Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Voopoo Rimfire RTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Voopoo Rimfire RTA. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Voopoo Rimfire RTA is the latest and as far as i can tell, the first RTA from very popular vape company Voopoo. They have been losing some popularity lately and in 2018 just had an ok year. A bit up and down with some misses like the panda and drag 2, but did make a pretty good drag mini and a really good and very underrated RDA in the pericles. The RImfire was a 2018 release so i am a little LTTP here. The Rimfire RTA is a 26mm diameter dual coil RTA with a top airflow channeled down to the bottom. It’s available in 4 colors Black, Red, Gold, and Silver. Elementvape has them in the US for 31.95 all colors in stock except black.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 26mm Base Diameter
  • 30mm At Widest Point
  • 5mL Maximum Juice Capacity
  • Superior 304 Stainless Steel Construction
  • Pyrex Bulb Glass Reinforcement
  • User-Friendly Postless, Four Terminals Build Deck
  • Side-Secured via Flathead Screws
  • Single or Dual Coil Configuration
  • PEEK Insulated Positive Post
  • Spacious Wicking Ports
  • Adjustable E-Liquid Control
  • Dual Slotted Top Airflow Control - 12mm by 1.75mm Per Slot
  • Threaded Top-Fill System
  • 810 9mm Wide Bore Resin Drip Tip
  • Detachable Structure
  • Gold-Plated 510 Center Pin
  • Available in Gold, Black, Red, Stainless Steel
Included in box:
  • 1 RimFire RTA
  • 1 Spare Glass Tube
  • 1 T-Tool Screwdriver
  • 2 Prebuilt Coils
  • 1 Organic Cotton
  • 1 Spare Parts Bag
  • 1 User Manual
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RTA I have to say i liked the design. I know top airflow RTAs have been a bit of a trend in 2018 for the extra protection from leaks but sadly many of them had been done badly. So when i seen the design of this one i felt it could be a good option at least. Sadly that was short lived after my first build but we will get into that later. Overall though i did like it from the start though.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty standard postless deck which is a personal favorite of mine but which also means you have to precut your leads. It’s pretty much the same deck as like a kylin V2 or coil art mage V2 build wise. I think most people have seen a postless deck by this point. What it does not have though is any tools to help with this like many others do. Lots of companies are including some sort of coil guide these days to make pre-cutting your coils easy but the rimfire doesn't have one. Personally I found it best with 5mm Leads so that would be the way to go and you can even go a bit shorter if you wanted around 4mm. There are 4 post holes so each lead gets its own hole as it should be and coils can be installed 1 at a time. The screws are good quality flat head grub head screws which i prefer hex personally but no issues with the flat heads here. The post screws come in from the side so flat wire leads won’t be twisted when installing and it works great for flat and round wire coils with no issues. Overall a nice easy to build on deck but a coil lead cutting tool would have been nice

Wicking on this one is super easy. It does have a JFC (juice flow control) which is rare these days but very popular in 2017. The wick holes are quite large and you can really stuff them and would need to due to the flaw i’ll bring up later. Really hard to judge the wick efficiency though due to the flaw.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RTA as intended. You can build a single coil on this if you wanted to for some reason anyway but often running a dual coil RTA in single coil isn’t very good so i didn’t. I only ran 2 builds in it. 1 fancy build at 3mm ID and one simple round build at 4mm ID. It’s DTL and pretty airy, maybe slightly restricted compared to some but still it’s a full DTL vape. I would have ran more but the frustration of using it was too much to deal with. Performance though it did shine. Not a lot of top air dual coil RTAs as most are single but i have used the zeus dual, the themis, and the dead rabbit and this one easily bested those 3 flavorwise.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a top to bottom airflow RTA with 2 large air holes equally spaced apart that you can adjust from the outside. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. It’s easily adjustable on or off mod and has some design for grip. Very well done. The air a little loud and turbulent as well not very smooth at all but not bad. It gets really loud when closed down though and when closed past halfway starts to whistle a bit. The top fill is your standard screw off the top fill which is my favorite kind and there are 2 good size fill holes to sue any bottle type. It is very slick though so not very easy to get off. It’s also not a fill thread but more of a switchblade like style where you only need a half turn.

Now let's get to that flaw i’ve been talking about that really kills the whole RTA for me. Like many RTAs it screws apart in a few pieces. All other RTAs though use the “righty tighty lefty loosey” mantra or in other words clockwise to tighten it up. With the Rimfire however there is 1 piece in the middle that is reverse threaded. That means when you put it together the top cap portion (which includes the airflow control) gets tightened counter clockwise. So what happens on this RTA is when you put on the fill cap, or screw it on a mod, or try to close the JFC it actually loosens the entire RTA. Just installing it on a mod or filling it up for me was enough to loosen the RTA to the point where the glass no longer was snug and could be free spinned and as we all know, that can make your RTA leak. Trying to tighten it backup will either unscrew it from your mod first or start unscrewing the base. It’s a never ending cycle of frustrating that has to be done “just right” every time and you have to pay careful attention to when filling. I consider this a pretty major design flaw which makes the RTA unusable to me.

There is a good amount of accessories that come with it, mine came with a standard 810 resin friction fit drip tip (colors varies depending on color choice, i have the red one and the tip is a mixture of red and blue) but no 510 adapter or spare tip. The drip tip fits nice. Not too snug but not too loose and you can use any of your own tips 810 and 510. It’s a little disappointing though to not get a spare tip or a 510 adapter. Mine came with 2 tanks as well, both are glass bubble tanks. The RTA itself is 26mm at the base but bulges out to 30mm with the tanks. The TPD version does not have a bubble tank just 2 regular tanks. It’s a 5ml capacity which is pretty good. The Voopoo Rimfire RTA also includes plenty of extra o-rings, 4 spare post screws (all flat head grub), 1 tri tool, and 2 coils with 1 cotton pad came in mine. The coils are sadly not labeled at all so i will ding them there. They appear to be fused claptons.

The quality on the Rimfire RTA is overall good. The AFC is really nice and the threading for the top fill is good however some texture or knurling on the top cap would have made it easier to unscrew. The post screw quality is good as well. Overall it’s pretty easy to take apart but sadly too easy thanks to that middle piece being reverse threaded.

The coloring on the Red i received is nice and shiny. It’s a 26mm diameter RTA that only bulges out with the 5ml bubble glass to 30mm so it shouldn’t overhang most mods. The 5 ml capacity is good for a dual coil RTA but not great. Still pretty standard these days but i do miss the old 7-8 ml capacity dual coil RTAs though. There is a JFC and it would work well if it didn’t unscrew the tank when you tried to use it. Branding is nice and simple. Just a voopoo logo and the rimfire logo on the chamber visible through the glass like most RTAs

Pros:
  • 5 ml Bubble tank included (bubble tank only)
  • plenty of spare o-rings and 4 spare post screws
  • nice smooth AFC
  • Simple screw off top fill design
  • easy to wick/build
  • 5ml capacity with bubble tank is good
  • good flavor for a top airflow RTA
  • color options (4 total)
Cons:
  • Reverse threaded middle section
  • loud airflow and not smooth
  • only 1 drip tip and no adapter
  • included coils not clearly labeled
  • no coil lead cutting tool
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean heavy towards the no. it’s a real shame too but that 1 major design flaw killed this RTA for me. Outside of that though it’s the best performing top airflow RTA i’v used but it’s way too big of a flaw to overlook. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors