Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Innokin Gala Pod Kit Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Innokin Gala Pod Kit, please see the bottom for disclaimers and links. Note this is not marked as a sample version.

Introduction:
The Innokin Gala Pod kit is the latest pod kit from longtime vape manufacturer Innokin. They have a long history of making really good beginner stuff and even a few good dual battery mods, however as of late in 2019 have seem to be falling off a bit as their last 2 pod kits the DV and EQs were pretty sub par, so let's see if the gala can be a return to their old ways, or another disappointment. The Gala is a simple tall skinny “JUUL” style AIO Pod with refillable pods and a built in 500mah battery and is inhale to fire. It’s available in 6 colors Black, Sapphire, Pink, Silver, Retro, and Sea Opal. Looking around online I see a couple of US sites have them in stock at 24.99 and replacement pods for 3.99 so good price point

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions: 9.5 x 23.8 x 108mm (D x W x H)
  • Classic Automatic Style
  • Output Wattage: 14W Max
  • Battery: 500mah Internal Rechargeable Battery
  • Motion Activated LED Light Bar
  • LED Light Bar Colors: Blue, Magenta, Red, Pink, Yellow, Aqua, Green, and Stealth (Off)
  • Lightshow Mode
  • Low Battery Alarm
  • Refillable Cartridge System
  • Tank Capacity: 2ml
Coil/Pod Options
  • 0.5 ohm Gala PLEX3D Mesh Refillable Cartridge
  • 0.8 ohm Gala Ceramic Refillable Cartridge
Included in box:
  • 1 x Innokin Gala Pod System
  • 1 x 0.5 ohm Gala PLEX3D Mesh Refillable Cartridge (Pre-Installed)
  • 1 x 0.8 ohm Gala Ceramic Refillable Cartridge
  • 3 x Bottle Tip Adapter
  • 1 x Lanyard
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual
Picture Album
album

Kit Rundown
The Gala is simple tall skinny stick styled AIO (all in one) Pod kit, meaning there isn’t a separate mod or tank that can be used with anything else. It does have replaceable pods so you can carry spares, but those are sold separately and the coils are built into the pods so you replace the whole pod like a renova zero or innokin EQ. Design wise it’s very similar to a smaller nord or an eleaf elven. It’s a really good size all things considered. There is no adjustable air as well like most pods. Not a big deal but it is cool when pods have adjustable air but not really the standard these days yet so just a bonus when it has that. It has an average capacity of 2ml (so TPD compliant). The battery is listed at 500mah and it’s a direct output device. It features built in USB charging they surprisingly don’t list a charge rate or time which most do. I tested this 3 times with an inline USB meter and for the charge rate it charges at .49A max so half amp rated, a little slower then most since 1A seems to be the standard but it charges full in about 70-72 minutes so not bad at all. Battery size wise i got 460-476mah so no complaints there. Nothing way overstated from what they list it as, which is all i’m looking for so good ratings. It does have passthrough vaping as well like most so u can hit it while it’s charging (true passthrough and not just pausing). The drip tip is proprietary and part of the pod itself.

The Gala is very nicely built, but lightweight as well. Paint wise i have the Pink which looks more like a magenta then a hot pink, is a shiny metallic body. I think it looks nice and shows no signs of wearing either. No complaints on the paint. The pods attach to the battery via a clip in system and are easy to get in and out and fit really well so good job there and fit it nicely with no wiggle or play. To remove the pod just pull it out. The filling is simple and easy. It uses a standard rubber plug with 1 large fill hole that easily accommodates a fine tip bottle. They also include some extender tips but it was easy to fill without them so they weren’t really needed. Very easy to fill.

