Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Joyetech Espion Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here my review of the Joyetch Espion Mod. Disclaimer: This product was sent to me from Joyetech

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. I spend more time with products then most reviewers and try to be thorough, do disassemblies to check for design flaws, do accuracy testing, and stress testing, something that is typically done in maintenance industries to try and “force” a failure or diagnose a potential failure point to give me an idea of a devices longevity. With that said, there is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small % failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Introduction:
The Joyetech Espion is the latest mod from joyetech and should be a welcome addition for those vapers who aren’t into the fancy looking stuff. It’s a simple looking 1 color box with a large color screen on the front and 3 buttons (mode, up, and down) and a large side mounted fire button. It’s available in 3 colors. Black, Gunmetal, and Blue

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Size: 83 x 44 x 28mm
  • Battery: 2x 18650 cells (NOT included)
  • Output wattage: 1 - 200W
  • Mode: Power/TC(Ni, Ti, SS)/TCR (M1, M2, M3)/RTC
  • Display: 1.45-inch TFT color screen
  • Resistance range: 0.05 - 1.5 ohm (TC/TCR mode)/ 0.1 - 3.5ohm (Power/Bypass mode)
  • Temperature Control Range: 100℃-315℃/200F-600F
  • Max charging current: 2A
  • Max output current: 50A
  • Max output voltage: 9V
Included in box:
  • 1 Joyetech Espion Box Mod
  • 1 MicroUSB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Pictures and test results
Chart:
hShBmpI.png

Spreadsheet:
8m40puu.png

Stock Shot Colors:
ESPION_with_ProCore_X_01.png

Size comparisons

sZx4NY9.jpg

r6oF7NY.jpg

YzkWGUS.jpg

ZgGqfur.jpg

i7xWmYE.jpg

Handchecks:

MH73GeR.jpg

yzRSvvQ.jpg

Internal 510 pin

6txjnsV.jpg

lNj3Kc3.jpg

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I really liked the looks and design of it. Matter of fact they sent it with some marketing material with a picture of a guy who looks like a james bond actor dressed to the nines. Like the theme of the mod is supposed to be simple and classy which is something we haven’t seen as much of lately with many mods going the route of lots of colors and LEDs and such. This mod however is just a sleek simple looking box with a simple and comfortable shape.

Watt Mode Performance (update)
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. Testing resistances were done at .12 , .15, .2, and .51 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50, and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 178 watts and 39 amps. The 39 amps is in line with the average dual battery mods nowadays so no complaints there, although not the 50 they advertise. The rest of the testing it hit on the low side which is pretty normal as well for such a low resistance. Anywhere from 1-12 watts with the lower wattages being more accurate. At .15 it maxed out at 199 watts. The rest of the testing it was low 1-7 watts but again better at lower wattages. 100 or less was never off by more than 4. No issues there. For the .2 test it maxed out at 206 watts so it does meet and exceed the published 200 watt spec. The rest of the testing it was 1 watt low to 5 watts high. At 100 or less it’s never off by more then 2. Very accurate here for sure. For the .51 testing due to the way the chip works the max setting i can achieve is 158.8 due to the 9V limit built into the chip. So i didn't test at 200, The highest i tested at was 150. On the 150 setting it maxed out at 160 watts and 9.046 volts so it does meet the 9V spec promised and has a boost circuit as well. The rest of the testing it was a little high form 2-6 watts.

Overall i found this to be a good performer in power mode. Like all joyetech (and their sister companies) they list their mods at 50 amps. It’s untrue and I wish they would change it. None of their dual battery or single battery mods can put out 50 amps. It does however do 40 so it performs like most good mods in that regards. As far as the watts go it does do 200 and a few extra so accurately rated there and as far as volts goes it does do 9 Volts so accurately rated there as well. The 9V limit shows it has a boost circuit which is great. It read resistance very accurate as ell and auo reads it. Does Not ask for new coil or anything. The mod and chip itself handled my stress testing very well. It didn’t get hot at all. The top plate however does take heat transfer from the atty so if you atty runs hot, it’ll heat up that top plate. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. It also has a preheat option (power and duration) that works well. Output was smooth and consistent the whole time. Overall an excellent performer in power mode that is accurately rated.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire with the default SS mode and also TCR mode using 00092. I tested 8 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single coil and Fancy dual coil builds and a fancy triple coil build. On an overall basis it’s hard for me to recommend any settings on the mod. While i was able to get a good vape at times it was usually short lived. I found myself fiddling with temp all the time even on the same builds. It lacked consistency. Sometimes uping the temp 40-50 degrees to get the same puff i just had. Some builds required 600f to get even a little bit of vapor, while other times i had to be below 400f to not get a dry hit. Overall it was far too inconsistent for me to say any good settings to use. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone threw 1 build on it and liked it or hated it based on just that. But the more builds throw at it, the more frustrating it becomes. So overall it gets a fail from me in temp control for it’s lack of consistency or ability to dial in “good settings” for use

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The 510 pin on the mod is excellent, properly grounded and secured to the body (pictured above) by essentially pancaking the negative threading between a bracket inside and the top portion of mod. It’s an excellent design and glad they are moving away from some of the poorer grounding techniques i’ve discussed in the past. Glad to see companies listening and the people who made accusations it was wrong learn from their mistakes. They use a solid copper bar from the chip to the negative on the 510 and it’s soldered on. The 510 also worked great with all the attys i used on it. 28mm will sit flush with no overhang due to the centered 510. The mod is built very solid and feels durable. No button rattle or anything. The battery door is easy to open and close and has no gap when closed. It’s a really well built mod. The fire button is nice and large and clicky as well.

This mod has quite a few modes as well. Obviously you have power with a preheat option as well (power and duration) TC modes for Ni200, Ti, and SS as well as TCr memory settings. RTC mode (real time clock), individual battery monitors (tells you live voltage of each cell) and the option to change the background color of the screen. The screen layout is nice with plenty of info. It’s also firmware upgradable and joyetech is one of the companies that does stay on top of that as far as updating firmwares and having an easy to use site to find them.

Usage is pretty easy. 5 click on and off like always with most mods. The mod has a menu button to the left of the adjustment buttons much like the ravage230. You can hold the menu button to cycle through modes but that is the long way. It’s much better for a 3 click of the fire button to enter the sub menu. Then you use up and down to scroll and the menu button to accept. You can press the fire button at any time to exit. Very nice and easy to use menu system.

It also comes in a kit with the Procore X tank which i did receive. I didn't use it as it’s more of the same. It uses the same coils as the procore aries which i already reviewed and there isn’t any real difference between the 2 outside of looks. It does take the “baby beast” style coils so plenty of options there if you did want to get it with a new tank. Off the top of my head cross compatible coils are baby beast, exo s, gnome, ello, flow, frogman, fantasy mini, NRG and could be a few others as well. I measured soft cell cut off at 3.21 and 3.23

Pros:
  • Power performance
  • Easy to use menu system
  • accurately rated
  • Build Quality
  • Sleek simple design
  • good 510 pin
  • Bright large screen
  • comfortable small size
  • 28mm atomizers fit without overhang
  • affordable price tag
  • Color Options
Cons:
  • Temp control performance
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not. I Don’t like to do hard yes or no, for this one I’m going to lean pretty heavy towards the yes as a power mode device. It’s accurately rated and performs well and it’s nice to see an actual fixed 510 and not just a 510 people say is fixed. As a temp control device i’d say no flat out. If you don’t care about temp control and want a simple looking box that is built well and just works it’s a good choice for sure and should be easy on the budget. I’ll be adding it to my sheet for power mode only.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c4MZ2xYBE-1-0A6rLYY46OHtzHCM-roJINpxghmhzXM/edit?usp=sharing this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

If you missed any of my last reviews you can find them here https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/wiki/anthony_vapes_reviews

VU Sponsors