Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Hcigar Wildwolf 235 Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Hcigar Wildwolf 235 box Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is a retail version and not marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Hcigar Wildwolf 235 Mod is the latest mod from longtime manufacturer Hcigar. They are an interesting company though who started out being popular by making clone mechs and RDAs, after that they gained popularity by making affordable DNA chipped mods like the VT133 and VT167. Now they are making mods that use their own chips labeled as the Towis chips. I reviewed one recently in their aurora squonk mod which was a nice mod as a single 2x700 squonker. The Wildwolf is a dual 18650 mod rated at 235 watts and is styled similar to an sx mini g class with it’s symmetrical design, large front facing color screen, and 30mm friendly in a small size. Looking around I see the mod for around 45 USD on pre order but some sites at 60 in stock including elementvape in the US. It’s available in 5 colors black, red, silver, blue, and silver black.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 85mm by 45mm by 30mm
  • Weight - 150g
  • Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Not Included
  • Advanced XT235 Chipset
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-235W
  • Temperature Range: 200°-600°F/100°-300°C
  • Ni200, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • Intuitive Firing Button
  • Zinc Alloy Chassis Construction
  • 1.3" TFT HD Color Display
  • Bottom Hinged Battery Door
  • Overheating Protection
  • Resistance Protection
  • Low Battery Protection
  • Overcurrent Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Overtime Protection
  • Micro USB
  • 510 Connection
  • Available in Black, Silver, Red, Blue
Included in box:
  • 1 HCigar Wildwolf 235W Box Mod
  • 1 USB Cable
  • 1 Silicone Sleeve
  • 1 Decorative Ring
  • 1 Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with the design. It’s the type of design that’s right up my alley and reminded me of the sx mini g class but with less flair to it. It’s a simple symmetrical design small mod with a front facing color screen and can handle a 30mm atomizer without overhang. It’s like a slightly bigger modefined lyra to accommodate 30mm atomizers and i love mods designed like that. Overall pretty happy with it from the start.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .14, .19, and .63 ohms. wattage points were max (235), 200, 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 178 watts and 39 amps. For the rest of the testing it was on the low side 11-17 watts at 100+ but only 1-8 watts under 100 watts. Pretty typical struggle at that resistance and on par with most. At .14 it maxed out at 248 watts. The rest were pretty good 1-3 watts high except at 200 when it was 14 watts high and 50 when it was 1 watt low. For the .2 test it maxed out at 210 watts. Again really good but a little on the high side this time 1-7 watts mostly. For the .63 testing it maxed out at 89 watts and 7.469 volts. For the rest of the testing a little high 1-4 watts which is common. The volts shows there is no boost circuit in this mod like most dual battery mods have.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. It struggled a little with the .12 ohm build which is common for most mods at that resistance to struggle a bit. It mostly hits slightly high above the .12 ohms though pretty accurate mod on par with many of the best ones. I was able to get 248 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated actually a bit underrated at 235 watts. They could have called it 250 watts and i would have considered that accurate. The 7.469 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit. Their manual lists the max Volts at 8.V so it’s plausible it can do that with a higher ohm coil, no complaints there. At least they didn’t list the voltage at 8.4 like some companies do. They list an amp limit on this mod of 36A. The most i got was 39 with a .12 ohm coil which is average for a dual battery mod (average is around 40 these days) and exceeds the listed amount so well done there as well. Personally If i was listing the specs I’d call the mod 250 watts, 8V and 40A. So overall great listed specs that are accurate. The mod never got warm when stressing it at all or had a temp protect kick in, however the metal top plate does take on heat from the atomizer. The mod has a watt curve which works well however, the mod also has a small hard preheat on normal which i’m not a fan of. Not a big deal but wish companies didn’t do this as we have a hard preheat option for a reason so no need to add it into the normal preheat either. I will ding them for that.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side at above .12 ohms but struggles a little at .12 which is normal. Underrated for watts (248), No boost circuit, average amp limit of 39 but exceeds the 36A listed. Volts tested at 7.469 so a less than the 8V listed but plausible with a higher ohm coil. Watt curve works as it should, has a hard preheat on normal however.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire in SS mode (note there is no TCR mode or TCR adjustments), I tested 8 builds. 2 simple round single coil, 2 simple round dual Coil, 2 large fancy single coils builds, and 2 large fancy dual coil builds. The mod has full adjustable watts as well to adjust ramp up and works great. With that said I was surprisingly impressed with this mod. The aurora mod their last one I tested wasn’t good at TC at all, so I wasn’t expecting much, but the wildwolf performed really well. It’s good for a warm vape around the 460-500F range so it does hit a little on the weak side. Maybe like 30-50F weaker then it should, but outside of that no complaints. It was consistent, good smooth throttle, the wattage setting adjusts ramp up, no dry hits. Everything I look for in a TC mod passes. Just as good as your typical aspire, innokin, vaporesso, smoant, etc mod so pretty impressed there. Just note due to no TCR adjustments (which i’ll ding them for) using SS430 or nife or other wires may not be feasible. I’d stick to SS316 only on this mod. It does have Ti and Ni200 mode as well but i’m not a fan of those wire types. Overall a very good performing mod in TC at the price point.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click to lock the mod. There is no off button, however the mod automatically turns off after sitting idle for around 60 mins. The menu system is really easy to use and well done. There is a menu button and it works similar to the DNA250c chip. You press menu, then you use plus or minus to highlight what you want to adjust then press menu so you can adjust it. For modes you have temp, volts, and watts. Each mode has sub modes. For watts it’s soft preheat, normal preheat, powerful preheat, and watt curve mode. For volts there is no sub mode. For Temp it’s it’s Ni, Ti, SS, Ni curve, Ti curve, and SS curve. You can also highlight the temp type to change from F to C (Fahrenheit to Celsius) and highlight the watts to adjust them. Very nicely done and easy to use.