Usage is pretty easy. It’s an inhale to fire only device with no buttons. There are no modes or settings. I had no issues with the air sensor at all or misfires. The LED is on the front and quite large and bright. The only way to check the battery charge is when you 1st insert the pod it flashes a color to let you know the battery charge. Green means Full to 40%, Yellow means 40-20% and Red means 20% or less. Really poor spacing on the battery meter and having to pull the pod and insert it to check seems like an odd design i’m not a fan of. When charging the LED is red if under 85% and green when 85-99%. When full the LED turns off. Here is the odd kicker of why the battery meter is what it is. One feature they talk about is the “light show” where you can program the LED to be different colors or flash or whatnot by tapping the gala icon on the front. 3 taps is supposed to cycle colors while 5 taps is supposed to turn the LED on or only on when vaping. None of that works at all. Tapping does nothing and worse off it randomly activates for no reason when sitting untouched. The LED does what it wants and nothing you can do about it. It’s funny because I was talking with a reviewer buddy of mine since they reached out to me about the EQs pod and they said the pods were bad in their review and of course typical company response was “we haven’t heard any complaints” so he went looking for reviews and of course I was the only one that said the same thing. Go figure. Anyway I told him how the gala was even worse (spoiler alert lol) and he said yeah he’s been using it and the light thing doesn't work and randomly activates for no reason and I laughed because i said same here so it’s not that I had bad luck or anything. It just doesn't seem to work. No idea how it passed QC. And befoe anyone jumps in that it’s “motion activated” (which it doesn't say in the manual but does on the site and specs) I’ve tried every shake, flick and gesture and my buddy said and I quote “I can't even get that stupid thing to do its trick (which is stupid to begin with!). I tap it, rub it, pop it, blow on it, finger it... and nothing. Then randomly the light will come on when it's sitting on my desk. SMH” so lets not jump in with some nonsense i get when people or companies want to blame the reviewer for a bad product. It just doesn't work.

The pod is fully exposed which is nice but also tinted super dark which is not and counter productive. I mean I said this in my last 4 innokin pod eviews so no idea why they don’t listen? So yeah it’s harder to see your juice level then it should be due to the dark tinting. No idea why companies refuse to use clear pods. I’ll ding them for that as usual.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Coil Performance and details
The Innokin Gala Pod Kit comes with 2 Pods which is great. All kits should always include 2 coils/pods. There are 2 coil options and ti comes with 1 of each, a .8 ohm ceramic coil and a .5 ohm plex3d mesh coil. They also included 2 extra .5 ohm coils so i used all 4 sent to me 3 of the plex3D and 1 ceramic. I used all 50/50 and 60/40 nic salt juices 20-25 mg nicotine. The draw is a solid MTL. it’s not super tight but not too loose. A little tighter then most of the pods i’ve tried. Flavorwise was a mixed bag of barely vapable and low end tier 2 overall. Certainly not good enough to compete in today's market. To make matters worse none of the 4 coils lasted me more than 4ml and half lasted less than 2ml. Very poor coil life. On top of that I looked back and wondered if I only vaped about 10ml total in this system, how come I had to charge it so many times? Well my only thought has to be the LED randomly activating all the time and killing the battery as well because outside of that I have no idea how I needed so many recharges despite not being able to vape it that much. Overall just bad coils for flavor and life.

Pros:
  • color options (6 total)
  • Average 2 ml capacity
  • Good build quality on battery
  • nice simple looks
  • good size for easy portability
  • good ratings for battery size
  • charges fast enough (under 75 mins)
  • pods are easy to remove and install
  • easy to fill
  • Passthrough Vaping
  • led is easy to see
  • inhale to fire worked good
  • comes with 2 pods
Cons:
  • dark tinted pods hard to see juice level
  • Battery meter poorly spaced
  • they should list the charge rate
  • poor flavor for a pod system
  • battery dies way too fast due to LED random activation
  • need to pull pod to check battery level
  • LED programming doesn't work and randomly does what it wants to
  • poor coil life
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this Pod kit or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, and this one well i’m sure if you read it all, you know this is an easy no. The main issue being the poor pods which now they are 0-3 in 2019 so far (EQs, DV, Gala) so I really hope they read this and take it to heart to improve for the next one and return to their better days. Not only that but the LED gimmick which personally I don’t mind, does not work at all and the battery meter and just so many poor choices I can only describe this device as a complete disaster, but i guess the paint looks good so it’s got that going for it. I won’t be adding this to my spreadsheet of recs which is linked below, feel free to check that out if you are in the market for anything.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and I'll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from innokin

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done over 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors