Anthony Vapes: Smoant Charon TC 218 mod Review and Tech Test

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review(and video link here

) for my honest review of the Smoant Charon 218 TC Mod. No disclaimer will be needed, I purchased this myself from Fasttech.com for 45.44

So without further ado, lets jump into this mod Introduction: The Smoant Charon 218 TC is a dual battery mod with a similar design as the Finder 167 DNA mod. It’s name (Pronounced ˈkerən) Comes from Greek Mythology Charon was the ferryman of hades who carried the souls of the newly deceased across the rivers Styx and Acheron that divided the world of the living from the world of the dead. So not sure how it relates to vaping but interesting fact. It comes in 4 Base colors: Copper, Golden, Black, SS and has several battery door designs as well. The basic one being a leather looking one, and the non basic being certain artwork. It sports the new ANT 218 chip (a newer version of the chip in the battlestar) and this one unlike the battlestar is firmware upgradable.

Manufacturers Specs:
Size:91mm(H)- 25mm(W)- 53mm(L)

Wattages range:1W-218W
Temperature range:100°C-300°C / 200°F-600°F
Max output current:50A
Modes: POWER, SS, Ti, Ni200, TCR, NiCr, VW curve, VT curve Resistance range: Minimum .1ohm USB Charging

Firmware Up-gradable

Material: Zinc Alloy & High Quality Leather

Weight: 195g

Testing Results
Chart Link: http://i.imgur.com/StHlU3b.png

Spreadsheet link: http://i.imgur.com/VnhRVov.png

Basic Thoughts
When I first got this mod, My 1st thought was that it looks a lot more expensive then it is. It’s got a nice finish and design. One that would look like it belongs on a 100+ dollar mod. It feels solid built and very similar to a finder or therion. (more-so the finder). It has a basic screen like a DNA mod as well and the same button layout. I would think at first sight, many would think it was a DNA mod. It has the same simple menu as the battlestar and is very intuitive and easy to navigate. I didn’t care for the leather sticker. They say it’s real leather but it feels a bit more like a pleather. It would have been nice for them to include some other stickers. I found out after I finished my review that they won’t be selling the stickers separate anymore. You need to buy the mod with the sticker attached. I think this is a big misstep because it limits your options on matching the frame with the artwork you want and I was hoping to have a different look then the leather I have. Also the atomizer will be a little wobbly when not screwed all the way in. I didn’t see this as a big deal since who uses a mod with the atomizer half screwed in? when it’s screwed all the way in it makes a solid connection and is strudy with no movement.

Temperature Control
Using SS wire in SS mode, I found this mod to be one of the better ones for temp control in the price range. Very similar to the performance of the battlestar. It does run about 30-40 degrees hot so if you normally vape around 430-450 (on like a DNA or yihi mod) you’ll want to set this to 390-410 for a similar vape. It is very consistent and smooth, you can set your wattage so ramp up is great and fast and it’ll protect you from dry hits. Not much more you can ask for. I would have liked it to be a bit more accurate but I’ll take this over an accurate but pulsey and inconsistent device any day. It is something I’d recommend for a budget temp control mod

Overall Impressions
I’ve had this mod for about a month now (I like to be thorough with my reviews) The performance in watt mode is very inspiring. It’s one of the more accurate watt mode devices out there. While it does fall short of the 218 watts they list, It does hit a very respectable 198 and the 40 amp limit ties it with the best dual battery mods out there. Working really well at lower resistances compared to a 30-35 amp limit mod. It’s accurate from 200 or lower while a lot of mods don’t get very accurate until they are down to about 150 or even less sometimes. It also puts out over 6 volts while many dual battery mods fall a little short of the 6 volt max. Combined with the performance in temp control much like the battlestar it makes this one of the best values in vaping. The ANT chip is very underrated as far as performance goes. Much better then the performance of the more popular smok, wismec, joyetech, ijoy etc mods. It still baffles me how smoant seems to fly under the radar. My only major gripe is the firmware seems unfinished as the VW curve and VT curve modes don’t do anything yet. Hopefully we get a firmware update soon. I don’t personally see any reason for a temp curve, but a watt curve would be very welcome especially since this device lacks a preheat options.

Pros:
  • Looks and Color Options
  • Performance in Watt mode
  • Performance in Temp Mode
  • Build Quality
  • Price Point
  • Battery door has coating to prevent shorts
Cons:
  • Up and down Buttons Rattle
  • No Preheat currently
  • Not a fan of the battery door leather
  • Unfinished Firmware (Curve modes do nothing currently)
  • Their decision to not sell stickers separate.
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod? I don’t like to do hard yes or no, but this one leans heavily towards the yes. At under 50 dollars for a solid built mod, that performs great in watt mode, and very good in temp mode for the price point (not DNA, FSK or yihi level but not too far behind them) It’s hard for me to not say yes. Much like the battlestar It’s one of the best values in vaping. It’s simple, cheap, easy to use, and works great. You can’t really ask for much more. I think anyone looking for a new dual battery mod should give this one a look.

I want to thank you guys for reading (or watching or both). Stay tuned later this week for more reviews. Not all are posted on this sub-reddit due to rules so feel free to follow the reviewer sub-reddit and subscribe to my channel for notifications.

As always I am Anthony Vapes and I’m just keeping it Honest, Hopefully you all can say you are doing the same and I’ll see you on the next review

Some upcoming reviews: Geekvape Mech Pro, Smoant Mobula, Aspire Archon, VooPoo Drag, Pharaoh RTA, Aspire Cleito Exo, Kaos Erebus 25mm RTA, Envii Terra Octo RTA, Ijoy Lux, and many more. If you know a product you’d like to see me review, feel free to ask

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Awesome, Anthony! This mod has been on my list since I read Jack's review and now it's a "MUST HAVE" for me for sure.

Thank you for your hard work doing these videos. You really make it easy for folks like me to buy quality gear. Please don't stop! :)

Edit: When you can do it, I'd still love to see the test for the G2. :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Awesome, Anthony! This mod has been on my list since I read Jack's review and now it's a "MUST HAVE" for me for sure.

Thank you for your hard work doing these videos. You really make it easy for folks like me to buy quality gear. Please don't stop! :)

Edit: When you can do it, I'd still love to see the test for the G2. :)
I might test it this weekend. Have a 3 day weekend for memorial day and right now only 4 mods on my list to test. so may add in the G2 and slice as well for formal reviews. probably throw in the triad as well. I spend so much time just getting everything set up and calibrated to do my testing, the more i can test in 1 shot the better

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I understand. I used to do tv repair back in the days before "throw-away" stuff became popular. It took longer to get the scope and leads out than it took to actually fix what was broke most of the time. I also worked as a tech for a little radio station too so I know what you're talking about. :)

Not trying to push you at all. You need some time with the family too! Just know that we appreciate what you do for the community and most of us look forward to your videos. :D

Thank you!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I understand. I used to do tv repair back in the days before "throw-away" stuff became popular. It took longer to get the scope and leads out than it took to actually fix what was broke most of the time. I also worked as a tech for a little radio station too so I know what you're talking about. :)

Not trying to push you at all. You need some time with the family too! Just know that we appreciate what you do for the community and most of us look forward to your videos. :D

Thank you!
Thank man! really appreciate it. I do the best i can with the time i have ;)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks Anthony great review as always looks like a great mod for the price point

can't wait to see the G2 and Slice reviews! Want to see how they compare with YiHi and DNA have both and love them

Also would be great if you dedicated part of the review to kanthal in temp control wanna know how that goes on the chart :) if that's too much don't worry

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks Anthony great review as always looks like a great mod for the price point

can't wait to see the G2 and Slice reviews! Want to see how they compare with YiHi and DNA have both and love them

Also would be great if you dedicated part of the review to kanthal in temp control wanna know how that goes on the chart :) if that's too much don't worry
I'll see what I can do ;)

VU Sponsors