Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Smoant Battlestar Baby Pod Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Smoant Battlestar Baby Pod Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Smoant Battlestar Baby Pod kit is the latest Pod Kit from somewhat popular vape manufacturer Smoant. For the last 3 years or so they’ve made some of the nicest mods on the market with the battlestar series, charon series, and naboo but their pod offerings have been a bit lackluster so let's see if this one can change that. The Batlestar Baby (which I'll refer to as the BB from now on) is a simple rectangle-ish styled AIO Pod with refillable pods and a built in 750mah battery and inhale to fire. It’s available in 6 colors Black, SS, Blue, Green, Gunmetal, and Red. Looking around online I see it available for around 25-30 for the kit only for pre-order out of China currently. But good price point.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Size 45 x 60 x 15mm
  • Battery: 750mAh
  • Power output: 10 / 15W
  • Charging: 5V / 0.8A
  • Port Type: Type-C
  • Charging Time: 45~60 minutes
  • Surface Process: Electroplate + Patch
  • Innovative CPR technology without fingerprint
  • LED indicator: red 5%~30%, blue 30%~60%, white 60%~100%
  • independent airflow design
  • Smooth flavor
  • Over time protection (8 seconds)
  • Short circuit protection
  • Low power protection
  • Capacity: 2.0ml
  • Pod Material: PCTG
Coil Options
  • 1.2ohm Regular MTL Coil (included) (10 watts)
  • 0.6ohm Mesh Coil (Included) (15 watts)
Included in box:
  • 1 x Smoant Battlestar Baby Device
  • 1 x Empty Pod (2mL)
  • 1 x 1.2ohm Regular MTL Coil
  • 1 x 0.6ohm Mesh Coil
  • 1 x Lanyard / USB-C Cable
  • User Manual and documentation
Picture Album
album

Battlestar Baby Battery Rundown
The BB is a rectangle style AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, but those are sold separately and the coils are replaceable and you can reuse the pod like the Breeze 2, nautilus AIO or Nord. Design wise it’s very similar to the voopoo drag nano but a little bigger. There is no adjustable air which isn’t a big deal as most pods don’t have any, but it’s a cool feature when they add it. It’s a loose MTL draw. It has an average capacity of 2ml like most pod systems. The battery is listed at 750mah and it’s a non-adjustable constant output device at 15 watts with the mesh coil and 10 watts with the standard coil. It features built in USB charging with a listed rate of .8A and a listed charge time of 45-60 mins. I tested this 3 times with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it charges at .73A max so good rating there. It charges full in about 65 minutes so charges fast enough and good rating there as well. Battery size wise i got 621mah-634mah so slightly overrated and i’ll ding them for that. A 650mah rating would have been better. Still pretty damn good ratings overall. It also has passthrough vaping as well (pauses charging) so you can vape it while charging. Another cool thing about this is it comes with a lanyard that is also the charging cable which is quite convenient. No Drip tip, the mouthpiece is part of the pod itself.

The BB is very nicely built and feels really solid but a little on the heavy side for a pod. Paint wise I have the blue which is a shiny metallic royalish blue finish to it. It looks great and no signs of wear on the battery. They also have CPR panels on each side which looks nice and have a glossy finish. The pods attach to the battery via a magnet system. They fit nice in the battery. My only minor complaint is the magnets aren't very strong so if you pick it up by the pod itself quicky the battery will fall off of it. Not a major deal but worth a mention and i’ll ding them for it. Would be nice if it was more secure with stronger magnets. To replace the coils they just pop into place and are held in by o-rings like the nord instead of the screw in style of the breeze 2. You just remove the pod and then pull the coil out of the bottom to replace. The filling is pretty basic. Just a simple rubber plug which is on the side of the pod so the pod needs to be removed in order to fill. Then you just pop open the rubber plug and fill. Fill hole is a good size so no complaints there

Usage is pretty easy. It has no buttons and is inhale to fire only. You have to vape to see the battery charge as well via the 1 LED. The battery LED is on the front and is a small circle. It’s in an odd place and not very bright which makes it very hard to check your battery charge. I wish they would have placed it better personally or had it stay on for 5 seconds or so after your inhale so you can look at it. It’ll blink red at 5-30%, blink blue at 30-60%, blink white at 60-95%, and be solid white at 95-100%. I’m glad they used 4 steps but the 1st step is pointless and should have been spaced better. The pod is fully enclosed sadly with no juice window so you need to pull it out to check your juice level. They should have had a juice window. Also the pod is tinted very dark. Companies really need to stop with the super dark tinted pods. It makes it too hard to see the juice level so i’ll ding them for that as well.

Coil Performance and details
The BB Pod Kit comes with 1 Pod but 2 coils which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods. There are 2 coil options for this kit in total and both are included which are a .6 ohm mesh coil and a 1.2 ohm coil. I used all 50/50 nic salt juices 20-24 mg nicotine. I started with the .6 ohm mesh coil. Flavor was really good it’s a tier 1 and one of the bets flavorwise of a pod system I've used. Life wise i got 16ml of juice which is really good. I typically look for at least 10ml from a pod coil. Really good coil overall. Then I used the 1.2 ohm coil. Flavorwise this one Is also a tier one but not as good as the .6 ohm one. But still really good flavorwise. Life wise i got 14ml of juice from it so good as well. Overall both coils provided me with good flavor and good coil life so well done there on the coils.

Pros:
  • color options (6 total)
  • average 2ml capacity
  • Good build quality on battery
  • good size for easy portability
  • good ratings for charge rate and charge time
  • charges fast enough (about 1 hour and 5 mins)
  • coils are easy to install in pods
  • reusable pod (just replace coil)
  • easy to fill
  • good battery life
  • comes with 2 coils
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • Good flavor from both coils
  • good life from both coils
  • lanyard that doubles as the charge cable for convenience
  • constant output
Cons:
  • battery LED is too hard to see
  • battery LED spacing should be better
  • Pods are tinted too dark
  • battery size is slightly overstated (should be listed at 650mah not 750mah)
  • magnets that hold pod into place are a little weak
  • No juice window, need to remove pod to see juice level
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this POD kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but this one leans towards the yes. I have some minor gripes about it but no pod is perfect and at the end of the day it’s a well built pod system that works well, charges fast, has good battery life, easy to use, and the coils are good. It ticks all the right boxes to make it work buying. I will be adding this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below, feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and I'll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Smoant

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 400 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2019 so far list here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors