Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Vandy Vape Pyro V2 RDTA Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Vandy Vape Pyro v2 RDTA. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Vandy Vape Pyro V2 RDTA is the latest RDTA from very popular vape company Vandy Vape. They don’t really need much of an introduction these days as everyone knows who they are but their most popular products this year are probably the pulse squonk mods but also did a good job with the bonza, phobia 2, kylin mini, Kylin 2 and revolver atomizers this year. The Pyro V2 RDTA is the follow up to their original Pyro RDTA that came out last year and is a rare RDTA offering for 2018. RDTAs in general have seem to been phased out as of late in favor of squonking RDAs. It’s a 24mm DTL RDTA with a postless style deck and 4ml standard capacity but included for me a 2ml capacity via a block in the tank i had to remove. It’s available in 5 colors Black, Rainbow, Gold, Blue, and SS. Looking around online I see it runs around 30 USD with lots of sites to by from. Elementvape and myvpro have them in the US in that price range

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 24mm Diameter
  • 4mL Maximum Juice Capacity
  • Superior Stainless Steel Construction
  • Unique Postless, Four Terminal Build Deck
  • Side-Secured via Phillips Screw
  • Single or Dual Coil Configuration
  • PEEK Insulator
  • Multi Directional Airflow System
  • Dual External Top-Sided Airflow Control
  • 12 Internal Tiny Air Slots on Each Side
  • 1 Large Internal Airslot on Each Side - Redirect Upwards
  • 810 17.5mm ULTEM Drip Tip
  • 810 18.5mm Delrin Sloped Drip Tip
  • 510 Drip Tip Adapter
  • Squonk BF 510 Pin
  • 24K Gold-Plated 510 Connection
  • Available in Stainless, Black, Rainbow, Gold, Blue
Included in box:
  • 1 Pyro RDTA V2
  • 1 Delrin Sloped Drip Tip
  • 1 Spare Glass Tube
  • 1 Coil Lead Guide
  • 1 Accessory Bag
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions
When I first got this RDTA I was pretty surprised. Mostly because RDTAs just aren’t being made these days as they seemed to have died out in favor of squonking RDAs. So of course you can squonk this RDTA as expected. But outside of that it had a pretty nice design and a postless deck and a top airflow channeled to side air so i figured it might be pretty decent. I guess my initial impression was a bit of surprise and a bit of optimism.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty standard postless deck which is a personal favorite of mine but which also means you have to precut your leads. The good thing is Vandy vape includes a coil lead measuring tool as well and while lots of time i find them mislabeled, that was the case here as well. You’ll want to cut your leads at 6-7 MM depending on coil size and vandy vape marked it at 5mm leads. Not a big deal or a major difference but it helps flavor a bit. Still the tool makes it really easy to get your coils built and ready to install. You also can install the coils 1 at a time as each lead gets its own hole and combined with the included tool makes it really easy to build on even for beginners. They use good quality screws but they are phillips/flathead combos and thankfully they include 4 spare hex grub screws so no complaints there. The post screws come in from the side so flat wire leads won’t be twisted when installing and it works great for flat and round wire coils with no issues. I’d recommend a 3-3.5mm ID coil but you can fit up to a 4mm as well but it’s tight. 3mm is probably best for most people. Overall nothing groundbreaking but just a well done postless deck and the included tool makes it easy to build on for even new builders.

Wicking on this one is super easy. All RDTA’s really are wicked the same way for me as it just works. I cut my leads so they are just long enough to go into the holes but don’t show in the glass of the tank and i do a little angle cut as well. I actually have an old video you can check out here

on how to wick a RDTA

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a dual coil RDTA as intended. You could run a single fat coil as well but personally i was never a fan of running single coils in a RDTA designed for dual coils as they never seem to work as well as a good single coil RDTA. I ran 4 builds in it. 3 fancy builds at 3mm-4mm ID and one simple round build at 3.5mm ID. It’s DTL for sure but not super airy i’d consider it more of a restricted DTL vape then any other RDTA i tried in the past personally. Performance though was a let down. Not sure why it was so bad, looks like it should be decent enough but it’s really muted and felt more like a waste of juice then anything. Nothing really makes the flavor pop in this atomizer. Not happy with the performance at all.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a top to side airflow RDTA with 2 smallish sized air holes equally spaced apart and hidden. You can adjust it by spinning the top part but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference other then making it a little louder. Still it’s smooth and easy to adjust and on a stopper.. The air is nice and smooth, a little loud, but no whistle.

Filling is interesting on this RDTA. It is squonk compatible and comes with a squonk pin so you can fill it that way via squonking or you can fill it from the top. There are 2 good size fill holes but not overly large but good enough for any bottle type. You just can’t pour it in from a glass bottle. The fill holes get automatically plugged by the top cap so well done there. There are notches in the deck to line up the top cap so no need to worry there and makes it easy to get on and off the mod as well.

There is a good amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with a standard 810 ultem friction fit drip tip and a delrin 810 friction fit tip and an a delrin 510 tip adapter, 2 tips plus an adapter is good in my book. The drip tip fits nice. Not too snug but not too loose and you can use any of your own tips 810 and 510. It comes with 2 tanks as well, both are 4ml but one is a clear glass and the other one that is preinstalled is a ultem tank. It also came with a 2ml block in mine for TPD which i removed. The Vandy Vape Pyro V2 RDTA also includes plenty of extra o-rings, 4 spare post screws (all hex grub), 2 allen wrenches, squonk pin, 2 extra fill hole plugs, and 2 coils but no cotton came in mine. The coils are clearly labeled which is great as well. They are ni80 fused clapton coils 26Gx2 + 35G 2.8mm ID 6 Wraps .33 ohms each. Excellent job at labeling the coils! You also get the cool coil lead cutting tool that is clearly marked on where to cut (5mm) but i recommend going 6-7mm instead depending on your coil size.

The quality on the Pyro V2 RDTA is great. Vandy Vape usually makes good quality stuff especially at the price point. All the threading is really nice and smooth, there is texture everywhere it should be. Easy to take apart. I have the basic SS so hard to judge coloring but the SS one looks good like any SS atomizer. It’s a 24mm diameter RDTA with nothing that bulges out. The 4 ml capacity is good enough, better with squonking but not many RDTAs on the market recently to compare it with so can’t complain much. Branding is nice and simple. Just a Vandy Vape logo engraved in a matching color on the top cap so well done there.

Pros:
  • Good Build Quality
  • 2 Standard 810 Drip Tips and a 510 adapter included
  • great quality hex grub screws included
  • easy to fill
  • squonkable
  • clear glass and ultem glass included
  • plenty of spare parts
  • nice smooth AFC
  • easy to wick and build
  • 4ml capacity is good enough in a slim market
  • included coils clearly labeled
  • included coil lead cutting tool
  • no whistle or loud airflow
  • color options (5 total)
Cons:
  • some cotton would have been nice
  • Flavor is really poor
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RDTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one i’m going to lean towards the no. it kind of sucks that the market has died down for RDTAs it’s been a long time since i reviewed one as they just haven’t been getting made much over the past few years. So much so that i removed RDTAs off my list. Still even with slim pickings i wouldn’t bother with this one. It’s an overall nice RDTA but the flavor is really poor. If you vape unflavored or don’t care about flavor it’s a fine atomizer but i’m all about the flavor which is what i review for personally so I can’t recommend this one personally. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Vandy Vape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors