Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Desire Squonky Tank Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Desire Squonky Tank. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links. Note: this is marked as a sample

Introduction:
The Desire Squonky Tank is the latest sub ohm tank from long time somewhat popular manufacturer Desire. I’ve always liked their RDA offerings for years, but this year they really came on strong with some good squonk mods (rage and cut) a really good single 2x700 mod (mad mod), a great RDA (mad dog V2) and even a good sub ohm tank (m-tank) so we’ll see if they can continue that trend with the squonky. The squonky tank is a pretty standard sub ohm tank kind of similar in design to the innokin zenith however with the added feature that you can refill the tank by squonking as well. It’s available in 2 colors Black, and SS. Looking around online i only see it available from china sites in the 25-30 USD prince range

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Resistance: 0.4 ohm mesh coil and 0.8 ohm ceramic coil
  • Size: 24.5x52mm
  • Weight: 80g
  • Capacity: 2ml
  • Bottom e-juice injection product
  • Independent e-juice tank
Included in box:
  • 1x Squonky tank (0.4ohm mesh coil)
  • 1x small bag accessories
  • 1x 0.8ohm ceramic coil
  • 1x instruction manual
  • 1x warranty card
Coil Options (coils are kanthal unless otherwise stated)
  • .4 ohm mesh SSC Coil 30-35 watts
  • .8 ohm ceramic coil 10-16 watts
Picture Album
album

Looks and Design
The Desire Squonky Tank is a pretty standard looking sub ohm tank. It reminds me a lot of the innokin zenith tank with the metal cage, non replaceable glass, plug in coils, and the top fill design. It’s basically that tank but made for DTL vaping and allows you to fill the tank with squonking as well. It’s a 24.5mm tank with a 52mm height. It comes with no spare glass and only 1 capacity option which is 2ml which is a bit on the small side these days. Outside of that it’s a standard looking metal tank. They also include a 510 resin dragon scale drip tip that looks great. Overall though this type of tank is pretty popular these days so nothing stands out really. They offer it in 2 colors only black and SS so not many options. Overall I find it to be an average looking tank with a metal cage around the glass.

Features and Functions
The Desire Squonky Tank uses a standard 510 o-ring drip tip so you can also use your own if you’d like. The drip tip is a snakeskin resin one so it’ll differ based on the color you choose. SS comes with a black one while black comes with a rainbow looking one. All the threading on this tank is excellent. It’s a very nicely built tank with good quality. The coil system is a plug in type like the zenith or crown 3 tanks where you insert it into the tank itself then screw the base on. You need the tank to be empty as well to swap coils. Airflow is 2 large holes equally spaced apart on the bottom. It’s plenty of air, easily made for DTL vaping. The AFC is smooth and easy to adjust even on mod thanks to the nice raised bumps on it and it’s on a stopper. Filling is easy as well, it uses a top fill like the zenith tank where there is clear open and close markers. You can see the hole with it shut but covered and you rotate the top part to slide it open. The fill hole is a good size as well. You can also fill it by squonking but you will still need to open that hole to relieve pressure to allow the juice to come in and it worked well for me. It comes with a standard 2ml capacity only.

Coil Performance
Now to the important stuff. How does it vape? There are 2 coil options in total and no RBA head. It comes with both of the coil options which are the .4 ohm SSC mesh coil and the .8 ohm ceramic MTL ssc coill. Both are KA1 (Kanthal) coils. I started with the .4 ohm Mesh coil which is rated for 30-35 watts which is way off. It burns at 25 watts and is best used at 20 watts max. The flavor was nasty and still got dry hits and only ran 1 tank and after taking it apart it looks to be hot spotting as well which would explain it. Then the .8 ohm ceramic MTL coil. It’s labeled at 10-16 watts but best 12-14 watts. Sadly I couldn’t even vape mine. It was a pure dud that would only read atomizer short. Overall pretty disappointed in the performance in the coils, from what i can tell I basically got 2 bum coils so didn’t get to use the tank that much.

Pros
  • Build Quality
  • Looks
  • easy to fill
  • No Leaks
  • Standard resin 510 tip
  • AFC adjustable easily on mod
  • thread quality
Cons
  • Coil performance
  • Coil Life
  • no RBA deck option
  • Lack of Color Options (2 total)
  • Low capacity (2ml)
  • no spare glass
  • non removable glass makes it harder to clean
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this tank or not? I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, but i’m going to have to just say no here. I like the concept of a squonking tank and there aren't many on the market right now (just the aspire revvo and revvo boost) so it would be nice to see a lower watt 40ish watt one hit the market for people who want to squonk but don’t rebuild however this one misses the mark badly with the coils and design. They really need to go back to the drawing board here. I won’t be adding this to my sheet of recs linked below.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Desire Designs

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 300 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadsheet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors