Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Smoant Cylon Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here my review of the Smoant Cylon Mod. Disclaimer: This product was sent to me from Smoant

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Smoant Cylon is the latest and greatest mod by Smoant and different from all the rest they put out. The cylon features a nice big bright color screen on the front and a centered 510 pin and can handle 30mm atomizers without overhang. They also added in all the features people want all programmable on chip. It’s available in 2 colors. All Black and the other i’ve seen listed as tarnish or gunmetal which has brown leather.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Dimensions: 47mm by 32mm by 90mm
  • Powered By Two High Amp 18650 Batteries (Sold Separately)
  • Utilizes the Ant218 V2 Chip With a Faster Response When Firing
  • Fires Virtually Instantly In Only 0.015 Seconds
  • Side Firing Button
  • Firmware Upgradable
  • Wattage Range: 1W - 218W
  • Output Mode: VW (Min, Norm, Hard, Max, VW Curve) / TC-Ni / TC-Ti / TC-SS / TCR/ TC Curve
  • VW Resistance Range: 0.1Ω – 3.0Ω
  • TC Resistance Range: 0.05Ω – 2.0Ω
  • Temperature Range: 100°C - 300°C / 200°F - 600°F
  • Max Current Output: 50A
  • Max Voltage Output: 8.4V
  • 1.35" Color TFT Screen
  • 2 UI Options
  • Customizable Wallpaper
  • Spring Loaded Gold Plated 510 Pin
  • Can Accommodate Atomizers Up to 30mm in Diameter
  • Safety Protections: Reverse Battery, Switch Timeout, Low Voltage, Overheat, Short Circuit, Overcharge
Included in box:
  • 1 Smoant Cylon Mod
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Instructional Manual and Warranty card
Pictures and test results
Chart:
tesl4qV.png

Spreadsheet:
9CYLOOt.png

Stock Shot Colors:
zHRHr8m.jpg

Stock Shot Wallpaper Options:
yXZnEvG.png

Size comparisons
p0W4lrn.jpg

G5Tg37m.jpg

YzkWGUS.jpg

ZgGqfur.jpg

i7xWmYE.jpg

Handchecks:

CxTQxZd.jpg

qZ8bCKD.jpg

External 510 Pin

ZcXsRoV.jpg

Internal 510 pin

us8KykC.jpg

Internal Wiring
F1x9R0H.jpg

hW2HTUk.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I really liked the looks and design of it. It reminded me a lot of the sxmini g class

I’m sure that was the inspiration of it. Gone is the smaller DNA like screen from their other mods, it’s now been replaced with a large color screen. They also upped their features as this contains pretty much any mode you’d want in a mod. It felt like a high end mod from the start without the high end price tag

Watt Mode Performance
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .2, and .48 ohms. wattage points were max (218), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 186 watts and 41 amps. The 41 amps is in line with the average dual battery mods nowadays so no complaints there, although not the 50 they advertise. At 20 it hit pretty low coming in at 177 watts however The rest of the testing it hit on the high side anywhere from 3-4 watts which was pretty good. Most mods hit weak at such a low resistance. At .15 it maxed out at 199 watts. Again at 200 it hit at 177 watts. The rest of the testing it was low 1-7 watts but better at lower wattages. 100 or less was never off by more than 4. No issues there. For the .2 test it maxed out at 206 watts a little short of the 218 listed but close enough in my opinion. 200 watt test came in low again at 186, but outside of that it was never off by more then 3 watts always on the high side. Very accurate here for sure. For the .48 testing it maxed out at 113 watts and 7.363 volts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit it’s buck only but it’s still a good number for buck only mods as average is around 7 so a little above average there.

Overall i found this to be a good performer in power mode. they list the mod at 50 amps which it doesn't do. The highest i’ve seen a dual battery mod go is around 44 amps IIRC. 40 is the average now for a good dual battery mod. This one does 41 so it performs like most good mods in that regards. A little above average. As far as the watts go it does do 206 which falls a little short of the 218 listed but close enough in my opinion. The 7.363V limit shows it has no boost circuit and is buck only. But is on the higher side for buck only mods where the average is around 7. It read resistance very accurate as well. The mod and chip itself handled my stress testing very well. It didn’t get hot at all. One of the cooler running mods out there. Output was smooth and consistent the whole time. Overall a very good performer in power mode that is accurately rated.

