Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Voopoo Drag 2 Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Voopoo Drag 2 mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is not marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Voopoo Drag 2 is one of the latest mods from Voopoo along with the Drag Mini both releasing at around the same time but my drag mini review won’t be for a few more weeks. Voopoo is a company that doesn't need much of an introduction these days. They came onto the vape scene with the original drag which was hugely popular albeit IMO a bit overrated but still a great budget mod for the time it came out, and since then have mostly done a good job with the mojo, too, and pericles, but kinda whiffed on the pod thing with the panda. The Voopoo Drag 2 the follow up to the original drag and is a dual 18650 mod rated at 177 watts and has a resin side panel. It’s available in 8 colors all with a black frame and the color choices are just the design and color of the resin panel which are Island, Flame, Dawn, Scarlett, Fire Cloud, Puzzle, Aurora, and Ink. Looking around online i see the kit priced around 40-55USD.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions: 88.3mm x 51mm x 26.5mm
  • Batteries Required: Dual High-Amp 18650 Battery (Sold Separately)
  • Highly Advanced GENE FIT Chip
  • Wattage Output Range: 5W - 177W
  • Voltage Output Range: 0V - 7.5V
  • Wattage Mode Resistance Range: 0.05ohm - 3.0ohm
  • Temperature Control Mode Resistance Range: 0.05ohm - 1.0ohm
  • Temperature Range: 200°F - 600°F
  • Supports Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • TCR Adjustments Mode
  • Chassis Construction: Superior Zinc Alloy
  • Resin Inlay Design
  • Intuitive OLED Display
  • Large Firing Button
  • Mode-Setting Button
  • Two Adjustment Buttons
  • Magnetized Battery Door Cover
  • Output Over-Current Protection
  • Overcharge Protection
  • Over-Discharge Protection
  • Short-Circuit Protection
  • Over Temperature Protection
  • Brand Reverse Protection
  • Micro USB Port
  • 510 Connection
Included in box:
  • 1 x DRAG 2 177W Mod By VooPoo
  • 1 x Micro USB Cord
  • 1 x User Manual
  • 1 x Warranty Card
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I wasn’t really impressed with. I wasn’t a big fan of the original design and while they did a good job making this one a little lighter and more comfy (no sharp edges!) a few things really stood out for me. It still has the ugly giant drag logo, the 510 pin is slightly raised giving the look of a gap, and my battery door has a lot of play in it. Also the screen is the same size as the original so that was disappointing to still see such small black and white screens and it’s also pretty dim. The original had a brighter screen if my memory serves me correct but it also has quite dim compared to most mods screens these days.I also noticed my screen is slightly crooked as well. The only thing i really liked form the start was the resin. I think the resin panel is beautiful and I love all the color options but outside of that wasn’t impressed with this device.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. One thing of note is i found out there was a firmware update on 12-04-18 but the mod was tested by me prior to this update being available so is on the original firmware it came with as no updates were uot at my time of testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (177), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 170 watts and 38 amps. For the rest of the testing it was low 6-10 watts at 100 or more 3 watts low at 75 but 2-3 watts high at 50 or less. At .15 it maxed out at 177 watts on the dot. The rest of the testing here was excellent always within 1 watt except at 25 where it was 2 high. For the .2 test it maxed out at 186 watts. At this resistance it hits mostly a little high but not by much 2-3 atts high except at 155 where it’s 5 high. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 91 watts and 7.574 volts. For the rest of the testing it hit high 2-4 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like many dual battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It’s pretty much an accurate mod within a couple of watts. They also got rid of all the love mode and stuff nonsense that pulsed so it provides a smooth output at higher wattages like all other mods. I wasn’t a fan of that on the alpha at all so glad they moved away from it. I was able to get 186 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 177 watts even a little underrated. Their Manual lists a volt limit of 7.5V which i’m happy they do. It’s a good rating for non boost mods and right on point with what i got (7.574) so accurately rated. Their site lists an amp limit of 40A. Kudos to them for listing all 3. On this mod and the most amps i got was 38 with a .12 ohm coil which is right around the average for a dual battery mod (average is around 40 these days) and could be a little higher as i was capped off a little by the watt limit so good rating there. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 190 watts, 7.5V and 40A. So overall good performer and accurately rated for watts, amps, and volts. It also has a watt curve mode that has 5 memory modes and works great as well. The mod also never really got hot in my stress testing and stays cool during normal usage so well done there

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits within a watt or 2 or on point. Accurately rated for watts (186), No boost circuit. Accurate rated for amps (40A rated 38A+ tested). Accurate rating for Volts (7.5 Rated, 7.574 tested). Good power curve mode.

Fit Mode and Software
The new mode they added to this mod from the original is fit mode which has 3 options labeled 1, 2, and 3. So what is fit mode? I like to keep things simple personally when explaining it so basically it’s a mode where it reads the resistance of the coil and then puts out a pre-programmed wattage amount based on that and was designed to be used with their uforce coils. Basically it’s power mode with a lack of settings. I ran a few tests and with a .15 ohm coil fit 1 was 43 watts, fit 2 was 54 watts, and fit 3 was 71 watts. With a .2 ohm coil fit 1 was 35 watts, fit 2 was 47 watts, and fit 3 was 30 watts. One of their coils the triple mesh is a .2 ohm resistance and rated best at 75-85 watts and overall rated at 65-100 watts meaning using fit mode with this will woefully underpowered the coils so i guess their idea was by underpowering the coils it’ll reduce the burnout but sadly underpowering coils like this can often lead to reduced life and flooding and possibly leaking. Overall it’s a decent idea for a kit to make life simpler for vapers however poorly executed and a useless mode

