Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Geekvape Lucid Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of the Geekvape Lucid Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: This is marked as a sample.

Introduction:
The Geekvape Lucid Kit is the latest kit from popular manufacturer Geekvape. They have been around a long time and made some really good stuff. In 2018 they made some really good mods like the nova and aegis legend and aegis mini as well as a really good sub ohm tank the alpha and a good starter kit in the flint. So let's see if they can continue on with the ludic kit for 2019. The Geekvape Lucid kit is a kit is a kit that includes a single 18650 battery pico styled Lucid mod rated at 80 watts and includes the Lumi Mesh tank as well. I’ve already reviewed the tank so won’t be touching on that in this review. It’s available in 5 colors Black, Blue, Gunmetal, Orange, and Red. Looking around online i see them priced cheapest at element vape at 25 USD for the mod only and 30 USD for the kit

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dimensions - 75mm by 52.9mm by 26mm
  • Single High-Amp 18650 Battery - Not Included
  • Advanced AS Chipset - Fast Response Time
  • Wattage Output Range: 5-80W
  • Minimum Atomizer Resistance: 0.05ohm
  • Temperature Control Range: 200-600F
  • Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel Compatibility
  • TCR Adjustment Mode
  • BYPASS Mode
  • VPC Mode
  • Superior Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
  • 0.69" OLED Display Screen
  • Top Mounted Threaded Battery Door
  • Micro USB Charging Port - Firmware Upgrades
  • 510 Connection - Fits Up to 24mm
Included in box:
  • 1 LUCID 80W Box Mod
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • 1 User Manual
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got to see this mod I thought probably what everyone has been thinking. It’s a geekvape version of the pico. Eleaf made this design with their pico quite popular a few years ago and it has been copied several times over in other mods like the smok AL85, Vaptio Wall Crawler and probably a few others, and of course the many versions of the pico Eleaf has made. With that said i’ve never been a fan of the style myself subjectively as it does limit atty size but outside of that based on their track record i was expecting a better version of the pico so let's see if that’s the case.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .13, .15, .21, and .65 ohms. wattage points were max (80), 60, 40, and 20. At .13 ohms it maxed out at 67 watts and 23 amps. For the rest of the testing it struggled a little bit as well 60 or more. At 40 or less though it was only 1-2 watts low. At .15 it maxed out at 71 watts. The rest of the testing it was pretty good being 1-3 watts high. For the .21 test it maxed out at 57 watts. For the rest of the tests pretty good being 1 watt high excet at 60 where it maxed out again at 57 watts. For the .65 testing it maxed out at 25 watts and 3.997 volts. For the rest of the testing it was 25 watts across the board since 40 or more it hit it’s limit and at 20 it was 5 watts high.

What that shows me is a major issue. Unlike every other single battery mod i’ve come across (except the ijoy capo squonk) the lucid does not have a boost circuit. That is a major issue in a single battery mod. Now mine as a sample didn’t come with a manual. I also checked their site and no manual available either. The only listed spec on their site is the 80 watts. This is a major concern to me and feels like they are trying to hide the no boost circuit. I also really didn’t need any fancy equipment to know this. One of the first things I used on this was the citadel RDA with a .55 ohm build that needed about 40-45 watts and it couldn’t power it. At first i thought maybe it’s just a weak hitter (but it did work fine with the included lumi tank which is a .3 ohm and only needs 30-35 watts which is only about 3-3.24 volts) but i turned it all the way up to 80 and it still couldn’t power it so at that point I already knew it lacked a boost circuit. The testing was really just a confirmation. I haven’t checked any other reviews on this but will after posting this in the hopes someone has mentioned this and made a big deal out of it. It makes this mod not very usable as far as what is expected from a modern day regulated single battery mod.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
No boost circuit so fail

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a standard 5 click of the fire button to turn on and off. Outside of that it lacks a true menu system. You just use 3 clicks to cycle to the next mode. It cycles bypass, settings, power, watt curve (VPC), SS, ni, ti, and TCR. those are all the mods. It’s also not very responsive often needing extra clicks to work or several tries. Up and fire locks the adjustment buttons. Up and down allow you to enter the sub menu of any mode for adjustments (or enter the settings menu when in settings mode) Power has preheats, VPC allows you to program the curves, and the TC modes allow you to adjust the TCR. to change the watts for TC you have to do that in the settings menu. Really just not well done and a huge step back for geekvape compared to their much better mods

The Geekvape Lucid adjusts by .1 watt increments. If you hold the adjustment button it does full watts as well and scrolls pretty fast. Not bad but half watt or full watt increments would have been nicer. The mod itself is built solid with no rattle at all, and very lightweight. The Battery door is the “pico styled” cap you unscrew. The threading is nice and it’s easy to get in and out without damaging wraps. The only marking though is a very small hard to see “-” (for negative) on the inside of the battery cap. I would have liked to see it clearly marked better. The battery goes in positive side down so the cap screws over the negative

The paint is pretty nice as well with no signs of wearing. It’s mostly a metal body that is silver and gunmetal with the coloring being a rubber coating on the front only. It’s not bad looking but IDK why just not a fan personally of the design. Especially using the pico X side by side with it’s full rubber coating.

The fire button is a decent sized and clicky fire button shaped like a simple oval. It works well and It never gets stuck or anything though which is as it should be and is really comfy to use and quite large. The 510 is pretty bad threading wise. I had to clean it up a lot as tanks were really hard to get on and off right from the start which helped a bit but it’s still got “dead spots” in it where it’s really hard to screw off or on an atomizer. The threading should have been way better. The mod handles a 24mm atomizer max due to the battery cap. Not a fan of mods limiting size but 24 should be good enough for a single battery mod. The screen is a very small black and white “old school DNA” style screen. Not a fan of that personally. It’s bright enough though and not dim but not very clear and quite small . Also for branding the mod itself there is “lucid” on the back side so not too bad. They don’t list a charging rate but i don’t recommend charging internally in your mods like these so I don’t test charge rates of devices like this due to that.

Pros:
  • batteries are easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • color options (5)
  • nice fire button
  • small portable size
  • nice paint/rubber coating
Cons:
  • Old outdated menu system
  • 24mm atomizer limit
  • Power mode performance is terrible due to no boost circuit
  • small not clear screen
  • 510 pin threading is bad
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mos or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no but this one is an easy no as in avoid this mod. I expected based on their track record a better version of a pico and what i actually got was a much worse version of a pico. The lack of a boost circuit in a single cell regulated mod is unacceptable these days and really hurts the performance of the mod not to mention the bad 510 pin. No reason to even go into the other cons as those 2 are deal breakers. I just hope i’m not the only one who speaks out on this, I’ll won’t be adding the mod to my spreadsheet of recs linked down below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Geekvape

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors