AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review
(and video link here
)

for my honest review of the VooPoo Drag Mod. I let reddit vote on which review to do today and I’m happy to say you guys chose the drag. I was hoping it would win as I love the techy reviews more than the atomizer ones personally. No disclaimer will be needed, I purchased this myself from Fasttech for 48.90 Shipped, however they are now selling it for 40 bucks so about 41.50 with upgraded shipping. So, without further ado, lets jump into this mod

Introduction:
The VooPoo Drag is a dual 18650 battery mod. Capable of 157 watts. It comes in 2 color options both have a silver frame but the choices are a black and white carbon fiber sticker or a black and red carbon fiber sticker. They claim a .025-.03 second fire delay (the mod site says .025 the chip site says .03) It sports a new chip (the gene.fun chip) which comes with a software suite to allow adjustments. Some features include a customizable screen, watt curve, temp curves, and temp control Plus your standard assortment of safety features.

Manufacturers Specs:
Power: 5-157W

Battery: 2 x 18650 (Support balance charging whatever brand batteries)

Size: 90 x 54 x 24mm

Color: Black with white / Black with red

Lowest Resistance in Power mode: 0.05Ω

Lowest Resistance in TC mode: 0.05Ω

New function: Super Mode and Power compensation mode.

TC MODE: SS, NI, TI,NC, TCR, CCR

Testing Results
Chart Link: http://i.imgur.com/KXCwvID.png

Spreadsheet link: http://i.imgur.com/SjmVegu.png

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, I must say I was impressed. The look and feel and build quality of the mod is not what you’d expect for such a cheap device. It’s got weight to it and just feels solid. The 510 pin is excellent and had a stabile resistance and stabile output for me. The screen is a pretty standard screen. Like what you’d see on a DNA chip or the smoant mods etc etc. The menu system has a bit of a learning curve but is well laid out and easy to learn and remember. It has a full watt curve mode where you can adjust your vape in 1 second intervals, Programmable on chip or through the software. You can also remove modes you don’t want, for instance I removed the Ni and Ti modes off the device. All in all, for the build quality, looks and features you wouldn’t expect this to be such a cheap mod. You would expect it to cost much more than it does.

Watt Mode Performance
First thing first, let’s address the elephant in the room. The claims .025-.03 second fire delay. It’s something I see thrown around in a lot of reviews. To me it feels way too much like a buzzword in an effort to oversell an already good mod (aka doesn’t need BS marketing stuff to sell, it should sell itself) I didn’t test the firing speed, because I found it unnecessary. This isn’t 2014, I can’t remember the last time I used a mod that had a fire delay in it. All mods nowadays fire fast. And the difference between say a .07 second and .03 second is irrelevant. Reviews that keep pumping this out sound more like shill advertisements then reviews. The only time to mention firing speed on a mod is if it has a noticeable delay. This mod does not, nor has any mod I’ve tested and reviewed. There is no fire delay in it, but same could be said for every mod I’ve reviewed. As I said, no need to mention it unless the mod has a delay, then it would be a con. I expect mods to have no fire delay now. It’s a standard thing. If you want a little fun test to test your input lag (aka reaction time) 58% of people are between .2-.35 seconds or 10 times what the chip claims and it still feels instant to us. Here is a test you can take http://www.topendsports.com/testing/reaction-timer.htm and here is the data on that results http://www.topendsports.com/testing/reactionquiz.shtml?view_results

Now with that out of the way, let’s get into some data. The watt mode performance on this chip is excellent. In the 50 watts or less at any resistance the mod was pretty much dead accurate. At 100 watts in its worst case with a .01 ohm resistance (which most mods struggle at) it was only 7 watts low. At the other resistances, no more than 4 watts off. At the 125 watts test it was 11 watts off at the .01 ohm but not more than 7 at the other resistances with the exception of the higher .52 ohm where it tapped out it’s volt limit. The mod does output it’s 157 watts and then some. Topping out at 168 watts. It also boasts a 39 amp limit (one of the best for a dual battery mod) and a 7.158 volt limit (also one of the best for a dual battery mod) For comparison with the Therion 167 (a dual 18650 mod with a 167 watt limit and one of the best and most expensive chips on the market) That chip topped out at 165 watts. At a .13 ohm (the lowest I tested and an easier resistance for accurate output) at 125 watts it was 14 watts low and at 100 watts it was 12 watts low. Overall the Performance in watt mode on the drag is very comparable to that of the DNA 250 chip in dual battery configuration. The mod also took very stable and accurate resistance readings. The connection at the 510 pin is rock solid and the output of the device is smooth and consistent. Not much more you can ask for. Overall, it’s a fantastic watt mode device.