They also have their voopoo software, I was disappointed with the Vmate when the software didn’t work for it during my review and was wondering if they were decided against continuing to offer that. Thankfully the drag 2 had no issue connecting to the software as it’s been updated to work with the drag 2 already. I was able to connect no issue and remove the Ti and Ni options for TC mode and it worked great with no issues. The software is pretty basic though, but does allow you to remove modes you don’t need or want and also allows you to change the theme and to program the power curve and temp curve memories so it’s a decent software and a nice bonus so hard to complain there as most companies don’t have software to allow mod adjustments.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode, I tested 8 builds. 2 simple round single coil, 2 simple round dual Coil, 2 large fancy single coils builds, and 2 large fancy dual coil builds. The mod is again limited to 80 watts sadly which is something that needs to be addressed and most of the time won’t give 80 watts anyway. It’s dependant on resistance and the lower you go the less of that 80 watts you can get. This makes it unusable for large dual coil builds as it stands and really limits the ramp up ability on anything but a single coil build which is disappointing. Also it felt quite pulsey as well i don’t remember the original being as pulsey as this one but maybe based on the time my standards were lower with not many affordable TC options. As far as accuracy goes it does hit a bit weak and it could be adjusted and I would have played around with it more if it worked better to dial in it but as it stands their TC is behind the curve now and not really worth messing with these days. Not a mod i’d recommend for TC.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click of the fire button to turn on and off. There isn’t a true menu system per se. You use 3 clicks to cycle the modes. There is power, TC, and Fit. When selecting TC it’ll give you a choice of SS, Ti or Ni. You can enable TCR mode which i didn’t as you can adjust TCR anyway and I also removed Ni and Ti from my mod via the software so now when it cycles it just goes right to SS mode for TC. There is a sub menu for TC and power mode. I won’t bother explaining the TC mode since i’m not a fan of how this performs, but for power mode holding up and down enters the sub menu. There you can switch between power or power curve and also check your serial number and version. I wish they would use a true menu system personally like many mods these days. Down and fire flips the screen and up and fire locks the device. You can’t fire when device is locked. There is no way to lock just the adjustment buttons. Modes are power (no preheat option), Watt curve, Temp Curve Fit, and TC for Ni, Ti, and SS and TCR mode (TCR has to be enabled manually).

The Voopoo Drag 2 adjusts by 1 watt increments which i love personally but doesn't round robin and scrolls kind of slowly when held. The mod itself build quality wise is a mixed bag. There is no button rattle, The Battery door is a standard magnetic side plate and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes (2)18650 batteries. The backplate however has a lot of play in it. More than it should which i found annoying. The only good part of it, is it is coated on the inside for extra protection.

There paint on the mod is iffy at best. They all have a black frame and while the wearing on the bottom is normal i also have some chipping and scratching already on other parts as well. You can see it in the pics but this is after only 5-6 weeks of usage. I’d imagine after 3-4 months it would look pretty beat up. Not a good job on the paint at all. The resin however is nice and beautiful. I wish they used a resin door as well on the other side instead of the giant drag logo door. The fire button is good size concave circle and nice and clicky. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it and is nicely done and built however it’s slightly raised and doesn't sit flush so all atomizers appear to have a gap. The mod handles a 25mm atomizer flush with the beveled edges. The 510 is not centered for some reason it’s almost centered but still more towards the front then the back. The screen is a small black and white screen like the original drag. It’s also oddly dim. I even turned it up all the way via the software and it’s still kind of dim. The screen is disappointing for sure. I would have liked a nicer screen. Mine is also slightly crooked. Also for branding the mod itself there is the massive drag logo on the battery door so not a fan of that at all. It should have been a resin panel to match the other side. They list a charging rate of 1.8A but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods if possible so I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • Power mode performance great
  • Accurately rated for watts (186)
  • accurate rating for amps (38)
  • accurately rated for volts (7.574)
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice fire button
  • handles 25mm atomizers without overhang
  • full watt increment adjustments
  • color options (8)
  • Software to customize mod
  • watt curve mode
  • nice looking resin
  • shape and weight improvements from the V1
Cons:
  • outdated menu system
  • poor and limited TC performance
  • low watt limit in TC
  • small dim screen and mine is crooked
  • disappointing build quality
  • Iffy paint job
  • 510 pin gap
  • lots of play in battery door
  • fit mode is poorly executed and complicates mod which was the opposite of the intent
  • giant drag logo
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but i have to lean towards the no. dual 18650 mods are probably the most competitive product in vaping as there are so many good ones out there and with all the cons i can’t see a reason to buy this one. It does do a good job in power mode and the watt curve mode is great but lots of mods with those sames features and performance that don’t have the issues this mod has. The original drag was popular because it was ahead of the curve and offered good performance at a dirt cheap price, this feels overall like a step back as the curve has gone up and this feels behind it now. I’d hope voopoo reads this and takes the suggestions to heart to make a drag 3 that is much better then the 2. I don’t to reviews to trash things, reviews are good because in addition to helping vapers spend their money wisely, they offer companies valuable feedback to improve their products. I hope voopoo values this feedback and uses it to improve. I’m disappointed in this mod. I’ll won't be adding the mod to my spreadsheet of recs linked down below but won’t be adding the tank.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from voopoo

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors