavor was well above average for a dual coil RTA. It has a decent amount of air almost borderline RLH when fully open. You can close it down to a RLH with 2-4 holes open and with 1 hole it’s a loose MTL vape. The air isn’t very quiet but it’s not overly loud however once you get to 4 holes or less, you’ll get an annoying whistle. I preferred it fully open (5 holes). This RTA doesn't need a ton of watts. I found around 40-60 to be ideal with air fully open. You can probably push up to 80ish but after that the air isn’t there to support it. You probably could go lower if you shut the air down a lot but really if that’s what you want there are RTAs made for that so i wouldn’t try it on this one personally. Plus it’ll whistle

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA and the AFC is smooth and it’s on a stopper, It’s also really easy to adjust even when on a mod. There is some nice texture for grip on it. On of the easiest AFC i’ve felt in a long time. It has a standard top full where you unscrew the top cap and expose the 2 large fill holes. The top cap has some texture on it as well and is easy to grip and unscrew. It’s easy to fill with any bottle type or just pouring juice right in. I’ve used 70/30, 80/20 and “max VG” juices in it. All of them worked well. Sadly for the drip tip, it’s proprietary where it goes over a stub on the top cap like the intrepid, fireluke, and several aspire tanks. I would have preferred an 810 with 510 adapter, but the clear tip is pretty nice. The quality is excellent especially all the threading. I don’t use the term “buttery smooth” very often as i see it as an over the top adjective used in lazy reviews on everything like velvety clouds or hits hard and other terms with no meaning, however in this case i’ll make an exception. The threading is phenomenal. It’s easy to take apart due to the excellent threading and texture everywhere you would need to grip.

It’s a 24mm diameter so should not overhang on most mods The 3.3ml capacity is IMO way too small for a dual coil RTA however. I would have liked a bigger capacity personally. At least 5ml would have been better. There is no JFC on this RTA. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well. Another feature of this RTA, is that the deck is removable and you can install premade coils in it as well. The same coils from the wake Sub Ohm Tank. Which makes me wonder why the sub ohm tank exists and that they didn’t just package the coil with the RTA and market it as an RTA with option for premade sub ohm coils. I don’t have any of the coils to test their worth. It’s not the first atomizer to do that, but it is a cool feature that pretty rare. We see subohm tanks with an RBA deck, but it’s odd to see an RTA with optional coil. There is no visible branding on the outside of the RTA

Pros:
  • Build Quality especially the threading
  • Top Fill
  • good quality hex post screws
  • price point
  • color options
  • Great Flavor
  • AFC is smooth and on a stopper
  • no leaks
  • Optional subohm premade coils
  • Nice postless deck
  • Classy look
Cons:
  • small capacity (3.3ml)
  • Proprietary drip tip
  • Post holes may be small for some builds
  • whistles if you turn down the air
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean towards the yes. Especially if you are a mid watt range vaper in the 40-60ish range. The flavor is excellent for that range. I’m vaping the build above at 60 watts currently and getting really good flavor. It’s not perfect and has a few minor cons but it pumps out flavor and looks great. For new builders i’d suggest something easier to build on then a postless deck however. I’ll be adding this to my list as a dual coil RTA.

It can be purchased here for 32.95 in the US

Official Site here

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree 3.3ml is not enough capacity, like you I think 5ml would have been much better. Great detailed review Anthony! Thanks!

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I agree 3.3ml is not enough capacity, like you I think 5ml would have been much better. Great detailed review Anthony! Thanks!
thanks! and yeah i really think tanks should have 5ml minimum for dual coil or 3ml minimum for single coil. some of these mini RTAs need to be refilled like an RDA LMAO

VU Sponsors