The Hcigar Wildwolf 235 adjusts by .1 watt increments under 100 watts and full watt increments 100 or more. Holding the button down does full watt as well and it adjusts nicely and is easy to do so well done there. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and is pretty lightweight. The Battery door is a standard Bottom Latch and It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes 2 18650 batteries. Nothing we haven’t seen before but works great and nicely done.

The top and bottom plates of the mod are zinc alloy like most mods however the body section itself is made from PC (polycarbonate) which gives it a little bit of a softer feel and that feels nice and lowers the weight yet still feels sturdy. I have the red one and the color looks great and is actually red and not pink like some other “red” mods i’ve seen. The fire button is nice and clicky and a good size. It is an oval shaped button above the screen. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps. It’s also very nicely done secured with 2 screws on the outside and nice grounding and soldering and good thick load wire. It does get hot during stress testing taking on heat from the atomizer though which is normal but the mod itself being PC on the body doesn't get hot. The mod handles a 30mm atomizer flush which is great. The 510 is on a 30mm platform. I love a small mod that can accommodate that. It also comes with a beauty ring for 22mm atomizers but looks funky. It looks much better without the beauty ring. They should have made it for 25mm atomizers if they wanted to include one, but i’m not going to complain about extras. They also include a silicon case for the mod as well which is nice. You need to remove it to change batteries and i didn’t care to use it personally but it’s a nice bonus to include. The screen is a great size .96 inch square color screen that is nice and bright and easy to see. Also for branding the mod itself it just has a Hcigar logo on the back. They list 1.6A charging as well but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods and I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • 5 color options
  • Power mode performance
  • Underrated for watts
  • good amp limit (39) that exceeds the listed rating
  • good volt limit for a mod without a boost circuit
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • great size bright color screen
  • nice fire button
  • handles 30mm atomizers without overhang
  • watt curve mode
  • great menu system
  • easy to adjust wattage quickly
  • lightweight
  • very comfy to use
  • some included extras (beauty ring and silicone case)
  • TC performance
  • Build Quality
  • nice paint job
Cons:
  • no TCR adjustments or mode
  • no way to turn off manually (automatically turns off after non usage)
  • normal preheat functions like hard preheat
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this will lean pretty heavily towards the yes. It’s another one of those “budget g class” style mods like the cylon and lyra and is sized between the 2. It’s slightly bigger than a lyra, just enough bigger to handle a 30mm atomizer without overhang, but smaller than a cylon. One of the smallest mods that can take a 30mm atomizer for sure. My only big complaint is lack of TCR adjustments but outside of that you have an affordable well built mod that works great for power and TC mode and can handle a 30mm atomizer. I added this mod to my sheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Hcigar

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is an amazing little mod.....C360_2018-11-11-23-01-43-365-01.jpeg
89eb6a6deccf6723be21f0fb4e5d8491.jpg
C360_2018-11-12-11-47-31-145-01.jpeg
7255d44cd6e452c61d3f158e0d7d112c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man this mod is well built...Did you tear her apart ?

The only Mod I own that juice will not damage.......
94f147e8f1d95ec02f6042eccb966de6.jpg
77e2e80c0e2c29847329ad7fe35c21ff.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors