Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Smoant Rabox Mini Tech review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here my review of the Smoant Rabox Mini. Disclaimer: this product was sent to me from smoant

Introduction:
The Smoant Rabox Mini is the newer and smaller version of the original rabox, but don’t let the mini name fool you, it still packs similar performance to the original with more adjustments and options this time around. It comes in 3 colors, white, red, or black for the frame color with tinted panels.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Compact size: 86mm X55mm X31mm
  • Unique looking mod
  • Minimum Resistance: 0.10 Ohm
  • Max output power: 120W
  • Adjustable HIGH/MEDIUM/SOFT Mode
  • Built-in 3300mAh battery
  • Waterproof/Oilproof/Dustproof PCB
  • 7 different LED flashing modes
  • Can be charged through micro USB port and provide charging indicator.
  • Low battery protection/ Resistance protection/ over-heating protection/ Over-use protection
  • Black, Red, White color Available.
  • About rabox mini mod's built-in li-po battery specs & info, u can check this file: http://smoant.com/msds-report.pdf
Included in box:
  • 1 x Smoant Rabox Mini
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x Warranty Card and Manual
  • 1x small tool gift (a knife)
Pictures and test results
Spreadsheet:
fGsGWp0.png

Stock Shot colors:
A4TWlqo.jpg

Size comparisons

esmr9Uf.jpg

3oVcUv3.jpg

DZeihhL.jpg

SwziEUI.jpg

Handchecks:

sQn4pEl.jpg

ILxG6R6.jpg

L1SJ3dI.jpg

WQEwKCZ.jpg

Box and contents
T4dDB5K.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the looks and design of it. I know many people won’t be into it but i like it personally. Looks like a gaming PC as some people say. I did review the original rabox as well and liked it. It’s built like a brick with a solid hand welded frame and ceramic paint job that looks beautiful. The mini has even more LEDs and man are they bright and have 7 different modes. It really felt like a newer and improved version of the original rabox and is more adjustable then it as well

Performance
Let’s get into some data. The mod doesn't have a screen or anything. The settings are simple it uses a selector switch for a high, mid, and soft settings which are labeled on the chip next to the switch. So I tested each output at different resistances. My testing points were .1, .15, .19, and .49 ohms. At .1 ohms the output was 106 watts in all 3 mods. The voltage output was 3.261 so it was already maxed out on the soft setting so switching it higher does nothing. It’s max amps were 33. At the .15 test i got 76 for the soft and 96 for the mid and hard. Again with the really low amps you won’t get much adjustments. Going up to the .19 is where we see the differences. Soft was 63 watts, mid was 93 and hard was 108. So we had a range of 45 watts. At the .49 soft was 29 watts, mid was 38 and hard was 61.

Overall the mod maxed at 108 for me. A little short of the 120 listed but pretty close. It’s nice to have the mid setting. The original was basically soft and hard only. I used it quite a bit with MTL RTAs like the ares and hastur as well as single coil RTAs. that’s where it shines and while you do need to put some thought into your build based on the limitations I found more often than not, 1 of the 3 settings worked well for my build. Overall I was happy with its performance

Classifying the mod
While i’m sure not everyone reads every word in a review, if there was 1 thing to read it’s this section. I wanted to talk about terms and how to classify certain things. Smoant mistakenly labeled the original rabox a mechanical mod and sadly i seen many reviewers call it that as well. Thankfully Smoant listened and I don’t see them calling the rabox mini a mechanical mod anywhere. In vaping there are terms we use that are generally accepted as true ways to describe things, but not technically correct always. Personally I’d like to see us as a community use universal terms that make sense in the context as they are already defined. I’ve been guilty myself of using generally understood as true for vaping but not technically correct terms in the past but after speaking with one of my subs who made an excellent point, I decided I’d no longer do that and stick to correct technical terms and hope others follow suit because contrary to popular belief I do listen to feedback and will change my mind if a solid points are made. It’s important we all keep an open mind and are willing to learn from each other and use correct terms if we want vaping to a legit industry. Especially with all the regulations being handed down.

Now generally accepted as true mods were classified 2 ways. Regulated for mods that didn’t draw directly from the batteries and had protections (most use a DC-DC converter to buck/boost voltage) or Unregulated for mods that draw directly from batteries like Mechs and Mosfet boxes. This is not technically correct though. Regulated has a finite definition and in short means adjustable. Any mod that’s adjustable is a regulated mod by definition Unregulated means in short non adjustable. So mods needs 2 classifications. That is the 1st part. The 2nd part would be IMO best described as Protected/unprotected. Which meaning is self explanatory. So a mod can be regulated/unprotected like a PWM mod we see customs of all the time. It’ll fire anything you throw at it safe or not. But it’s still regulated by definition. I’d classify a PWM mod as regulated/unprotected. Most mods we see mass produced fall under the regulated/protected but for example the dpro 133 mod i’m reviewing is by definition unregulated but protected or another example popular here the pico squeeze.

So with all that in mind the rabox mini is a regulated/protected mod. It lacks the fine tune adjustments of most regulated mods, but by definition it’s adjustable and protected (won’t let you fire anything unsafe). Same goes for the original rabox as well.

Other Usage Notes
I didn’t do a disassembly as you can see through the whole mod anyway. Everything is very nicely built. It has the same coating as the original rabox which proved to be juice resistant when i dumped a bunch of juice on it. The battery is a 3300MAH so slightly more battery life then a single 18650 mod. It uses a BB fire button which works great and is nice and clicky. They claim it charges in 3-4 hours i didn’t time it but it does charge fats and feature pass through. 25mm attys sit flush with the frame. 30mm will overhang the frame but not the whole mod as it’s 31mm so it looks good with a 30mm atomizer as well.

Usage is simple 5 clicks on and 5 clicks off. A selector switch changed from soft to mid to hard. The manual states 5 clicks to change the LEDs which has 7 modes but it’s really 4 clicks to change them so it’s a typo.

Pros:
  • Well built
  • Juice resistant coating on chip
  • Easy to use
  • Unique design
  • more adjustment then the original
  • long battery life for internal battery mod.
  • Durable
Cons:
  • lacks full adjustments so not beginner friendly
  • some will be offput by the design and LEDs
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this leans heavily towards the yes but with the disclaimer that it isn’t for beginners but more for collectors and people who like different styles of mods. I enjoyed the original rabox and this is a smaller and improved version that is a great follow up. If it’s your kind of mod, you will be happy with it, if it’s not then you likely don’t care what i have to say and that’s alright as it’s not a mod for everyone.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank Smoant for sending me this for the purpose of this review.

VU Sponsors