The power curve mode works excellent as well and the pre-heat options too. Normal functions how it should. When i tested the charon TS 218 in my review the pre-heat settings were not correct you needed hard to make it perform like normal would pretty much. Now is not the case, they fixed that up and normal functions as it should. When 100 or more watts it’s adjust by full watts and not by .1 like it does below 100. It also round robins the watts so if you are at the minimum and press down it’ll go up to the max.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode and also TCR mode using 00092. I tested 6 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coil and Fancy dual coil builds. I didn’t notice any difference in TCR mode compared with SS mode so you can use either one. I think they fixed the default TC for SS mode in this mod compared to their older ones. With that said it still hits a little on the high side but not much. Maybe 20-30f off on the high side. I found most builds to work great in the 400-460F range. I never had to go below 400 or above 460. So a nice range for sure. I like a warm vape so YMMV but i think most will be happy in that range. The mod is very consistent as well. Once your vape is dialed in no need to adjust it at all. Changing the wattage is easy just hold down and fire then you can adjust it. It has full access to all the watts with no limit for TC mode. Adjusting it changes the ramp up time as it should. It has great dry hit protection and throttles back smoothly. Overall a great performer in temp control as we’ve come to expect from smoant and i believe it is their best one to date of all their mods.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is excellent, properly grounded and secured to the body (pictured above) The assembly is screwed down into the top plate. It’s not going anywhere. They also have the inside coated with what appears to be liquid electrical tape. Or some kind of silicon sealant to protect juice from entering the mod. It’s an excellent design as i’ve come to expect from their products. The 510 also worked great with all the attys i used on it. 30mm will sit flush with no overhang due to the centered 510. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. I have very minor button rattle on the fire button only. The battery door is easy to open and close and has very little gap when closed. It’s a really well built mod. The fire button is nice and large and clicky as well. The leather is a huge improvement from the charon and even nicer than that of my DNA mods. IDK if it’s real leather but it sure seems like it and feels and looks great. The paint job is quite excellent as well and I doubt it’ll wear or chip in the long run.

This mod has quite a few modes as well. Obviously you have power with a preheat option as well (soft, norm, hard, max) TC modes for Ni200, Ti, and SS as well as TCR Mode. Full watt curve and temp curve programmable on chip, and the option to change the background of the screen (i went with the dog because dogs are awesome). The screen layout is nice with plenty of info. They also have a 2nd UI option that looks like a speedometer.

Usage is pretty easy. 5 click on and off like always with most mods. 3 clicks to enter the menu. Up and down to scroll. Click fire to select and hold fire to exit. Easy and simple. It also has a real time clock as the screen saver you can set the time if that’s your thing. I measured soft cell cut off at 3.26 and 3.27 for my 2 cells.

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • temp control performance
  • Easy to use menu system
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Sleek simple design
  • good 510 pin
  • Bright large color screen
  • comfortable to hold
  • 30mm atomizers fit without overhang
  • affordable price tag
  • Nice leather
Cons:
  • Small fire button rattle
  • small gap in battery door
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no, for this one I’m going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes. I’m sure most expected that since it was on my best of list of 2017. I often refer to ti as a “budget g class” but really it’s not much different than a g class save for the boost circuit and the bluetooth. But it’s also about 1/3rd or 1/4th the price as well. It’s an excellent mod and one of my personal favorites that i’m sure anyone will be happy with if they get one. I’ll be adding it to my sheet as both a TC and power mode mod. This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again i want to thank Smoant for sending me this for review.

Cheapest I found in the US is here https://eciggity.com/smoant-cylon-218w-box-mod/ for 56.69 (code reddit10) from eciggity

Cheapest in China here https://www.efun.top/smoant-cylon-218w-tc-vw-variable-wattage-box-mod.html 39.99 from efun

If you missed any of my last reviews you can find them here https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/wiki/anthony_vapes_reviews

Also apparently Smoant released a new software update here http://smoant.com/cylon-update.rar to allow custom wallpapers today. No i haven't used it yet

VU Sponsors