Temperature Control
Using SS wire in SS mode (and TCR setting at 1400 which is wear it fared best) , The mod did a great job. The output at all temps was smooth and consistent. It protected from dry hits and did a good job of sucking out juice before cutting off. With the normal test builds (dual spaced SS316 28g and single spaced SS316) the performance was fantastic. It feels it hits a little on the low side about 20 degrees lower. I found it best 400-480 depending on your preference. 500 is the max before the vape starts to get way too hot. 550 will start to burn your cotton a little. With my big fancy single coils builds during my normal usage, I found the vape to be very good as well ramp up was fast and output was smooth. A very enjoyable vape. The one drawback though is the 80 watts limit which it won’t even reach with really low ohms. When you drop down below the .2ohm with large fancy coils, the watts never went over 45 watts. Meaning ramp up was non existent and took forever. Not a great vape. It’ll still protect you but the lack of a ramp up makes it not good in this situation. So overall I’d say the temp control on this device is mostly really good, the 1 exception being with big dual coils under .2 ohm the ramp up just isn’t there. The 80 watt limit which won’t use the full 80 anyway in this situation makes it a no go. All other situations though it’s great. As long as you don’t have too large of builds at too low of resistances and 80 watts can preheat your build, the vape is great. It gets a pass overall from me as most people will fit into these limits.

Overall Impressions
The performance in watt mode is one of the best I’ve personally tested. Very stable, very smooth, very consistent, and very accurate. The addition of a watt curve makes it an even better choice than an accurate mod without one. Temp control is really good in most situations. Build quality is excellent. The design is sleek and simple. I’m very impressed with this device especially at the price tag of under 50 bucks (as low as 40 bucks now) This makes it one of the best values in vaping right along the Battlestar and Charon. VooPoo might be a terrible name, but they made a fantastic mod and outdone themselves. This mod really puts ijoy, wismec, smok, joyetech etc to shame IMO. You can make a great performing, great quality mod at a budget price

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Watt Mode Performance
  • Watt curve Feature
  • Temp Mode Performance (in most situations)
  • Looks (simple and sleek design)
  • Software suite for customization
  • Good menu system with lots of on mod adjustments
  • Under 50 for me, as low as 40 bucks now
Cons:
  • Wouldn’t Update the firmware for me
  • Temp control performance in some situations (huge coils below .2ohms)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this one leans heavily towards the Yes. If you don’t do temp control it’s practically a no brainer. One of the best watt mode devices performance wide at a really budget price with a great build quality. If you do use temp control, as long as your builds aren’t as specified above it is a fantastic vape in temp control. The only reason I would say no for this mod is if you only vape in temp control with huge dual coils below .2 ohms. Outside of that this mod is pretty much a must have for all enthusiast and a great option for people looking for an upgrade to their mod or just a new mod in general This mod has been added to my google sheet of recommendations as a mid-tier temp control device and as a watt mode device (located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it. It has 3 tabs one for juice, one for mods, and 1 for attys)

As always I am Anthony Vapes and I’m just keeping it Honest, Hopefully you all can say you are doing the same and I’ll see you on the next review

Some upcoming reviews: Geekvape Mech Pro, Aspire Archon, Pharaoh RTA, Aspire Cleito Exo, Kaos Erebus 25mm RTA, Envii Terra Octo RTA, Ijoy Lux, Sense Blazer 200, Dovpo Rogue, Fuchai Duo 3, Ijoy Captain, Crow 3 sub ohm tank, Smoant Rabox, and many more. If you know a product you’d like to see me review, feel free to ask

VU Sponsors