Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Joyetech Ultex T80 Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Joyetech Ultex T80 Kit. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Joyetech Ultex T80 Kit is a newer kit from longtime manufacturer joyetech who probably doesn't need any introduction. The Kit comes with the Joyetech Ultex T80 Mod and the Cubis Max tank atomizer. The Ultex T80 is a single 18650 80 watt stick style mod which has been rare these days. Only 3 affordable ones i can think of are this, the uwell nunchaku, and the ehpro 101 and the Cubis Max Tank is a sub ohm low watt tank. It’s available in 5 colors Matte Black, SIlver, Gold, Sky Blue, and Dazzling (rainbow). Looking around online I see the mod itself for around 40 USD and the kit for around 60 USD so solid price point as usual form Joyetech.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Six Output Modes
  • Wattage Output 80W Maximum
  • 0.05 to 3.5 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
  • Temperature Control, NI / TI / SS Modes
  • 200 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit
  • Bypass Mode
  • Three TCR Modes
  • 18650 Battery Required
  • Three Button Interface
  • Oversized Firing Button
  • Dual Adjustment Buttons
  • 0.49 Inch OLED Screen
  • Threaded Bottom Battery Cap
  • Gold Plated 510 Connection
  • Micro USB Charge Port
  • 2A Charge Rate
  • 25mm by 94mm
Manufacturers Spec: Tank
  • 25mm Base Diameter
  • 28mm Widest Diameter
  • 56mm Tall
  • Push to Open Top Fill System
  • 5ml Capacity with Standard Glass
  • NCFilm Heating Material
  • 0.25 ohm
  • Best at 40W
  • Dual Adjustable 10mm by 2mm Air Slots
  • 11mm Wide Tapered 510 Bore Delrin Drip Tip
  • Stainless Steel and Glass Construction
Included in box:
  • One Ultex T80 Mod
  • One CUBIS Max Tank Atomizer
  • One Spare Glass Tube
  • One NCFilm Heating Material
  • One Spare Parts Bag
  • One Micro USB Cable
  • Two User Manual
  • One Warranty Card
  • Two Warning Cards
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty happy to see a stick style mod. Not a lot of regulated stick mods these days are being widely made and affordable. This is my 3rd one this year along with the ehpro 101 and uwell nunchaku. The Ultex though is more styled per se and less of a simple tube like the other which some may or may not like. Personally I didn’t mind it but would have preferred it to be more basic looking but that’s just personal preference so no big deal. The other odd thing i felt since joyetech is one of the companies pushing products for bigger batteries is why they made it 18650 only. I think they missed an opportunity to make it a single 2x700 mod instead. The tank it comes with though just didn’t make any sense to me. I didn’t understand why they would design a pre-made coil tank that required a screwdriver to change coils which kind of defeats the purpose. Overall though i liked the mod from the start but not the tank

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (80), 60, 40, and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 72 watts and 25 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side slightly 2-3 watts lso all good there. At .15 it maxed out at 76 watts. Outside of that only off by 1-3 watts a little low at 60 and a little high at 40 and 20. For the .2 test it maxed out at 80 watts. This time it was on the mark though for all the testing which is dam good. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 86 watts and 7.363 volts. For the rest of the testing it hit a little high 2-5 watts. The volts shows there is a boost circuit in this mod like many single battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It barely struggled with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit it was very accurate overall especially at .2 ohm. I was able to get 86 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 80 watts. The 7.363 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit as there should be and was capped off by the watt limit so i likely higher than that as well. Their manual doesn’t list an amp or volt limit sadly on this mod. I wish they listed the 3 main limits (watts, amps, volts) and not just watts. The most amps i got was 25 with a .12 ohm coil which is around average for a single battery mod (average is around 25-30 these days). So overall good ratings from what they actually listed and overall good specs.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Mostly hits few watts off sometimes low sometimes high. Accurately rated for watts (86), Yes boost circuit, average amp limit of 25. Volts tested at 7.363+ so good job and you basically get the full watt range at all the tested resistances like most single battery mods.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode. There is a TCR mode but didn’t feel the need to use it. I tested 5 builds 2 single coil round builds, 2 single coil fancy builds, and 1 round wire dual coil build. Sadly this mod just kept kicking me out of TC all the time. When it wasn’t kicking me out the cutoff was mostly accurate hence why i didn’t use TCR mode giving me a warm vape in the 450ish range but i did have to fiddle a lot as it was inconsistent and a bit pulsey as well. Overall an easy fail for me

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to turn the mod on or off. You use 3 clicks to enter the menu and in the menu there is modes of wattage, Bypass, and TC for Ni, Ti, and SS and 3 TCR Memory modes. Very basic and easy to use so no complaints there plus really all you’ll be using this mod in is power mode so no need to change it anyway.

The Joyetech Ultex T80 adjusts by .1 watt increments under 20 watts and full watt increments 20 or more. I love that personally and overall well done there and fast and easy to adjust. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and has a nice weight to it where it’s not heavy but not too light. The Battery door is a screw off bottom and the threading is all nice so it’s easy to screw and unscrew to swap batteries out. It’s single 18650 only I wish they made it single 2x700 personally.

There paint on the mod is very nice as well. The Sky Blue one i have is really nice and has a matte like finish to it. Very well done there. I would have prefered it to be a simple design but don’t mind the cutouts. Some may love it some may hate it. All depends on your preference. The fire button is nice and clicky and has a LED built into it that turns on only when it’s pressed. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use and you can fire it by squeezing the mod. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. The mod handles a 25mm atomizer flush to match the size of the tank so looks good with any 24 or 25mm atomizer IMO and even a 2mm one doesn't look bad. The screen is a small and basic old style black and white screen and while I would have liked something nicer personally, it’s pretty much the same as the one on the other 2 stick mods so can’t really complain as there isn’t a stick mod out with a better screen. Also for branding the mod itself is very minimal. Just a small joyetech logo engraved in matching color under the screen so it doesn't stand out at all. They list a charging rate of 2A and i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods if it can be avoided so I didn’t test that personally.

Cubis Max Tank Run Down
Ok so now a quick rundown of the tank, I normally don’t get too crazy in detail with included tanks in kits but i’ll talk a little more about this one the usual due to its unique design. They list it as a 25mm tank and 28mm at the widest point. It comes with a 5ml tank and a 5ml spare tank. It uses a standard 510 drip tip. It uses a slide back fill like a lot of tanks these days and the fill hole is a good size. The AFC is easy to adjust and has 2 large air holes equally spaced apart and is top airflow. Pretty basic tank outside of the coil system

Now let's talk about the coil system. They use what they call a “coil-less NC film heater” i mean it’s NOT coil-liess it’s stilla coil just basically a flat notch coil with 2 metal brackets. You need a screwdriver to replace the coil as well as the coil screws into the tank. I really don’t get that the whole concept of having a tank is the ease of use, when you need to wick it and take out tools to unscrew a coil it defeats the purpose of it. At that point your better off with a RTA which is basically what this is except you can only use 1 coil type. It kind of reminds me in that way of the wanko RDA a few years back. This also means there really isn’t any way to clean the coil by firing and be able to see the coil when doing it. You’d have to put the tank back together and do it blindly. The wicking is simply using their pre-cut squares of cotton and placing it on the base. It’s really just a poor design for a tank. I appreciate the effort to try and do something different but different isn’t always better and in this case way worse.

Now for the important part, the coil performance. First off with 1 of their cotton pads it’ll flood like crazy I found that out very early on. I had to wick it with 2 of their paods stacked to stop the flooding then it worked well for that. Flavorwise though it was awful. An almost flavorless vape. They claim coil life of 72000 puffs. I mean i don’t believe it but no way i was actually going to vape 72k puffs on this awful tank. Not to mention you still need to clean the coil and chane cotton too on it. I only vaped 20 ml of juice on this tank and just gave up on. It was just a weak flavorless vape and a waste of juice

Pros: Mod
  • Power mode performance
  • Accurately rated for watts (86)
  • good amp limit (25)
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice fire button
  • handles 25mm atomizers without overhang
  • easy to adjust wattage quickly
  • color options (5)
  • Easy to use Menu
  • rare regulated stick mod
  • full watt adjustments 20+ watts
Cons: Mod
  • TC is bad
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit or not? I’ll break it down in 2 sections. For the tank it’s flat out beware avoid territory. Just an awful tank that should have never been made. No idea how it got made in the first place. Just flat out no. For the mod however, as a TC mod it’s an easy no, but for power mode i’ll lean heavy towards the yes. It’s almost as good of a performer as the nunchaku mod at least close enough that you won’t notice any difference and since my 2 101 mods i got and reviewed were both full of serious flaws this mod offers up an alternative to the nunchaku a little cheaper and with similar performance. If you wanted a stick mod only for power mode vaping it’s a great choice depending on how you feel about the looks and 1 of only 2 i can recommend currently with the nunchaku. Too bad it wasn’t a 2x700 mod or that cold have made it stand out even more. i’ll be adding it to my sheet as a power mode mod only.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Joyetech

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors